The rejects (1 Viewer)

Osvaldo

HSC
How bout a thread for those who did not get any offers for vacation work ay? Even more so, how bout those who had a D avge, some work exp, and some extra curricular act, but didnt even get to one interview....Anyone else fit this description, or am I the only one??
Not that I am overly concerned by the way...."wipes away tears".....

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a friend who had D avg and an okay resume with stuff like tutoring and working for some programmer. He didn't get interviews for his penultimate. Beats me. His grad apps didn't go very well too. By then he was an HD avg student. He got heaps of interviews but didn't get an offer.

The system is really weird... quite a few people who get vac work are pretty thick whereas people I'd consider smart missed out. Obviously intelligence is not that important in some of the roles.

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
A large part of being successful in interviews seems to be this "cultural fit" thing. I got a position with a company which I thought I bombed the interview yet was rejected by other companies where I thought I aced the interviews.

It's only a minor setback if you don't get vacation work, over half of the people I speak with in careers fairs and company presentations did not do vacation work with the company they're representing.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
CV badly set out? Anything but a cliched cover letter? Bad answers to questions? Bad grammar?

Otherwise,

They really seem to stress out the extra curriculars versus raw WAM.

Heads up, chests out, grad jobs still to come.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Omnidragon said:
I have a friend who had D avg and an okay resume with stuff like tutoring and working for some programmer. He didn't get interviews for his penultimate. Beats me. His grad apps didn't go very well too. By then he was an HD avg student. He got heaps of interviews but didn't get an offer.

The system is really weird... quite a few people who get vac work are pretty thick whereas people I'd consider smart missed out. Obviously intelligence is not that important in some of the roles.
How can someone go from a D average to a HD average? Don't you need to get a HD in every subject to get a HD average

HSC
N/A
Vagabond said:
^

Do you not know how averages work? :-S
Assuming that a HD average = a GPA of 7 out of a total possible 7, then any result below a HD would make it mathematically impossible to have a HD average.

Based on the following assumptions:

HD = 7
D = 6
C = 5
P = 4

Say you have the following results:

7 HDs and 1 D = 6.875.
15 HD + 1 D = 6.9375
23 HD + 1 D = 6.9583333333333

Last edited:

geetarjoe

HSC
N/A
UWS-Uni-Student said:
How can someone go from a D average to a HD average? Don't you need to get a HD in every subject to get a HD average
They'd be taking the numerical value of their grades, and working out their letter grade average from that. An HD could be anything above 80, a D anything above 70.

Say, two 75s. Average of 75% = D average.

Then he gets two 100's. Average is now 87.5%, an HD average.

But if you only got letter grades, then anything other than an HD would drop your average to less than an HD.

Vagabond said:
Do you not know how averages work? :-S
Useful comment. Instead of thinking about it you shot from the hip.

To the original poster, your applications are more than grades and extracurricular activities. Your cover letter needs to be sharp, as does your resume. You need to reply to the selection criteria each company uses, or alternatively make yourself sound like you are suited to the job offered.

EDIT: too late. See above.

akkountant

HSC
N/A
Vagabond said:
CV badly set out? Anything but a cliched cover letter? Bad answers to questions? Bad grammar?

Otherwise,

They really seem to stress out the extra curriculars versus raw WAM.

Heads up, chests out, grad jobs still to come.
Crappy answers in the interview. I'm always too nervous and everything I wanted to say just goes out the window :mad1:

is a roflcopter
HSC
Suvat Baby Where You Working At Summer?
Lotsa High Boys In The City These Holidays

T

Testpilot

Ok to explain this properly...

This is known as a WAM or Weighted Average Mark.

geetarjoe said:
They'd be taking the numerical value of their grades, and working out their letter grade average from that. An HD could be anything above 80, a D anything above 70.

Say, two 75s. Average of 75% = D average.

Then he gets two 100's. Average is now 87.5%, an HD average.

But if you only got letter grades, then anything other than an HD would drop your average to less than an HD.
And this is a GPA, a Grade Point Average.
UWS-Uni-Student said:
Assuming that a HD average = a GPA of 7 out of a total possible 7, then any result below a HD would make it mathematically impossible to have a HD average.

