The passion of the Christ (1 Viewer)

trekkie

HSC
hey,

I went to see this movie the other night with my extension class(a whole one other person, two if you count the teacher) as well as with a large group of students and teachers that just tagged along. i thought the movie was excellent and i just want to know what other people who've seen the movie think of it, in terms of its portrayal of Christ, the jews, Romasns etc, im typing a thing up for extension so ill slap it here soon.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
i absolutely cannot stand gory and violent stuff like that, even though i admit that it sounds like a good film with meaning...i honestly wouldnt be able to even lift my eyes up to the screen...so pathetic...

Edit: although, i've seen protests in the USA by Jews who claim that the film is anti - semitic

Homey

Homey
HSC
N/A
GREAT FILM

Hello, i went and watched it myself. Personally, i loved it. As a christian, it brought out intense emotions towards what Jesus went through for us. The portrayal of the Jews and the Romans was done with a careful and clever balance. Im sure you have heard/read from the media that the film targets the Jews and gives them a bad name etc. I do not think that is the case. I believe that the composer (Gibson) was very clever and balanced out the blame between both the Jews and the Romans evenly. For instance, we see the utter contempt the Pharasies had towards Jesus, and in juxtaposition, we see how the Romans offered disrespect also (especially when the whippers went crazy torturing Him). So i believe that it was balanced; because at the end of the day, the truth can be sometimes cold and hard to accept, but that is how Jesus died for our sins.
The whole gore theme to the film was very much necessary. People now-a-days need to understand to what extent this one Man went through to save man-kind from eternal death. It shows that it was not a simple "bang bang" to the crucifix and He died. NO! IT WAS ABSOLUTE TORTURE. The crucifiction as an entity was horrifying, inhumane and extreme!!!...but what one must comprehend is that the torture itself was also horrifying and inhumane. This torture is what HE went through during the crucifiction and the scourging. The gore places the responder in context as to how cruel torture and punishment was executed in those times. We must be reminded of JEsus' ultimate compassionate sacrifice for us - personally, it has changed me in various ways and made me more conscious of God's sacrifice.

GOD is awsome!!
I hope this helps
Cya

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
Mel Gibson's 'historical' movies in general were a suggestion to my class by our teacher. It can be argued that the Bible is not history, but only myth. I'm gonna be in trouble for saying that.....

Anyways, Myth is one of the areas which ur topic can be about. Mite be useful for anyone looking for a topic (still!)

Homey

Homey
HSC
N/A
The Bible is not a MYTH

The Bible is not mythical at alll...

Cactus

Sorcerer's Apprentice
HSC
That's why I said "It can be argued that..." becuase I know it's a sensitive topic involving people's faith. I'm not saying it should be regarded as only myth, I am saying that it CAN be regarded as myth....

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
Re: The Bible is not a MYTH

Originally posted by Homey
The Bible is not mythical at alll...
i thought that most christian churches believed that genesis (as well as others) was a myth?

philly17

The church well talking on what my religion the catholic church states that the bible can be interpreted to a message particulary the old testament its not 'a myth' its a guideline for the lessons learnt. I persoanlly believe the bible to being written by the hand of God when he granted the apostles the holy spirit. So no not All christian churches believe teh old testament to be myth at all so dont assume;)

philly17

Oh and Homey I like your explanation of the movie its very true I totally agree what denomination are u? u have a very strong faith and u should be comended on that

Homey

Homey
HSC
N/A
Gensis not myth

There are some denominations whom do not take the Book of Genesis as literal, but i believe strongly, that the Book of Genesis is not mythical because it is an interpretation of how GOD made the world. The entrepreneurs of the Big Band Theory are not sure what caused its occurrence, and Stephen Hawkins is not sure of this, and i remember reading some time ago, that he agrees that there must have been some divine intervention. Furthermore, if you actually read the Old Testament, stories fall into context and are sequential. Notice how Genesis was the beginning of humankind, because it states something like and GOD made men and women and told them to reproduce etc. Then bang, we end up in Adam and Eve story. I believe that Adam and Eve were banished out of the Garden of Eve, but upon banishment, they were not alone in the world (i assert this because Adam and Eve comes directly after the Genesis, and Genesis talks about the creation of nature and HUMANS) therefore Genesis does have credibility. Further more, this credibility is exasperated when the story of Noah takes place, there are links to the story of Adam and Eve and this sequential chain continues right through. Jesus never denied the Genesis (it was written by the Israelites). The theme of gensis does echo into the New TEstament and so yeh...lol its not a myth (in my opinion)

Homey

Homey
HSC
N/A
TO Philomena_86

Hey Philomena_86
thankyou very much.... im Catholic ...hehe ...your also very proud and deep in your faith...i agree heaps with your statement:
"the bible to being written by the hand of God when he granted the apostles the holy spirit."
your Catholic too yeh?

virgin^sexy

ctn, t9
HSC
Originally posted by virgin^sexy
i thought that most christian churches believed that genesis (as well as others) was a myth?
Originally posted by Philomena_86
So no not All christian churches believe teh old testament to be myth at all so dont assume;)
please note that i made no such assumptions. i did not say that all christian churches believe the old testament was a myth. i said i THOUGHT that SOME christian churches believed that GENESIS was a myth. which is exactly what i was taught in religion class at my CATHOLIC school.

Homey

Homey
HSC
N/A
nah i understand....just making a point for ppl to know
sorry :(

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Sarah168
i absolutely cannot stand gory and violent stuff like that, even though i admit that it sounds like a good film with meaning...i honestly wouldnt be able to even lift my eyes up to the screen...so pathetic...

Edit: although, i've seen protests in the USA by Jews who claim that the film is anti - semitic
ya i dont like scary movies either.

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
i went and saw it last night, and crikey was it graphic, it really hit home though!... I'm a christian too, and for me there was that emotional aspect of it, i mean he went through all of that beating and torture for us, it amazes me!... I didn't cry (quite proud!), but more than anything, i was very angry... i couldn't believe how much they tortured him, and they wouldn't stop beating him... my goodness.... i nearly threw popcorn at the screen! hehe.. He must of loved us sooo sooo much to go through all of that for us

ChoppedLiver

Has the success of the 'film' a result of massive media attention or because it is a valuable contribution to the canon of historical investigation into early Christianity?

CL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)