The significance of Santa. (1 Viewer)

TimeAndTide

Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
HSC
Jesus died on the cross to save humans, but where does santa come into this whole fiasco? I mean, its not like HE died on the cross. Whats the significance of this fat-ass?

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
Ever heard of Santa being called St Nick before?

St Nicholas was an actual dude who gave gifts to people (not the whole planet of course) and there was a significance to this but I forgot why.

And considering the whole three wise men gave gifts to welcome the king of kings, maybe the two stories stuck? I just know those two things got related to each other, the act of giving eg: Christmas is about giving.

Maybe it's the whole consumer thing for the modern world. At our work place, we HAVE to write christmas cards to people, even if we don't like them. We HAVE to buy presents, and good decent ones preferably. And the children are the central gift-giving audience, and they' consume a lot.

Kinda like Valentines and Halloween? It's fun to celebrate, but it's also disgustingly wonderful for stores.

K

katie_tully

This is going to turn into a religion thread, I can foresee it already.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
Niccolò Machiavelli is also said to be a source of the santa myth. I dont actually remember the story tho...
Basically, Machiavelli wasnt a popular man... and Santa could well have been a negative sort of boogeyman image. 'Saint' Nick is dressed in brown, right? that's not the happiest colour.
I'll get the proper story.

I find it hilarious that both Santa and Jesus are simply ways to make money these days. I prefer to worship Santa tho... there are far fewer people killing in his name.

I will never, ever, ever raise my kids on the goodness of christmas being the birth of jebus.

K

katie_tully

Indeed.
Catholic Church is the richest organisation in the world. Only thing that comes close is Coka Cola. I find this slightly amusing considering back in the day, the whole point of Nuns, Priests, etc was to live a life of poverty, dedicated to God.
You didn't have to pay $25.50 for a Bible.
Where is this money going? Starving children? I think not.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
how the hell do you think the pope is still alive? he should have died long ago.

K

katie_tully

Maybe they're spending the money to clone him.
Oh thats right, can't do that. God said it's bad....Did God say it's bad to molest little boys? Obviously not.

He has Parkinsons or some shit doesn't he? Way to go God, send the Pope out with a bang. Or really, a twitch.

tWiStEdD

deity of ultimate reason
HSC
hahahahahaha!
ahhhh..... my love doth grow e'er stronger as the days pass.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
But not all of us actually believe that jesus died on the cross... so Santa gives the non-religious amoung us a way to get presents without being too hipocritical(sp?)

K

katie_tully

LadyBec said:
But not all of us actually believe that jesus died on the cross... so Santa gives the non-religious amoung us a way to get presents without being too hipocritical(sp?)
Read the story of Santa. St Nick was a devout Catholic.

It just gives us a lame excuse to spend a shitload of money for no real reason in particular. I had to struggle to remember why we celebrate Christmas the other day.

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
yeah but we don't really connect that with the modern concept of Santa do we? I mean these days Santa has pretty much nothing to do with the religious aspects of Christmas.

K

katie_tully

Let's end this with; Santa has no significance in our lives after the age of 10.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)