• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

Craven

HSC
Well okay, I don't see why you can't do service when you don't normally work in the office.. if you really want to just get the CSM to lobby the SSM to steal you for a shift or two.

But I'd kill to be in the office lol.

ishinova

HSC
Oh boy I am so glad to have found this thread.

I have been working at safeway >slagway, slaveway are my preferred name< for two years.

To be honest it hasn't been the worse job. Rather be working there then at macca's or what not. I am on a contract, but it works in my favour actually.

Though just wondering on other peoples experiences about woolies and piercing policies.

Here is a quick rundown of what I went through
In December 2007 I decided to finally get my nose pierced. Just a small diamonte stud. I was told it would take a month to heal before I could remove the stud and the hole would close. That was sweet. Anyway at work I always wore a small bit of band-aid over the piercing so it wasn't obvious. My two front end managers saw but didn't really care just told me to cover it up and let it heal - whatever.

Eventually the head managers of the stores found out and kept telling me to take it out and I refused. This went on for another weeek or so. The day before Christmas, one of the busiest days of the year the big manager comes down and tells me I either take it out or I don't work the rest of my shift (I had 6 hours or so to go). I said no - ill keep wearing a band aid over it till it heals (which was 3 weeks at that stage) Anyway he said no I cant work with the nose piercing so he demanded I take leave for 3 weeks till it healed - despite it was the busiest time of the year and I worked 20 hours a week. So I happily took the leave (paid too).....and ripped the piercing out during the leave.

So has anyone eles had any hassles with piercings?

Craven

HSC
Lucky you.. holidays over Christmas! No one is ever that lucky.. lol.
I haven't got my lip pierced for the sole reason that I wouldn't be able to wear it at work or at prac so yeah.. no troubles with piercings lol, but they are pretty anal about it with girls at work with their nose or tongues done. But I'm fairly confident our management would let it slide during the busiest time of the year!

ytrbut

HSC
Why haven't you used it yet? Technically it must be used within 21 days either side of the day it is accrued.
They wouldn't allow me to take it any point within that period because we had temporary management in place of my regular manager who is on annual leave, and when I told them that was complete bullshit and that they will lose an employee and gain a massive PR headache if they even try to pull the "It's expired" stunt, they agreed to extend it indefinitely.

Black Heart

HSC
Ok. On the day before Australia day, the store manager or whoever wanted people facing the WHOLE store the WHOLE day. And I am on checkouts and we close at 6 and I was working till 7:30 and the rest of my shift was spent facing the whole store.

So what Im trying to say is....

why did we have to face the ENTIRE Store??

no one knows why really..

people said it was for Australia day..

but honestly, how is australia day different to boxing day, new years day/eve, christmas eve? We never had to do it then, but somehow australia day is different...

mitch179

HSC
Ok. On the day before Australia day, the store manager or whoever wanted people facing the WHOLE store the WHOLE day. And I am on checkouts and we close at 6 and I was working till 7:30 and the rest of my shift was spent facing the whole store.

So what Im trying to say is....

why did we have to face the ENTIRE Store??

no one knows why really..

people said it was for Australia day..

but honestly, how is australia day different to boxing day, new years day/eve, christmas eve? We never had to do it then, but somehow australia day is different...
Unless he was tipped off that someone from upper management would be making a surprise visit.

nmj

HSC
Unless he was tipped off that someone from upper management would be making a surprise visit.

Agreed. Or could simply be a case of the store not looking as good as it could.
From my expirence also, we've had Gofers to regional and upper management come in, simply passing through town outside of work hours, who have called back and given us a heads up & where to improve, just in case.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I just found out today that i cant be a supervisor! The CSM really wants to put me on service but the C/OFFICE manager wont let her roster me or any other Office Cashiers for service (Because apparantly Frontend steals all the Office Cashiers) is that allowed if the CSM wants me on service? & What about IF the SSM agrees with the C/OFFICE manager but the CSM still wants me on service?
It is a well known fact that Service does tend to steal cash office staff, mainly because good Cash Office staff almost always make excellent service supervisors. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that there's a limited pool of people suitable for office, so once you find somebody you dont want to let them go.

edit: as for your particular situation, a lot depends on who had you first and such, and the size of your store, how many other office cashiers there are. Cash Office will generally take priority of service, espescially for the morning shift

Last edited:

mlee72

HSC
It is a well known fact that Service does tend to steal cash office staff, mainly because good Cash Office staff almost always make excellent service supervisors. The problem is exacerbated by the fact that there's a limited pool of people suitable for office, so once you find somebody you dont want to let them go.

edit: as for your particular situation, a lot depends on who had you first and such, and the size of your store, how many other office cashiers there are. Cash Office will generally take priority of service, espescially for the morning shift

Well i started out on checkouts first, our store is fair sized (19 registers) and there are 4 office cashier plus office manager an 2IC (and only 3 cashiers do nights and there are 6 supervisors plus Manager and 2IC (not including me)

I do cash office 2 nights a week and every other sunday but on sunday theres a checkout shift in the middle but i want to see in that checkout shift in the middle could be changed to service.

Harry778

HSC
oh no.
We got an e-mail today about our up-coming re-furb, which kept getting pushed back untill now FINALLY!
That the new smoke shop will have black stripping that is on hinges that covers the cigarettes, so you can just flip it up when you want to get the cigarettes! It's a good idea, coz now we wont have to worry about filling and presentation as much.

Apparently it's illegal to display any cigarettes now :/

Also! The service desk/smoke shop is by itself so no more annoying operators messing up the smoke shop when I'm on lunch and opening cartons that dont need to go on! no more "can you serve on express" and "can you bring people aroung"!! that really pisses me off.

HSC
That the new smoke shop will have black stripping that is on hinges that covers the cigarettes, so you can just flip it up when you want to get the cigarettes! It's a good idea, coz now we wont have to worry about filling and presentation as much.
Those flip covers definately mean less filling, haha. It just means its so much harder for newbies to learn smokeshop, speaking from experience anyway.

ekul444

HSC
N/A
Those flip covers definately mean less filling, haha. It just means its so much harder for newbies to learn smokeshop, speaking from experience anyway.
those flip covers are so damn annoying!

'learn' smokeshop? r u supposed to do formal training for smokeshop cause my supervisor just chucked me in there one day...

Your store may still do saved transactions for smokeshop though :burn:
yeah. but thats just a pain, cause u gotta call the supervisor over, then they gotta take them back to smokeshop. i dunno y they hav to pay for it all together anyways... so stupid!

ishinova

HSC
Lucky you.. holidays over Christmas! No one is ever that lucky.. lol.
I haven't got my lip pierced for the sole reason that I wouldn't be able to wear it at work or at prac so yeah.. no troubles with piercings lol, but they are pretty anal about it with girls at work with their nose or tongues done. But I'm fairly confident our management would let it slide during the busiest time of the year!
Haha yea I guess I was pretty lucky
My Front end manager was pissed off though
and after that a few of people started got percings...whoops

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)