• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Procrastination Problem... (1 Viewer)

Dragie

HSC
Lol - I have so many problems with procrastination as well. Actually the problems could be related to problems with motivation as well...

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
i LOVE threads like this. i dont come in here often, but now i really dont at all miss school or the assessments. i almost forgot what it was like!!!

Monstar

HSC
PaleReflection said:
Procrastination is more of a problem when it doesn't actually have long term consequences. If you do an all nighter for an assignment and get 60%, then you're less likely to repeat the situation for your next assignment. But when you do an all-nighter and get band 5 or 6, it sucks, because you keep putting assignments off time and time again and your bad habit becomes worse.

lol . so true. every economics assesment/test i have done so far it has all been last night revision and cramming.. and i get 90's and high 80's. When i do that for other subjects.. it just backfires, and i get raped.

beckywecky

HSC
*Nods*

I guess the HSC isn't exactly a measure of how intelligent an individual is. Don't get me wrong, intelligence helps an incredible deal... But I think it's how much you work and study that really counts.

What's that old saying by Einstein? - "Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration"

It is so true.

The procrastination problem will never cease to be existent, no matter how hard we all try!

*Contemplates over Visual Arts Body of Work due on Tuesday*

Shit.

Haha.

Darkening

HSC
maby you should put a password on ur computer that will stop msn and go to the libary to study

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
beckywecky said:
What's that old saying by Einstein? - "Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration"
Surely Edison said it? :p

HSC
-Set achieveable goals...eg when I was doing my horrible horrible history extension major work essay, instead of putting it off and then panicking the night before it was due, I made myself do 200 words every night for two weeks. 200 words doesn't take too long, and then you can reward yourself by watching crappy television (is it just me, or is the OC a lot less addictive now the HSC had finished ._.)
-Don't Panic - You're situation will only get worse by panicking (unless you work well in a petrified state)
-Remove TV from your bedroom. You'll find that by doing this you'll have a lot more time tow aste (especially at night time) which can be use for study/assess/homework.

I didn't have a problem with procrastination in the HSC, but I had a friend you everybody expected to get in the mid 90's for her UAI, but procrastinated her HSC away and got 83.

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
heres my 2 cents...

-i guess the cure for procrastination is motivation. and prevention of procrastination is constant reminders.

-music is good. no rock, heavy metal, emo, you get what i mean. classical is purrrrrrfect

-just keep on chipping away at stuff. even if it is writing a short summary, summarising a syllabus dot point, doing an exercise out of the text book, its better than doing nothing.

-MSN does not go well with HSC assessments. put urself on 'busy' or 'appear offline'. as suggested by many, if u really really have 2, uninstall MSN. besides, u see yr mates at school in the day anyway.

-if u really cant get rid of MSN, restrict ur convos to discuss about ur HSC subjects.

-write down ur assessments and their dates due on a large piece of paper, entitled TO DO LIST. stick that list on ur bedroom wall. there is an immense sense of pride and accomplishment in getting that pen to cross out an assessment uve completed.

-do the same thing, but instead it becomes ur desktop wallpaper on your computer.

-for MSNers: write in bold and CAPITALS what u need to do on ur MSN NICK!

-BIGGY: dont try to do too many things at once. when typing up an english essay, u dont want random sounds from MSN distracting you or the threat of other assessments lurking around in ur mind. focus all ur energy and time to that one task, and get it done. if u really have 2, pile ur desk up with english-related stuff (e.g. other essays, ur perscribed texts, notes, etc...) when doing englishy stuff, and same for other subjects.

rama_v

HSC
Finish your assessments at least two days before they are due - they should be printed and in your bag, ready to hand in, two days before. If you can, set a timetable and stick to it. For example you may decide to do past papers for maths every friday from 4 - 6. (whichever works for you). Make sure u stick to it, and if possible study with friends who do work. I was very lucky in that I had friends that did work very hard, so that motivated me to work hard as well. And if its too hard to work at home then go to the library. The atmosphere will almost force you to study.

klaw

HSC
beckywecky said:
"It's due in two weeks!" you reassure yourself, as you lazily slump into your computer chair and sign into MSN.

Thirteen-and-a-half days later, you're diligently typing a thousand words per minute as you race time (and logic) in a somewhat vain attempt to complete the 3000 word assessment due in a matter of hours.

3am... 4am... 7:30am... Proud of your assessment; and your amazing ability to refrain from sleeping, you finally finish it. You grab your assessment, which is still warm from fresh ink, and run for the bus.

You wearily hand it in, waddle back to your chair and manage to stay awake for the next three hours... Until someone reminds you of the homework you should have done for Business Studies.

