• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

[the ROLE and ACCEPTANCE of DISSENT in BUDDHISM] (1 Viewer)

elle_06

HSC
hello out there,
I was just having some issues with my belief systems task. i need to:

"examine the role of, and acceptance of, dissent"

I have looked in the dictionary for dissent, and found its meaning, so that's a start. I was wanting to show evidence of research by taking the issue of dissent and relating it to a social/cultural/political issue which can improve my response. I was thinking of using the example of the Chinese occupation of Tibet (whereby the Tibetan monks would hold assent against the Chinese) but I dont know if it would work out, because that situation may not have anything relevant to do with Buddhism.

After writing this I just confused myself futher. Please help me, I have no idea what to do for this question.

My thanks in advance.
Elle

Kulazzi

HSC
hmmm, well what I would suggest is first find out if the Chinese occupation of tibet did cause disagreements with their beliefs since you think it may not have anythign to do with buddhism. If it does, then go ahead with what you have. If not, then maybe you can look at another country with similar situation to china/tibet. Actually, there is mahayan, vajrayana and theravada buddhism which will have slight but still effective differences. Why not have a look in that area [different branches = different countries]? Not sure if this will answer your question though.

girlonfire

HSC
You could look at gender issues in Buddhism.....like how the role of women has changed in Buddhism in the West, has this caused a divide from Buddhism's traditional roots?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)