The Ranking of Ye School. (1 Viewer)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
I go to a fairly low ranked school, it was somewhere around the mid 300's when I checked last year. I'm looking for a UAI in the mid to high 90's.

A trend I've noticed, whether it's right or not, is that the people who seem to be getting these high 90's UAI's go to well-ranked schools (40+) and do Extension 2, or at least Extension 1 Maths.

My subjects;
English Adv
English Ext1
English Ext2
Maths 2U
Economics
Biology

We've done about 7 assessments so far, I've been in the 90's for all of them. I'd like to think if I kept on this path I could get a high 90's UAI, but then there's the consideration that my school is ranked in the 300's and I don't do Math Extension subjects :S How badly could that rank and not having math extensions hurt my chances?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
It doesn't matter. At all. Whatsoever. Stop listening to stupid people.

If you're getting marks in the 90's you're absolutely certain to get at least a mid 90's UAI, if you contine to do so thru to the HSC.

Your subjects scale well enough (they certainly don't scale badly) and a school in the 300's isn't a bad school; it's right in the midddle. (Mine was ranked 493/618 and I got 95)

The most important thing you need to do is be ranked first or at least 2nd or 3rd in all or most of your subjects, so you are fully in control of your own results (assuming there isn't some extremely intelligent person in all ur subjects who'll drag u up).

But yeah, 90-ish marks and a high rank will get you at least mid 90 uai at any school at all.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Your school ranking won't hurt you as long as you come first in all your subjects (thus making your internals the same as your externals). Looks like you're getting good marks just make sure you come first :)

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Well, I'm first in all those courses except for Maths 2U, where I'm coming 2nd. It's reassuring to see you got such a high mark from your school. I can't believe theres over 600 schools in the state.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I wouldn't know from experience - my school was ranked around 20th, so not bad, but not great - but there have been people who went to poorly-ranked schools, topped everything, and didn't even reach 85.

While I can't comment on your school (I'm sure it's not a major problem as Captain Gh3y said, his school ranked even lower and he got 95), I can tell you that your subjects scale quite well. I don't think English Advanced scales much, but everything else scales up, and if you've been getting 90's in all your subjects, you'll be fine.

That being said, you shouldn't overestimate the effect positive scaling will have upon your UAI. It's your marks and ranks that matter the most.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Basically with your marks you'd be maybe somewhere in the middle of the rankings if you went to say, James Ruse, and so you'd get your internals dragged up by other people's external marks. So you don't get that help from a lower ranked school. That can make the exams a bit more stressful (because you realise that if your externals = your internals then 100% of all your mark is determined by the externals alone). But if you're getting 90+ consistently then you have reason to be rather confident.

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Basically with your marks you'd be maybe somewhere in the middle of the rankings if you went to say, James Ruse, and so you'd get your internals dragged up by other people's external marks. So you don't get that help from a lower ranked school. That can make the exams a bit more stressful (because you realise that if your externals = your internals then 100% of all your mark is determined by the externals alone). But if you're getting 90+ consistently then you have reason to be rather confident.
Ahh! That makes perfect sense, thanks for that. ^^

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
What cpt gay said is right

basically aslong as you are individually ranked high, the ranking of your school will have littleeffect.

the problem comes with people going to shit ranked schools,[ like mid 300's] averaging 80, in the top 10 and thinking rhey will do well in the HSC and get a uai of like 95[going off their marks this isnt unrealistic], it doesnt work like that because the trend suggests a lower ranked school tends to have easier internals, and so a mark of 80 is not worth 80 in other schools, hence their year does badly in the HSC exams and your mark of 80 is scaled down alot

That is why people say your marks dont matter but your rank does, the higher your rank the less you get fucked over by your cohort.[unless its a good year, in which case the higher your rank, the less other people are pulling you up]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)