• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (16 Viewers)

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Our SM is actually encouraging pretty much all the departments to spend whatever they like (within reason). Haven't heard of any DM worrying about too many hours this week. We didn't get express alerted once today so checkouts must have been very well staffed because its not like it wasn't busy.

BSammy

HSC
Re music: my nom for worst song on rotation:

[youtube]NMwyzfnqzBw[/youtube]

You are so close, but this one is just that little bit worse.
[youtube]_Qu7jGYzS_A[/youtube]

"I'm a man of my convictions
Call me wrong, call me right"
I'll just call you a twat, you have the worst opinions ever.

"Hate me if you want to"
I really really want to!

HSC
I've got a question about pay rates to ask. Hopefully one of you could help me. I'm a casual service cashier and when my supervisor came round asking if I could work on Sundays, Boxing Day and 28/12, I said I could so she put me down. Thing is, she told me Sundays would be paid double time and a half but when I saw my payslip for last week (last week was the first Sunday I worked), it was NOT 2.5x. In fact, it was even less than double time, just slightly under. A colleague said it's because they converted it to full-time pay or something. Could someone help me out here, or do I have to talk to my supervisor? I don't really want to cuz I don't wanna look stupid by asking that lol. :p I've got 27.5hrs this week, yay!! But I'm getting sooo bored of the songs and checking out stuff cuz I've been at work everyday since last Friday and it doesn't stop till this Thurs.

Any service cashiers get cut frequently from boxes or hit your hands accidentally against the screens and stuff? I keep getting cut at work that it's not even funny anymore. :(

That Wonderful Christmas Time song is stuck in my head atm cuz I saw the title a few pages back. SIGH. Just when I get it OUT of my head when I finished work... ;).

We've had interesting late night shopping experiences in my store (in WA). Some aboriginal family came in last week and her kids were walking around. Mum, at the end of shopping, yelled at our supervisors, "Why the f*** do you keep staring at my family?" Bla bla bla and her voice got louder and louder. Basically, she was insinuating that we were being racist but apparently, someone told me her daughter was taking the cherries and spitting the pips all over. Now, if THAT isn't stealing, I don't know what is.

InAShallowGrave

HSC
Morning all!

(I'm here to complain) Basically I have the 30th - 14th off this/next month. However they scheduled me on the 29th/30th/2nd. Sooo when i told my Supervisor person she said she'd fix it, then cut allll my shifts for that week (i was still avaliable to work on the 29th) Later in the day she then cut my Sunday shift (7.5hrs) and told me "not to expect hours when you come back" FML

From what I've figured out after Christmas I'm going to have to look for a new job... (if they wanted holiday casuals why didn't they advertise for this?!?)

I thought I was doing a really good job, I broke the store record on the percent of Customers who had an everyday rewards card! and that was in my first week! I nearly got it last week as well, i missed out by 0.01%

Ahh not to worry, I'll just miss my staff discount card (I think my mum will miss it more than me!)

Everyone here have a merry Christmas :)

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I've got a question about pay rates to ask. Hopefully one of you could help me. I'm a casual service cashier and when my supervisor came round asking if I could work on Sundays, Boxing Day and 28/12, I said I could so she put me down. Thing is, she told me Sundays would be paid double time and a half but when I saw my payslip for last week (last week was the first Sunday I worked), it was NOT 2.5x. In fact, it was even less than double time, just slightly under. A colleague said it's because they converted it to full-time pay or something. Could someone help me out here, or do I have to talk to my supervisor? I don't really want to cuz I don't wanna look stupid by asking that lol. :p I've got 27.5hrs this week, yay!! But I'm getting sooo bored of the songs and checking out stuff cuz I've been at work everyday since last Friday and it doesn't stop till this Thurs.

Any service cashiers get cut frequently from boxes or hit your hands accidentally against the screens and stuff? I keep getting cut at work that it's not even funny anymore. :(

That Wonderful Christmas Time song is stuck in my head atm cuz I saw the title a few pages back. SIGH. Just when I get it OUT of my head when I finished work... ;).

We've had interesting late night shopping experiences in my store (in WA). Some aboriginal family came in last week and her kids were walking around. Mum, at the end of shopping, yelled at our supervisors, "Why the f*** do you keep staring at my family?" Bla bla bla and her voice got louder and louder. Basically, she was insinuating that we were being racist but apparently, someone told me her daughter was taking the cherries and spitting the pips all over. Now, if THAT isn't stealing, I don't know what is.
Sunday is not double time, OR double time and a half (unless it falls on a public holiday ofcourse). Sundays are time and a half (1.7x), and it is not the casual wage x 1.7, it is the part time wage for your age.

For example, just say I'm 17.

