The Problem with Rote Learning (3 Viewers)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
2nd Round of discussion:

Should we lower the quality of education to give everyone a fair go?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
We don't need to lower the quality of education for a fair go. In my opinion we need more streams to give talented students more access. (I think that is what you are after)

RishBonjour

HSC
2nd Round of discussion:

Should we lower the quality of education to give everyone a fair go?
I think this whole "fair go" is bullshit. Explains why International students come here and demolish maths because most of them have "done it already".

Spirelflex, what do you define as a "talented student"? answer should be interesting.

Last edited:

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
There are some countries that don't learn ahead of us, it's harder for them to adapt to our syllabus. They succeed in maths because they are cultured differently in my opinion. Doing a topic before doesn't necessarily constitute to doing well rather how well you know the topic.

RishBonjour

HSC
There are some countries that don't learn ahead of us, it's harder for them to adapt to our syllabus. They succeed in maths because they are cultured differently in my opinion. Doing a topic before doesn't necessarily constitute to doing well rather how well you know the topic.
Yeah obviously they are cultured differently. Studying + tutoring when you start early primary (for parents who can afford in asian countries). no shit thats a different culture.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
I think this whole "fair go" is bullshit. Explains why International students come here and demolish maths because most of them have "done it already".

Spirelflex, what do you define as a "talented student"? answer should be interesting.
But in the end its only a very few amount who are like this. Its not like they are taking your band 6s or 99s away from you.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
We don't need to lower the quality of education for a fair go. In my opinion we need more streams to give talented students more access. (I think that is what you are after)
I agree with this and I believe universities do this (I could be wrong as I haven't actually been to uni). The HSC needs more different levels in more subjects, not just maths and English.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)