The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Woohoo! Got the job at Woolworths and had my induction. Unfortunately they gave me a long-sleeve shirt and said 'you get what you get' so unfortunately I've got to pay for a short-sleeve. How long does it take from ordering to getting into store?
mine was less than a week, Ensign, who does the shirts, visits the store anyway to launder cps, aprons etc. and it will come on one of those runs

Black Heart

HSC
Don't get a big head ;)
nobody like's a person with an overinflated ego. Just so you know, working in freshfood departments is harder than working at cashiers. For one, you'd probably need to help out in the Deli dept whenever htey call for an express alert.
You'll be carrying around stock all day to put into the case. rearranging the coolroom, clean up, etc.

Having an overinflated ego/big head wouldn't even come close to what I said. I was just curious seeing as it's my first job, I've only been working there for a couple of months and I'm not sure what the go is with being offered to move departments. And I was excited, seeing as I wanted to get off the checkouts and do something different.By the way, I couldn't train in the meat department today, seeing as well, there was no meat to pack with. (A cyclone up north had caused a rain depression on my city, therefore all roads in and out are flooded)The lady said that I would be "Packing meat". Correct me if I am wrong, but packing meat is just putting the meat in it's wrapping stuff?Oh and today at work was epic (she put me on registers). We had no bags and no boxes. The customer's faces when you told them we had neither were priceless.

HSC
Got my new badge today!

Having an overinflated ego/big head wouldn't even come close to what I said. I was just curious seeing as it's my first job, I've only been working there for a couple of months and I'm not sure what the go is with being offered to move departments. And I was excited, seeing as I wanted to get off the checkouts and do something different.By the way, I couldn't train in the meat department today, seeing as well, there was no meat to pack with. (A cyclone up north had caused a rain depression on my city, therefore all roads in and out are flooded)The lady said that I would be "Packing meat". Correct me if I am wrong, but packing meat is just putting the meat in it's wrapping stuff?Oh and today at work was epic (she put me on registers). We had no bags and no boxes. The customer's faces when you told them we had neither were priceless.
Its possible that the managers just thought that you were able to work independently being given a set task. This is necessary for fresh food departments, much much moreso than checkouts.

Also, I really do feel for you regarding the no bags/boxes situation. How much crap did you get all day?

debitcard

HSC
mine was less than a week, Ensign, who does the shirts, visits the store anyway to launder cps, aprons etc. and it will come on one of those runs
Thanks. I'll have to put up with long-sleeve itchiness for a week :( And what's up with the BoS reply page redirecting to the homepage when I try to reply? I have to press 'Stop' to stop this happening!

Any advice for a new cashier?

Black Heart

HSC
Its possible that the managers just thought that you were able to work independently being given a set task. This is necessary for fresh food departments, much much moreso than checkouts.

Also, I really do feel for you regarding the no bags/boxes situation. How much crap did you get all day?
Hmm, Yes that does sound right. I don't mind working independently, seeing as it's much easier to get things done, instead of relying on another worker.

Oh the no bags/boxes situation was quite fun. For the first about, half an hour after opening, the boxes outside the shop were gone. A customer even wanted all his shopping (which was a lot) packed in bags (there were barely any and they were bags that were found around the registers), So I was annoyed a bit about that. I needed the bags for people who request a bag for an item or two. He completely cleared me out.

But yeah, after the boxes went, we were out of boxes for the next few hours till my shift ended. So basically I'd tell the customer that we had neither and they chose to either put the items back in their trolley, or buy a purple bag thingy that was near the registers for $2 each. (we didnt even have any green bags)

yeah, the customers weren't pissed or nothing. They understood (from what I could see), that we couldn't help it, having no bags/boxes and all. So yeah, I didn't get any crap. Some customers were a bit.... yeah.... when they found out.

After my shift ended, a friend who worked later on, told me that heaps of boxes ended up coming out, so I was like :|

Ps. I managed to find out why my paragraphs weren't working ehehe.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks. I'll have to put up with long-sleeve itchiness for a week :( And what's up with the BoS reply page redirecting to the homepage when I try to reply? I have to press 'Stop' to stop this happening!

Any advice for a new cashier?
most new ones just try to be fast, full stop, this is a mistake. first learn your fruits and vegies, and the best way to pack bags, fastness will flow from that, not the other way round.

also, try not to stress too much, your bound to stuff up a few times, everybody does

debitcard

HSC
Thanks :) What about those long sleeves? Are they still usable for service cashier?

debitcard

HSC
Aah... don't they itch or 'chafe' your arms? lol

SDA... worth it? I'm a student (obviously) so what's with the $60 book voucher?

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad

i think the voucher is like, by lottery, i once got one though, i feel it's worth it, more for the "just in case" factor, i mean, at most it's like $400 for the whole year

but no, they dont itch or chafe me

debitcard

HSC
whoa $400... at $9.60 p/hour that's quite a bit :( The guy at induction said that you will get it if you're a student. ???? I heard they represent you even if you're not a member.

bouncingCats

HSC

With the uniforms for me they don't itch or 'chafe', just roll up your sleeves. Generally I wear the long sleeve... I was told by one of my supervisors not to buy uniforms this year because the supposed new ones are being rolled out soon...

The SDA, see what it will offer for you... If its not going to offer you anything, don't join. There are fees to pay if you join and I heard that they are good in dealing with disputes.... BTW, I won a $100 textbook voucher from the SDA last month which should come in handy (so in a way, joining the SDA will have some benefits)

Just a question on super – With the Super Guarantee (“RA RSTSG 9%” – which is on my payslip), do Woolies have to pay this guarantee into the super account on a weekly basis or on a monthly basis? I was gonna check the EBA but someone’s taken it from the Lunch Room….

Last edited:

debitcard

HSC
Was just reading the REST PDS and it's supposed to be with every payslip so weekly I guess. Fresh out of induction :)

With new uniforms, I saw a poster in the head office for everyday money and the lady was wearing a shirt with the new Woolworths logo on it. Are these the new shirts? Unfortunately I've still got 'The Fresh Food People' shirt.

bouncingCats

HSC
whoa $400... at $9.60 p/hour that's quite a bit :( The guy at induction said that you will get it if you're a student. ???? I heard they represent you even if you're not a member.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the union charge according to the hours you work? They charge me $3.30 if I work up to 5 hours...

greekgun

HSC
Which union is woolworths with? I think their with the SDA but i cant quite rememeber. Seriously the union is a waste of money, sure they would come in handy if u ever got into a really big situation with ur boss or something but other than that its a waste.

debitcard

HSC
Yeah, $3.30 for up to 10 hours - that's what the union guy said today. I think it's too much. Maybe stop wasting money on donations to the Labor Party and it'd be cheaper!!!

greekgun

HSC
Yeah SDA suxs balls. The vouchers u get from they are like to stores ive never even heard so i rly have no use for them anymore. I guess its time to cut em off my pay.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Woolies is SDA, and yes, it is a sliding scale, your looking at about $400 for a full time employee, probably no less than $150 per year.

The new shirts arent officially the new uniform...yet

legally, employers only have to pay super every quarter, woolworths pays every month IF and ONLY IF you have earned $450 in the previous month (and this is completley legal, btw).

on a personal note with unions: i would always join one, espescially in a sector like this and in the current economic climate. also bear in mind, the EBA conditions that ALL employees benefit from have been negotiated by the union, from the fees union members have paid. also remember fees are tax deductable, and honestly, you dont notice the payments at all

debitcard

HSC
aaw... I think on the spotless site it said new uniforms are going out now. Good.

I think my REST book is a bit outdated (Oct 2007) even though I just got it. Thanks for letting me know.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)