The Official Football Thread 2007/08 (1 Viewer)

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
powerdrive said:
With the squad chelsea have, anyone could win the title.
Well Mourinho didn't last season. And I suppose he's one of the greatest managers out there? :rolleyes:

blakegman said:
I don't find his results all that amazing. TBH i think even you or i could coach Chelsea to similar or maybe slightly less results. It's not Derby County here, their roster is worth hunders of millions of dollars.

Some problems i have with Grant

1)His love for Salomon Kalou as a starter on the left wing.
2)His lack of game time for shaun wright phillips
3) he seems to sub players off when they are playing great (cole, Ballack)
4) We then seem to a lot of the time go on to draw those games.
5) he plays players out of position
Do you Chelsea fans realise that with Drogba in the team, Chelsea will always play better with the lone striker system? That's the way Mourinho played the team, and that is the way Grant is playing the team. Chelsea is lacking wingers, the only one capable of doing so is Joe Cole, that's why he has to put either Kalou or Anelka out wide. Shaun Wright-Philips would be starting every game if he was good enough. But he isn't.

Chelsea fans have been brainwashed by the success they enjoyed for 2 seasons under Mourinho. The reality is they can't keep winning every season. Grant has done well, even though he is inferior to The Special One. But to think that bringing another guy in will bring instant success is pretty naive as well. Even if Rijkaard takes over, I'd doubt Chelsea will be that much different in the short term.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
A new coach wont win use the trable, but i imagine it will bring more then 0 which is what we will likely end up with this season. The reality is a club as big as Chelsea who are trying to push their brand throughout the world cant go seasons without winning something.

I have no problem with the formation, Just some of the personnel he plays and doesnt play. If decent players arent going to get a game, they should just fucking sell them and buy someone who will.

edit: Drogba might leave at the end of the season, which would be a shame in that hes a world class striker, but interesting to see how thw squad would change/adapt

blakegman

HSC
N/A
"Wenger has a real problem with us and I think he is what you call in England a voyeur. He is someone who likes to watch other people. There are some guys who, when they are at home, have this big telescope to look into the homes of other people and see what is happening. Wenger must be one of them - and it is a sickness."

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
Gonna start posting here again, even though my beloved Bolton are having serious problems at the moment :(
Anyone watch FA Cup last night? Really impressed with WBA, they played great and were unlucky in that goal scrapheap, even when Kiely made a pretty awesome save. Not sure if I wanna watch the game tonight because I have to wake up early, but it should be interesting

blakegman

HSC
N/A
bazookajoe said:
Gonna start posting here again, even though my beloved Bolton are going to get relegated. :(
Anyone watch FA Cup last night? Really impressed with WBA, they played great and were unlucky in that goal scrapheap, even when Kiely made a pretty awesome save. Not sure if I wanna watch the game tonight because I have to wake up early, but it should be interesting
eft lol.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
aMUSEd1977 said:
Chelsea (d. Fenerchache 3-2) and Liverpool (d. Arsenal 5-3) through to the semis of the UEFA cup.

Chelsea v Liverpool for the 3rd time in 4 years :( ...and the reds have won both times :(
UEFA Champions League, not UEFA Cup..

blakegman

HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
Chelsea (d. Fenerchache 3-2) and Liverpool (d. Arsenal 5-3) through to the semis of the UEFA cup.

Chelsea v Liverpool for the 3rd time in 4 years :( ...and the reds have won both times :(
Chelsea fans should pray the second leg is at stamford bridge. I am sick of fucking losing out of the UCL due to penalties at anfield.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
aMUSEd1977 said:
Melbourne went down to Gamba Osaka 4-3 in the AFC Champions League, and unless I'm badly mistaken, they're now out.
Couldn't happen to a bigger bunch of cunts either.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Liverpool going to win.
Sorry, but you forgot to finish the sentence. Liverpool is going to win nothing.

You gotta feel for Arsenal in a way, that penalty given against Toure was dodgy, and taking into account that one not given on Hleb in the 1st leg just adds salt to the wound. Liverpool somehow have that luck in European competitions, it's mind-boggling.

Meanwhile we saw off Roma comfortably. They never looked like getting back into the tie. That penalty they received was a dodgy too but justice was served when De Rossi missed it. I just knew he wouldn't get it in, so I wasn't even worried when that happened. Looking forward to playing Barca in the semis, that's going to be fucking awesome, just fucking awesome!

Oh and we'll beat Arsenal with no problems on Sunday too.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Looked like a penalty to me but i only saw one quick replay of it . rossi shanked it though so spose it doesnt matter.

As a chelsea fan id rather be playing Barca then liverpool, maybe even man u. Something about liverpool in the UC makes be uneasy, they seem to fluke it every year.

Ive always thought that the UCL final this year was going to be Chelsea v Man u and it going to penalties. So looking ok so far.

LMF^^

(m==)m
HSC
N/A
Chelsea vs Liverpool
Liverpool vs Chelsea

Have trouble sleeping at night? A 10minute dose of these encounters will cure insomnia for ya.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
LMF^^ said:
Chelsea vs Liverpool
Liverpool vs Chelsea

Have trouble sleeping at night? A 10minute dose of these encounters will cure insomnia for ya.
Under Mourinho yes. Hopefully Grant will play a 433 and that could cause some action. I doubt it though. I can see a 4-5-1 coming.

