The "What are these units like?" thread for 2006 (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I know I'm not the only one who's wanting opinions from past students on various units to aid with subject selection. So, here's a thread for it

So from me:
What's CUL200 - Theories of Subjectivity - like?

(Please note that I only passed cul100, and seem to be doing much better at it's "evil twin" subject - soc180)

Also wanting to know more about:
CUL203 - Performance Studies I
CUL207 - Graffiti, Kitsch and Trash: Crimes of Style
SOC233 - Social Policy
SOC235 - Power, Difference and Recognition
SOC289 - The Sociology of Media

PHIL132 - Mind, Morality and Society (in particular: What's it like in comparison to PHIL131?)

Last edited:

buddys

HSC
nice thread

anyone with info on:
-LEGL100 The Common Law Tradition
-POL165 Intorduction to Australian Politics

thanks

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
not eye...

buddyz... "The Nick" may be able to help you... he's probably done that pol165..

is that the australian one? if so my friend did it and she said it was dry and boring but she got a D in it

The_Adonis

HSC
Alright some easy ones coz I know people have done these here...

- Accg 201
- Accg 253
- Accg 250
- Busl 301
- Econ 200

Thanks

philly17

buddys wats ya degree? pol165 is like legal studies at school for the first month then it gets hardish and really boring overall its pretty boring yet interesting...

The Nick

McBain
HSC
clairegirl said:
not eye...

buddyz... "The Nick" may be able to help you... he's probably done that pol165..

is that the australian one? if so my friend did it and she said it was dry and boring but she got a D in it
that was me fool and i'm not a she (i think) :p

If you follow politics, you'll know 1/2 the answers
Legal studies, 3/4
Do the readings, 100%doubleupcombo

Still it's not bad, and it can be fun if your tutes degenerate into shameless political slanging matches. If this happens, saying it's like Parliament is a good excuse.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
The Nick said:
that was me fool and i'm not a she (i think) :p

If you follow politics, you'll know 1/2 the answers
Legal studies, 3/4
Do the readings, 100%doubleupcombo

Still it's not bad, and it can be fun if your tutes degenerate into shameless political slanging matches. If this happens, saying it's like Parliament is a good excuse.
lol no it wasnt you! my other friend palina did it ... so there ! nerrrr!

buddys

HSC
Philomena_86, im currently doing non award, but looking to transfer into a bba and thought pol165 would be good since i did legal studies for hsc and found it interesting.

thanks the nick....the only problem i have with what u said is the reading part...but i guess ill have a fair bit...which i will have to get used to

marchetta

shut up and do me
HSC
I did pol165. The lecturer was really boring, and yeah, some of the stuff we learnt was pretty dull. But I had a good tutor who seem really dedicated and made the topics interesting. But, as I heard, pol167 and pol168 is a lot more interesting to study.

Unable 2 Comply

HSC
... said:
not many ppl will know, but eh

comp225, comp229, comp249, or either math136, elec166
Comp225, taught firstly by Ros Balantyne, ok lecturer, strict, first assignment tends to be piss easy, 2nd one is alot tougher. Second half taught by Mark Dras. His assignments tend to be alot more difficult than Ros's. High failure rate subject. Key to passing is do all assignments, do all tutorials and memorise every single algorthim taught in tutorials and lectures.

Comp229, Java, if you understand 225, no problems in learning the new java syntax. Last assignment consists of coding a game in swing, not easy. Study all tutorials.

Comp249, piss easy. Learning python is easy but can be frustrating. Python indentation is annoying.

Elec166. Waste of time, heaps shit. Nothing but memorising theory. 3 hour mixed sessions go on forever, youll love to hate electronics after this.

Phanatic

HSC

I absolutely loved that subject. Such weird, interesting topics. Dr Joseph Pugliese who runs that subject is awesome. I had him as a tutor as well as a lecturer, however I've had friends who had different tutors and didn't like it nearly as much.

cpjeeves

Totally dibble!
HSC
N/A
Phanatic said:

I absolutely loved that subject. Such weird, interesting topics. Dr Joseph Pugliese who runs that subject is awesome. I had him as a tutor as well as a lecturer, however I've had friends who had different tutors and didn't like it nearly as much.
It sounds like a really cool subject, hopefully I'll be able to fit it in.
glitterfairy - I'm going to do cul 203 as well, if I hear anything about it (good or bad) I'll let you know.

HSC
N/A
Phanatic said:

Hmm! Making me feel better (I ended up having to pick that subject of the only two 200-level cul subjects that semester). Can you remember what the assessments are like? And is there an end-of-year exam?

Phanatic

HSC
glitterfairy said:
Can you remember what the assessments are like? And is there an end-of-year exam?
When I did it in 2003, the assessments were a class presentation and mini essay (bring in and discuss a kitsch item), group participation, and a major essay which I think was worth 40%. No exam. As far as I know it hasn't changed, but might want to ask someone that's done it more recently.

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
supra
ive done bba250 and 216
their both pretty easy units
bba216 would be the bludgiest unit u could do
its like english class all over again
mostly writing like memo's comparitive reviews etc
lectures were useless but overall easy sub

anyone done
accg200, psy222 and psy234?
any advice or words of warning for them?

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
boinkBOINK said:
supra
ive done bba250 and 216
their both pretty easy units
bba216 would be the bludgiest unit u could do
its like english class all over again
mostly writing like memo's comparitive reviews etc
lectures were useless but overall easy sub

anyone done
accg200, psy222 and psy234?
any advice or words of warning for them?
psy222: stats of medium difficulty. it is like stat170 in a way, in that it may appear deceptively easy until you fall behind... it is a subject where u dont want to fall behind, though if you do all the work you should find it ok. This year it will be differnt because it is only a sem unit rather than a yearly...

psy234: to tell you the truth, i found this one pretty boring at times.. it was only when i studied for it that it became interesting. Assessments include an essay, a multi-choice exam, tut participation and a final exam. The assessments are ok but i found the final exam a joke.. half multiple choice questions which were more like ambiguous 'fill the blank'... reminded me of airy-fairy english. You need to write up 2 essays in the final exam which was ok, though you defintely need to know your stuff (i found knowing the stuff did not, on the other hand, help me with the multi-choice bit).

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
anybody done any 3rd year psych units? i need as much advice on any of them... im still not sure which ones to pick. there are so many good ones!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)