Based on the following assumptions:

HD = 7
D = 6
C = 5
P = 4

Say you have the following results:

7 HDs and 1 D = 6.875.
15 HD + 1 D = 6.9375
23 HD + 1 D = 6.9583333333333
Both are correct

Osvaldo

HSC
Ok, how would someone answer the following question: why do you want to work for Deloitte (specifically for growth solutions dept)? - which is the closest I got to getting an interview let alone a position.

phrred

HSC
were you at the monday or wednesday session

i got that question too, i made up some bullshit about deloitte being so great and their culture so friendly, and i said growth solutions sounded interesting and gave you exp in 2 lines

Osvaldo

HSC
Neither, this was on the phone, on a saturday, while I was at work, so talk about putting you on the spot.
"'Why do you want to work in growth solutions?": duh, do I work there? Do I even know the difference between that and business risk and advisory? Its only for 3 months as if I care what position I end up with. I just want something good on my CV bitch.

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
that's why you guys aren't progressing through to later rounds. they are looking at your ability to think on your feet. growth solutions = solutions for helping businesses grow, i assume, i.e. a business advisory role. then you bullshit about how you like the responsibility of working with a business and having a direct bearing on the outcomes.

Conspirocy

HSC
stazi said:
that's why you guys aren't progressing through to later rounds. they are looking at your ability to think on your feet. growth solutions = solutions for helping businesses grow, i assume, i.e. a business advisory role. then you bullshit about how you like the responsibility of working with a business and having a direct bearing on the outcomes.
personally I disagree that these people cant think on their feet. The processes and test's they are applying to undergraduate students are not appropriate.

Asking a question to a 2nd year accounting major like why do you want to work for a firm or in a particular area is not going to get an honest response. I think for most people they would sum it up as follows: you have done 2 -3 years of an accounting major, what else are you going to do finish your degree and become a garbage man, obviously you want the job because you need a job in the area you have studied. As for why you picked that area, most people will pick an area they think they have the best chance of getting into. I think it's that simple.

All these bullshit answers like the one you just said about responsibility and helping them grow, having a direct outcome are just total buzz words and all they show is that you have no real substance or an idea of what it is like to work in an accounting role. That being said, that is exactly what they are looking for in your answer, they want you to be naieve and think that when you get in your going to be doing all this great work. Truth be told you will be looking at spreadsheets and editiing documents, in between photocopying; otherwise you will probably be on your desk having a look at facebook, or smh. (for an internship)

All they are doing is rewarding people in the recruitment process with the biggest amount of bull and no substance. That being said, I can see why these firms want to attract people with these qualities. Basically the way I see it, they back themselves to take these people with all this bullshiting ability and then give them some skills through their training (which I must say is excellent) and thus they figure it doesn't really matter what your skill set is, as long as your semi good, as they will do the rest i.e. teach you the work skills you need. What is important to them is how you relate to people.

I hesitate to make this last comment, but I will. The final thing they are looking for, at least in accounting, is someone who they don't think has options. They want someone who wont jump ship once they get their CA. So you have to look at that as well. To clarify this point, if you are on the top end of the marks at uni end, then they will still want you because they need people that are 'the best' and so they are willing to accept that leaving risk. If you are on the bottom end markswise then again they will want you because the way they see it, you wont be going anywhere soon - you are fodder. It's the middle people who are going to have the hardest time in my opinion: the firms sees you as someone who can progress quickly which may be a bad thing, they also see that you would be willing to move on - another bad thing - so they dont see you as a good investment overall if you come across as too sharp, I would try to dumb yourself down a bit if you are in this section.

So next time you are getting interviewed I guess you have two choices:
1) you can be yourself
2) you can try and play the bullshit game

I personally have been trying the bullshit game and it hasn't paid off for me, I think you need a lot of prep and coaching and advice to pull that off. I would really try to be honest about what you want from a firm and why you are interested.

But overall if your getting knocked back from a place I would see that as a positive because they obviously aren't the right fit for you culturally and if you had gotten through if you really felt that the recruitment process was stupid, you wont like a lot of things about the firm. If you don't like going to interviews and bullshitting, obviously these aren't the firms for you, in my opinion.

turtleface

HSC
True I agree.

Some people who fail I notice have a lot of cliches and generic-ness about them.

How many times have you heard:

"I am a team player because I work in teams at Coles"
or
"I am very interested in the role"
:mad1:

There is no substance there.

Some people also just apply for the wrong division. For instance, the classic example is "Finance", I cannot believe how many people don't realise that when they say "Finance" they mean CA/CPA eligibility/accounting required...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)