"Dammit," you think to yourself, as you lay your head on the desk and drift off into a state of unconsciousness; attempting to forget about the Extension English speech due in two days...

Does it sound familiar to you? If you're anything like me, you'll leave things to the last minute and end up with ridiculous sleeping patterns which resemble that of an insomniac.

It's our last year. Time to get down to business.

Right?

Apparently not. No matter how hard I try to force myself into studying, revising and doing homework and assessments before the night before... It just does not happen. I know how much we're all sick of cliches, but they speak wise and true words - You cannot teach an old dog new tricks.

I've been lazy for the entirety of my highschool life, and it's biting me back in the arse. Hard.

You would think that the 'pressure' of needing to get a 98.05 UAI for the Media/Communications course I would love to get into would be enough to make me work. Countless motivational lectures from teachers informing me of my potential is far from successful, too. Hell, I am even wasting precious time right this very moment by telling you all my problems. Ha, ha.

Apathy and procrastination are a lethal mix.

Any thoughts, any one wish to tell me to get my act together?

I would love to meet someone who procrastinates more than I. If you're here... It would be my pleasure to shake your hand.

<End Rant>
Well you can shake my hand... I've done about 15 minutes of hw at home this year... The rest I didn't do/did it at lunch. I haven't been doing classwork for most of my subjects either... sigh...

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
jujujellybean said:
Hmm. This is kinda funny and ironic. I'm procrastinating by reading about procrastinating...
Couldn't agree more....

Oh and I'm off to drink some coffee.. Best way to start a studying day. Keeps you alert :p

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
the only time i don't procrastinate is when i go to the library. yesterday was a problem though as there was some stupid korean screaming at a fucking book for like MOST of time i was there. omgosh i can't believe the staff didn't kick him out and this was at state haha ..

gatesey

HSC
HA!
same problem (procrastination)
same goal (media communications) -- (98.5)
also doing business studies (assesment on friday i completely screwed up!)
but i find food is the only way to go in a situation like that!
it's amazing the magical properties of ice cream...
and there's always the course at UTS requiring a significantly lower uai.
(doesn't sound right i know... but unless you can buy ur way in, the 'second best' option is sounding better by the minute- esp if u want to avoid Bathurst...)
Good luck anyway...
we're all in the same boat.

D

dumbstruck27

Argh I have a degree in procrastination. I'm so lazy and "I'll do it soon" is always in my mind, but "it" never gets done.

I have no self discipline, that's my main problem. Ok time to get off this forum and do some homework.

bassqueen16

HSC
oh hell i was fondly dubbed by my Ancient History teacher as the Procrastination Queen (she obviously didn't have a problem giving me full marks, knowing I'd done it the night before) and it continues, EVEN with the threat of failure the dole and a life spent with a mullet and forty twelve children... hmm maybe I SHOULD do that English due tm... :)

Mrs.McDreamy

stalker inc. president
HSC
bassqueen16 said:
oh hell i was fondly dubbed by my Ancient History teacher as the Procrastination Queen (she obviously didn't have a problem giving me full marks, knowing I'd done it the night before) and it continues, EVEN with the threat of failure the dole and a life spent with a mullet and forty twelve children... hmm maybe I SHOULD do that English due tm... :)
My problem is that i don't get full marks. I'm not doing that well at all, and i cant stop myself from leaving everything until the last second. It might be a pyschological problem!! Everyone says make study plans, do assignments well in advance, easier said that done!!! I always do things (ie go out) in the arvos, telling myself ill have plenty of time later, then i sit down to my desk at 9.30 and its already too late to consentrate! im thinking about my day and im hungry! It doesn't help that i live without my parents, just my sister! we have no organisational capacity between us. Lucky i can survive on a 2-5 hours of sleep every night otherwise i would have dropped out of school a long time ago. I have mid yearlies ext week i havent started studying for, and i know that if i want a good mark i should start! but im not gunna!
*end of rant*

bassqueen16

HSC
lol yea i only get good marks in Ancient History, but I have a new teacher now so thats prob gone down the drain, hence im screwed :|

lala2

Banned
HSC
I uninstalled MSN--luckily the withdrawal symptoms stopped after a month (just in time for the school term, as I uninstalled it in early January).

I can access the internet through my laptop by shifting the dial-up cord from our PC to my laptop, so I stopped doing that, hence I hardly went on BOS at all. The best time was just before trials--I had not gone on BOS for a straight 20 days! (woop! woop!)

Those were my main anti-procastrination strategies. I also 'chipped away' at my work--cleaned up my summaries, added more dot points (if they had been covered that day), made more notes and summaries for English, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)