The Ultimate Decision of my Life. (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
redruM said:
Yeah, exactly...the PwC offer may just be too much to put down. Then again, if you were good enough this time, what makes you think you won't be in 3 years time.
If he follows the same thinking that I did- then it'd be the thousands more applicants who may have gotten better results than you would've in uni.

roadcone said:
I totally disagree. My reason being that the uts co-op is totally contingent upon you being among the top candidates in terms of your uai. I don't think it has anything to do with not being able to make up your mind, but rather being smart about your future.
It's not the UTS bit which I was referring to...

roadcone said:
With regards to pissing people off by dropping out prior to commencement it is a VERY common thing, I know a lot of people who picked up jobs in december and january because of this. You will find a large number of people accept job offers and then drop out at a later date. This is the main reason why in some years they end up with more cadets than needed as they all accept their offers. You will not hurt your career by being an indecisive 17 year old, all you have to do is be truthful and they will respect you for it
Yes there are a lot of people who pick up jobs this way; but what coud go against the person here is if he signs and cancels to go another route; do you really think it's going to be forgotten? Even some grad apps are quite blunt and ask "Have you applied here before"- lie or tell the truth, they're going to find out that you ditched them before. I also know a few of my friends (from my generation) who cancelled on contracts they had already signed- and they weren't greeted with the warm and friendly reception they had been previously accustomed to from those respective firms.

I shan't go into any more details as I don't know the definite information regarding the concept of blacklisting, but even at 17, you don't want to lose credibility over something so stupid as "I'm trying to keep my options open".

On a more helpful note though, if you are feeling rather indecisive, I'd say go with the coop. It's a much better way of keeping your options open; albeit, a much riskier one should you have already received an offer from the firm you wanted to work at.

So ultimately the decision rests with you. Both programs will be great for your career progression. One will focus more on your studies and academic achievement, the other will focus more on real-world experience and a focus on achieving your CA.

If I was in your position, I personally would go with PwC, but a cadetship is not for everyone.

But please, don't be indecisive and try to pick a bit from each barrel because I'd bet that even if you don't tell them that you've signed more than one contract, I'm pretty sure they'll find out eventually. IIRC, PwC also sponsors the UTS coop, which would make it even more awkward for you should you ever want to apply for a job there and they found out you ditched them after signing- for ther coop.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
I think most of my attraction to the BAcc program came from sentiment... ie. I saw it before the cadetships last year.. Looking at student profiles I thought it was an amazing program and basically set myself to it personally believing that I wouldn't have a chance (especially since this year they changed the application form from short answer questions to 'list your achievements')..

Looking down the barrel now I'm proud that I had the chance of taking it, but I think I'll be best suited to a cadetship.

I'd like to thank everyone (except tacky) for their input; it's been very helpful!!

Now I'd better go back to concentrating on my studies :p

Cheers

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL indeed. What's the point of a cadetship or coop if you fail the HSC :)

Btw please do post what firm you choose to sign with! If you have any Q's regarding cadetships @ PwC, feel free to post here; or PM/msn me (it's in my profile).

(I wonder if I met you at the mocktail function last Thursday)

bratty46

HSC
oh dear dear anthony and your cadetships... lol when are we getting in the newspaper?

im procrastinating.. (is that how you spell it).... i should be studying for my trials tomorrow.... arghh
and it is a big decision 'tacky' whoever the hell you are. picking where you want to work for the next four years is probably the biggest decision you will have made in your life, but i guess you wouldnt understand that... pfffffft.
good on you vagabond lol.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
You guys get mentioned in the paper? We didn't even get into our school newsletter. pshh.

And I agree- whilst 4 years isn't much in the scheme of things, it's still an important decision which if chosen correctly, can lead you down a path for the rest of your working life. If that's not a big decision; then... you and me have very different views on what's big :p

turtleface

HSC
seremify007 said:
You guys get mentioned in the paper? We didn't even get into our school newsletter. pshh.

And I agree- whilst 4 years isn't much in the scheme of things, it's still an important decision which if chosen correctly, can lead you down a path for the rest of your working life. If that's not a big decision; then... you and me have very different views on what's big :p
lol u got screwed, i feel for you..
our uni doesnt give a stuff about ca achievers. we dont even get a website mention like UNSW does lol

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Our school doesn't advertise this stuff... yet they promote every kid who wins some writing competition. psh!

ishq

brown?
HSC
You reckon CA Achievers is worth it? I mean - I'm at internship with GSJBW at the moment - should I apply for it?

I want to go overseas :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)