The woes of trigonometry (1 Viewer)

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
I kind of was never in class during the term we did trig functions, etc so I'm really lacking in the basics of the prelim course. Consequently, I suck at HSC trig now and am wondering what I should be doing to get myself up to scratch.

Is it possible for me to learn the whole topic of preliminary trigonometry before the end of the school holidays? That is, just studying out of the textbook (Math's in Focus).

I already have a tutor but it's at a college so it wouldn't be fair really to make him teach the whole class what I should already know.

Thanks.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
basketcase89 said:
I kind of was never in class during the term we did trig functions, etc so I'm really lacking in the basics of the prelim course. Consequently, I suck at HSC trig now and am wondering what I should be doing to get myself up to scratch.

Is it possible for me to learn the whole topic of preliminary trigonometry before the end of the school holidays? That is, just studying out of the textbook (Math's in Focus).

I already have a tutor but it's at a college so it wouldn't be fair really to make him teach the whole class what I should already know.

Thanks.
Unless your tutor is priceless, the tutor is there for you to make sure you can succeed in Maths so why hesitate to ask ?

I've covered at least half of the entire Chemistry syllabus on the core topics dot point by dot point in one day, you can do that with Maths too.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
I am sure you can do it, just dont get distracted and commit to it. Make sure you write out all your trigonometry identities and remember them

bos1234

HSC
You can finish prelim trig in about 3-4 solid days - from cambridge book

maths in focus maybe even less - 2-3

The only hard parts are trig equations and maybe diagram questions involving sine and cosine rules.

goodluck with it! bye

wonder how long the hsc trig will take to finish?!?!? any1 know?

Last edited:
HSC
.....its 2u....its not hard, its april now, and i hav finished the 2u corse in 2 month....now i got 6 months revision...and i did maths in focus and cambridge
one and 1/2 hours a dai, thats all, its not hard, these holidays u should try and finish 2u (u should of alreadi done some chapters at school) u should hav...3 chapters left?

HSC
Just because you find two unit easy it doesn't mean everyone does.

But in saying that its not overly difficult, a solid amount of work for a day or two and you should be right. :)

Last edited:
HSC
watatank said:
Just because you find two unit easy it doesn't mean everyone does.
true, but it just means they arnt putting in as much effort
begining of year 11, i was gunna get droped from 2u to general, year 8-10 i did intermedate maths!
i had 2 study my ass of throughout year 11, i had to catch up on year 10 work...now 2u is not hard for me
its all about how much effort u put in...ppl who do 4u math dont just sit around n do no work jus coz they find it easy, they study their ass of!

HSC
yeah i suppose, but you could be a little more helpful.

@basketcase89: get a mate to help you out as well, to help explain all the concepts...because trig is a lot of understanding (although concepts and derivations aren't too difficult) and you're much better off learning it than memorising formulas. get them to explain to you what things like ASTC, complements, reciprocals, cant remember what else there is and what they all mean...it'll probably shorten the time you learn trig stuff too :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)