Still, i wouldnt write the game off yet.

Gay Captain

HSC
LMF^^ said:
Sorry, but you forgot to finish the sentence. Liverpool is going to win nothing.

You gotta feel for Arsenal in a way, that penalty given against Toure was dodgy, and taking into account that one not given on Hleb in the 1st leg just adds salt to the wound. Liverpool somehow have that luck in European competitions, it's mind-boggling.
3 games when Wenger myths were exposed

Brian Reade 12/04/2008

Arsene Wenger reckoned those three games with Liverpool would produce a moment of truth for his team.
But when the truth was delivered he tried to swat it away with a lie. An embarrassing one at that. Blaming the referee for the 4-2 Anfield defeat was a lamentable diversionary tactic. Wenger failed in Europe once again because his squad wasn't strong enough and his leadership wasn't good enough.
A few myths were shattered in those three meetings about a team whose free-flowing football is hailed as the best in the land. Easy on the eye it undoubtedly is. But you don't win games by adding up the passes and you don't win trophies without a killer's mentality.
In the two games at the Emirates, Arsenal failed to score from open play and at Anfield Pepe Reina was hardly tested outside the two goals. Over the two European ties the Gunners threw away a leading position three times. Each time, very cheaply.
Advertisement

Wenger has clearly needed to dip into his £60million war chest but refused to on the grounds it might upset the balance of a team of kids who were developing together. Another myth. Most aren't kids anymore. The average age of the starting line-up at Anfield was 25.
The Frenchman's real moment of truth will come tomorrow if he fails to beat Manchester United, meaning his trophy haul these past four years comprises one FA Cup. Benitez can match his FA Cup over the same period, throw in a European Cup and possibly add a second one next month. So how come Wenger is perceived in this country as one of the great managers of modern times yet Benitez is consistently derided?
The Spaniard recently masterminded wins home and away against Italian league leaders Inter Milan. Wenger beat their ageing Milan rivals (who lie 20 points behind them) in the San Siro but failed to do so at the Emirates. Yet whose achievement had English football in raptures? Wenger's of course.
The Arsenal boss rested five first-team regulars against Liverpool last Saturday to keep them fresh for Europe. It cost them the points which probably cost him the title but no one said a peep. When Benitez did that earlier in the season he was slaughtered for being a Tinkerman.
Liverpool clawed their way back into Wednesday's game via Sami Hyypia's free header at a corner, yet no one pointed out the deficiencies of Wenger's man-to-man marking system. Whenever Liverpool concede from a set-piece, Benitez is savaged for employing zonal marking.
Maybe it's time Benitez's legion of critics within football (and Anfield) faced their own moment of truth, and admitted he is not in his third Champions League semi-final in four years because he has pact with the devil, but because he is one of the modern game's great coaches, whose only failing in top-flight management has been an inability thus far to deliver the Premier League title to Anfield.
Maybe they should accept he's been up against clubs like Chelsea and United these past four seasons, with far greater resources, and recall it took Alex Ferguson seven years to win his first title.
Maybe, now the blood is drenching the boardroom carpets, they will realise civil war has been raging at Anfield all season, and Benitez has been caught in the middle. His mental health publicly questioned, judgments undermined, spending ridiculed and forward planning sabotaged. They even admitted to actively seeking his replacement.
Yet his reserve side has just walked the northern section of the Premier Reserve League league, he stands on the brink of a Champions League Final and qualification for next season's competition. I'm sure his many critics will dismiss it as a fluke. Just like his two La Liga titles and UEFA Cup wins were at Sevilla.
What did Gary Player once say about being lucky. The more he practised the luckier he became. In the biggest club competition in the world Rafa keeps getting plenty of practice.

Maybe one day he'll get lucky, unlike Wenger, and win it. Oh . . he already has.

seano77

Walk On
HSC
LMF^^ said:
Chelsea vs Liverpool
Liverpool vs Chelsea

You obviously didn't watch the semi finals between these teams the last couple of years if you think it'll be boring. Man Utd got such an easy run to the semi's. They always do. As for the Babel penalty, you have to watch Fabregas pull his arm before Toure came the other way. This is what Toure said to the ref, too. He says if you watch carefully "It wasn't me" after the ref gives him a yellow. The Hleb chance in the first leg wasn't a penalty. The ref had a clear view. Kuyt was shoulder to shoulder and Hleb suddenly went down dramatically. In the field of play it wouldn't be a foul. Why, since it is in the box, would it be any different?

blakegman

HSC
N/A
seano77 said:
You obviously didn't watch the semi finals between these teams the last couple of years if you think it'll be boring. Man Utd got such an easy run to the semi's. They always do. As for the Babel penalty, you have to watch Fabregas pull his arm before Toure came the other way. This is what Toure said to the ref, too. He says if you watch carefully "It wasn't me" after the ref gives him a yellow. The Hleb chance in the first leg wasn't a penalty. The ref had a clear view. Kuyt was shoulder to shoulder and Hleb suddenly went down dramatically. In the field of play it wouldn't be a foul. Why, since it is in the box, would it be any different?
I think the Kuyt one was pretty questionable. probably more a penalty then not. But that said, Liverpool were the deserving progressors so justice was served

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)