The Problem of Pamela Bradley (1 Viewer)

wizard146

HSC
Ok, in an effort to get back to the topic...

This is what I have been told in regards to Bradley, but I may not be right:

There is nothing wrong with using Bradley as a source. She is a historian. But it is unwise to rely solely on her for your quotes. Similarly, it is also unwise to rely solely on Bury, Green or even Herodotus for your quotes. Doing this would show the examiners that, although you are quoting historians, you do not have a good overview of the differing perspectives of the various historians, both ancient and modern, on your topic. It's not so much about who you use, but how well you deal with the issues of the topic.

The best thing to do is to learn a variety of quotes from different historians for each of your topics. For example, in Greece 500- 440BC, you might quote from Herodotus, Green, Bradley, Bury, Plutarch and Hammond. This would show evidence of wide reading and an understanding of historiographical issues, which can really impress the examiners.

IMHO, Bradley is also good for locating the best sources to use. I dont have time to read all of Herodotus, but Bradley gives a good idea of where to look for good quotes, which are often hard to find given how Herodotus goes off on tangents every so often!

So yeah, I think it's OK to use Bradley, with a few other perspectives as well.
Comments, anyone?

Magister

HSC
N/A
Re Pamela Bradley

Dear wizard.

Hear Hear!!! The most sensible comment posted in a while about this (non) issue!!

Magister

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i don't think it's such a good idea to use herodotus at all if it can be avoided (obviously more difficult if you're doing ancient greece rather then, say, rome or egypt where there are many other sources) since there's so much controversy over whether we can trust Herodotus' work or not. Surely any essay using the histories as evidence would have to at least mention possible biases and unreliability - better to use other sources if you can

wizard146

HSC
Magister said:
Dear wizard.

Hear Hear!!! The most sensible comment posted in a while about this (non) issue!!

Magister
Thanks Magister!

wizard146

HSC
silvermoon said:
i don't think it's such a good idea to use herodotus at all if it can be avoided (obviously more difficult if you're doing ancient greece rather then, say, rome or egypt where there are many other sources) since there's so much controversy over whether we can trust Herodotus' work or not. Surely any essay using the histories as evidence would have to at least mention possible biases and unreliability - better to use other sources if you can
I can't really speak for Rome or Egypt as I only do Greece and Israel, but I have found Herodotus good for Greece. And as I said before, the more sources the better.
I think it's important to use primary and secondary sources in an essay, and although Herodotus definately has bias and probably invented a lot of his information, he's one of the best and earliest sources we've got. And every source, not just Herodotus, will have bias, because it is impossible for a source to tell the whole story. I agree with you that it's important to discuss bias and unreliability, but this is important with any source. It's really up to us to compare as many sources as possible to find what seems to be the most truthful and likely story, and try to eliminate that bias. But we'll never completely eliminate it, or reach the full truth, and this is partly because history is so subjective.

Now I just sound like an Extension History textbook so I'll leave it there!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
no, you're quite right doll --> i realise that for Greece Herodotus would have to be one of your major sources, especially if you were doing Greece around the Persian Wars period. I just hate him at the moment, am in the middle of a uni course where we have been doing nothing but examine to what extent Herodotus is a viable source etc. for the last 6 weeks.

wizard146

HSC
silvermoon said:
no, you're quite right doll --> i realise that for Greece Herodotus would have to be one of your major sources, especially if you were doing Greece around the Persian Wars period. I just hate him at the moment, am in the middle of a uni course where we have been doing nothing but examine to what extent Herodotus is a viable source etc. for the last 6 weeks.
Doesn't sound fun at all! Not that much Herodotus anyway!
What uni do u go to? I want to do ancient subjects in an arts degree next year but i dont know what uni I want to go to...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Macquarie University offer a great plethora of Ancient History, and even give you the choice of a B Ancient History ;)

Magister

HSC
N/A
re Unis to do AH

Hi!

Macquarie and New England offer the best Ancient History courses. They have options that are varied and interesting. You can also tie it in with archaeology. Sydney Uni has a very fossilised faculty and courses. The others are fun!!

Regards,

Magister

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So...when do we get paid for these adverts?! .. What do you mean we dont?! But but bu-!!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
wizard146 said:
Doesn't sound fun at all! Not that much Herodotus anyway!
What uni do u go to? I want to do ancient subjects in an arts degree next year but i dont know what uni I want to go to...
Newcastle in it's swampiness all the way doll. if you end up here just remember insect repellent - if you make it through one year without getting ross river fever we'll have a party! :p

wizard146

HSC
Magister said:
Sydney Uni has a very fossilised faculty and courses. The others are fun!!
So is Sydney not so good then? I was thinking of going there becasue I heard it was good for both ancient and modern as well as languages.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
wizard146 said:
So is Sydney not so good then? I was thinking of going there becasue I heard it was good for both ancient and modern as well as languages.
Fossilised relic of antiquity. (read as: its very classical and traditional, very boring)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)