The well: The Students of Medical Science Society any questions you got (1 Viewer)

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
As Survivor said, if your aspirations are to do medicine. Then focus on a degree that you will do well in (a GPA of at least 5.0 or 5.5 will put u in good stead). Don't complete a degree for the sake that it might help you in med - worry about that when you are in med.

And of course, consider any backroads. There have been people I've known who've applied for post-grad med for now 8 years, and unfortunately still haven't gotten in.

s0phhhhx

HSC
hey, :)

is the whole point of doing medical science just to transfer to medicine after?

how long does the medical science degrees take to complete?

if you fail the UMAT test, can you repeat it?
Or find another way into a medicine degree?

Oh, and how well did you do in prelim year? /rankings/percentile

Thanks. :)

HSC
hey, :)

is the whole point of doing medical science just to transfer to medicine after?

No. Its not. The whole point of doing medical science is to prepare yourself for a career in MEDICAL research. The main areas of Medical research @ UNSW are:

- pathology - the study of disease, or figuring out why and how a person gets ill
- pharmacology - The study of the effects of drugs on the body and on pathogens
- Anatomy - The study of the body and tissues.
- Physiology - how the body works
- Neurosciecne - the study of the nerves + brain on a biochemical level.

how long does the medical science degrees take to complete?

The undergrad part takes 3 years (assuming you don't do any of it part time or fail any subjects). Honours is an extra year of research.

if you fail the UMAT test, can you repeat it?

Yes - you can repeat it as many times as you want.

Or find another way into a medicine degree?

UMAT is an IQ test. Most paths into medicine require some kind of test other than your ATAR or Weighter Average Mark (in university)

Oh, and how well did you do in prelim year? /rankings/percentile

? prelim year? Are you talking about year 11? If so, I can't remember

Thanks. :)
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I haven't visited BOS cause of the sheer business of honours and SMSSOC stuff. Like - we ran a free BBQ today for our members. It went well.

richardlee101

HSC
I got 93.45 for my atar. I automatically get 5 bonus points for unsw med sci and i have checked that the 2011 cut-off was 97.80. How high is my chance of getting into med sci at unsw with this atar in 2012? I'm very keen to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)