The relationship between Trials and the actual HSC? (1 Viewer)

bink3d

HSC
I've been wondering about this for a little while, so I thought I might as well get it off my chest before I hit my Eco papers :mad1:

Once the Trials are over, it is true that you no longer have a shot at lifting your rank at school, right? From then on it's only the HSC that determines your ATAR... yes?

This is another thing I don't get. We've been told since the beginning of time that an overall high HSC average from our school would be beneficial to us all... But what about individually?

For example:

Some guy who's been coming say... 50/180 does horribly at the HSC.
vs.
Another guy, who's been lazy/preoccupied/something and is ranked 120/180, suddenly gets motivated and absolutely tears up the HSC.

What would end up as their final ATAR?

Really confusing me. Any pointers on how this works would be great :D

FYI I go to a top 10 ranked school, so I guess that works into the equation as well.

Thanks guys!

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
After trials its the end of the internal ranking system, yes.

If a school does well overall, your internal marks are moderated up, not down like lower ranked school, which is bad because it shows that your school sets easy internal tasks compared to actual hsc level.

As for the guy coming 50/80 vs the guy 120/180, the 50 guy would be pushed up depending on the difference in final marks in the hsc, because he's obviously been trying all year and the 120 guy hasnt.

thats about it, feel free to add, subtract etc...

hollaholla

HSC
After trials its the end of the internal ranking system, yes.

If a school does well overall, your internal marks are moderated up, not down like lower ranked school, which is bad because it shows that your school sets easy internal tasks compared to actual hsc level.

As for the guy coming 50/80 vs the guy 120/180, the 50 guy would be pushed up depending on the difference in final marks in the hsc, because he's obviously been trying all year and the 120 guy hasnt.

thats about it, feel free to add, subtract etc...
woooooooo iruler returns!!! stand back ppl....let the man do the talking.

and YES i TOO am confused by this AWKWARD method of External+internal. Couldnt they just make it simple and non complicated like the EXT+INT angles of a darn triangle!.

Scinery

HSC

and YES i TOO am confused by this AWKWARD method of External+internal. Couldnt they just make it simple and non complicated like the EXT+INT angles of a darn triangle!.
I think he goes to my school lol

anyway, correct me if im mistaken.

Two students:
Person A: Internal rank 1st/180
Person B: Internal rank 180th/180

HSC is 50% internal and 50% external

Person A gets 20% for HSC exams
Person B gets 100% for HSC exams

Person A STEALS THE RANK OF PERSON B, and gets 50/50 for internal. However, since he failed the overall hsc, he gets only 10/50 for external

Person B Ends up with the rank of whoever came last, which may be 10/50. However, he gets 50/50 for external mark.

i.e both students end up with 60/100. (After scaling and moderation based on the subject this will again vary)

Tis the sad truth.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

haha thanks mate!

Just put it this way, the most important thing internally is your rank, next is your mark, which will be moderated by the board based on the performance of your schools cohort in the HSC. If people from your school in lets say chemistry do well externally, the internal marts will be moderated up (it also depends on the difference between final marks as to how much moderation will be done).

Then, it'll be sent to UAC for scaling, thats about it lol

youngminii

Banned
HSC
I think he goes to my school lol

anyway, correct me if im mistaken.

Two students:
Person A: Internal rank 1st/180
Person B: Internal rank 180th/180

HSC is 50% internal and 50% external

Person A gets 20% for HSC exams
Person B gets 100% for HSC exams

Person A STEALS THE RANK OF PERSON B, and gets 50/50 for internal. However, since he failed the overall hsc, he gets only 10/50 for external

Person B Ends up with the rank of whoever came last, which may be 10/50. However, he gets 50/50 for external mark.

i.e both students end up with 60/100. (After scaling and moderation based on the subject this will again vary)

Tis the sad truth.
This is a very simplified version. The top mark and the bottom mark (not too low, otherwise it counts as an outlier) of the external marks in your school set the range. The range of your internal marks then have to be squeezed/stretched to fit in this range. Hence the better your school does, the better your marks will be.

lychnobity

HSC
I've been wondering about this for a little while, so I thought I might as well get it off my chest before I hit my Eco papers :mad1:

Once the Trials are over, it is true that you no longer have a shot at lifting your rank at school, right? From then on it's only the HSC that determines your ATAR... yes?

This is another thing I don't get. We've been told since the beginning of time that an overall high HSC average from our school would be beneficial to us all... But what about individually?

For example:

Some guy who's been coming say... 50/180 does horribly at the HSC.
vs.
Another guy, who's been lazy/preoccupied/something and is ranked 120/180, suddenly gets motivated and absolutely tears up the HSC.

What would end up as their final ATAR?

Really confusing me. Any pointers on how this works would be great :D

FYI I go to a top 10 ranked school, so I guess that works into the equation as well.

Thanks guys!
http://community.boredofstudies.org...im-confused-about-everything.html#post4460460

Read, tis epic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)