Casual wage - 11.15
PPT for 17 y/o - 9.87

When working out penalty rates, it goes by the PPT wage (part time wage), so:

9.87 x 1.7 = $16.949

Sunday is 70% (1.7x), and pub. holidays are 150% (2.5) percent.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Oh, that reminds me.. Last night we had these two women come into the store, went to the SCO machine to buy some deodorant...
When they tried paying by EFT, the pinpad kept saying "Card Read Fail", so it called for assistance. I came up, "Is the chip damaged?", I just selected no, as it didn't have a chip or anything.
I looked at their card, it had chunks missing from the magnetic bit.. I'm thinking "erm, hello?". They said "it still works though", at that point i'm thinking "*roll eyes*... obviously".
Then they went on to explain that "if you put it into function mode or something and do it manually it will work". I'm seriously thinking... what the fuck would you know you stupid person. Anyway we couldn't do anything, they had to leave the transaction..

PyroTek

HSC
Oh, that reminds me.. Last night we had these two women come into the store, went to the SCO machine to buy some deodorant...
When they tried paying by EFT, the pinpad kept saying "Card Read Fail", so it called for assistance. I came up, "Is the chip damaged?", I just selected no, as it didn't have a chip or anything.
I looked at their card, it had chunks missing from the magnetic bit.. I'm thinking "erm, hello?". They said "it still works though", at that point i'm thinking "*roll eyes*... obviously".
Then they went on to explain that "if you put it into function mode or something and do it manually it will work". I'm seriously thinking... what the fuck would you know you stupid person. Anyway we couldn't do anything, they had to leave the transaction..
in future, if a card doesn't read properly, try putting it in a plastic bag and swiping it through the plastic, or wrapping some receipt paper around and swiping it... makes them read so much easier somehow.

I love seeing these stupid customers who have the lighter coloured magnetic strips, so instead of signing the little plasticy papery bit, they sign the magnetic strip. Makes me *facepalm* every time.

Craven

HSC
Never let a customer attempt to key in their card number. It is an easy way for thieves to use a skimmed card number. Call your supervisor over next time.

bensneddon

HSC
Never let a customer attempt to key in their card number. It is an easy way for thieves to use a skimmed card number. Call your supervisor over next time.
Pretty sure since Store Release 9.3, you can no longer manually key in card details

PyroTek

HSC
fortunately the woolies EFT machines function modes are locked. You can get in with the password, I think it's <taken out>, but it immediately purges you so you can't do anything.
The only way to do it is by swiping the card I'm pretty sure (or EFT manual etc. etc.)

Last edited:

Craven

HSC
No, you can definitely key them in, we do it for bush orders. And no, it's not those passwords (and I wouldn't advise broadcasting them).

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
I didn't know you could key in the card number manually, and I did call somebody over, the svr was on break so i called the s/s girl who does svision sometimes. Needless to say, she did not know what to do lol - "go ask xxxx".

HSC
As I think Mat already said, Sundays are paid (for casuals) as 1.7 x the full time rate. Public Holidays are 2.7 times.

In WA, both Saturday and Monday are public holidays, Sunday is paid at normal sunday rates. Its just like the easter holiday, sat and mon are public holidays, while the sunday is sunday rates only.

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
As I think Mat already said, Sundays are paid (for casuals) as 1.7 x the full time rate. Public Holidays are 2.7 times.

In WA, both Saturday and Monday are public holidays, Sunday is paid at normal sunday rates. Its just like the easter holiday, sat and mon are public holidays, while the sunday is sunday rates only.
Nah public holidays are 2.5x it appears.

Also, here is a good question. For those in vic/and others whos agreements expired in July (and are still waiting for a union pay rise), do we get a a higher pay rise for the one we missed, as well as the one we will get in January, or do we miss out on the July one all together?

If so, that means I will get: july pay rise, January pay rise, and off-probation pay rise all within like a month. :D.
So what I'm asking is, do we get the July+Jan pay rise in one, or were we jibbed on the July pay rise?

Craven

HSC
Your agreement will be backdated to the end of the last agreement, and you will get backpay (a lump sum) from then up until the day it's brought in.

QLD agreement: Sundays, 150% (170% for casual); PHs 250% (270% for casual).

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Your agreement will be backdated to the end of the last agreement, and you will get backpay (a lump sum) from then up until the day it's brought in.

QLD agreement: Sundays, 150% (170% for casual); PHs 250% (270% for casual).
Ah, so basically everything we didn't earn from the July increase will be paid in lump sum? Cool

Pfft why does Victoria not get 2.7x -.-

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
Ah, so basically everything we didn't earn from the July increase will be paid in lump sum? Cool

Pfft why does Victoria not get 2.7x -.-
Pfft why are Sunday's in NZ only paid at normal rates? (As in Sunday is just a normal day)

Think yourself lucky you're getting 2.5x :p

tubtub

HSC
just curious, how much has your woolworths/bigw store made this week?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 16)