The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

magg0t

HSC
Anyone ever worked at Woolies Glenelg in SA?

I've been there for a pathetic 5 years now.

Oh the pain.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

This guide needs to be updated =).

I've recently gone through the recruiting process...it's different now. First off, the website is different (www.wowcareers.com.au). There is no phone interview. Everything's basically done online now...(store managers don't recruit, the HR staff at the regional offices do that).

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

I just went through the process and it's pretty much the same. I finished the group interview the other day and got called for a 2nd interview yesterday. I'm worried that my uni exam period coming up might put them off from hiring me but *fingers crossed* hope I don't end up doing zilch this summer like the last :(

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC

Could you give an updated version of what happens in the group interviews ?

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC

well a new development is that all of the people in the group interview get rocks thrown at them

otherwise nothing much changed...

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

Not much at all...

The test incorporates letters now though...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

Hurrah! I have a job, finally!

Just a warning, the store interview I had today was pretty tough (well, for me anyway!). It went for about 45 mins and covered alot of questions but I think it also depends on the manager. I was all ready for a relaxing interview and was abit shocked.

Interview then a callback 2 hours later :D

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

45 minutes :O

That's a bit intense!

Mine's was around 15 minutes...walk in, chat and walk out. Turns out that my store manager is an old boy of my school...so it turned out to be fairly casual.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC

mine was 5-10 minutes of proper interview then about another 10 mins of just shooting the shit anf having a casual chat, then she went and looked for a tie for me, couldnt find one and told me to come in next week for training

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

They gave me my tie and name badge at training, which we had at the regional office (training being company induction).

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC

Sarah168 said:
Hurrah! I have a job, finally!

Just a warning, the store interview I had today was pretty tough (well, for me anyway!). It went for about 45 mins and covered alot of questions but I think it also depends on the manager. I was all ready for a relaxing interview and was abit shocked.

Interview then a callback 2 hours later :D
Which woolies store and what position?

I just got my induction email.

My group interview was only 30mins, with about 15 people and all we did was sit and listen, introduced the person next to us, filled out our availabilities then left. No activities or numeracy tests like we're supposed to have. Then had my 2nd interview the next day which went for 10mins. Simple as.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC

It's a checkout position.

Induction was so boring. I kept yawning during the videos :eek:. Training was more videos and booklets even though I was hoping for mroe checkout practice. I had about an hour of practice and start my first shift in about a week and a half cos of exams. I haven't dealt with customers for over 3 years so I'm nervous haha.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC

It's not that hard :D

They asked me to stay back another 4 hours after my training shift LOL.

HSC
N/A

Anyone know if they check references these days?

I have to email two by tomorrow.. I'll put my year advisor/maths teacher but I'll ask her first. And then think of someone else.

shariken

HSC

They didn't ring up mine when I provided a reference...

!Solskjaer!

HSC
Awesome. A thread where I can bitch and moan about Woolworths, just what I've always wanted. I should venture into this sub-forum more often.

I work as a checkout chick at possibly the biggest and busiest Woolies in Sydney. I hate it. I'd quit if I knew how. And if it weren't for the fact my pay is slightly better than I thought ($9.64, 16-year-old).

Is racism, general discrimination, not being allowed to go on breaks to which one is entiltled, disrespect of availability, being cheated out of pay, etc. a common occurence at all stores?

And doesn't pay go up every year of work completed? It didn't for me.

I hate the touch-screen computer checkouts. It makes it harder to Reduce-To-Clear stuff when you need it verified by a supervisor half the time. Heh, doesn't stop me from just giving it to the customer for free.

Last edited:

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
!Solskjaer! said:
Awesome. A thread where I can bitch and moan about Woolworths, just what I've always wanted. I should venture into this sub-forum more often.

I work as a checkout chick at possibly the biggest and busiest Woolies in Sydney. I hate it. I'd quit if I knew how. And if it weren't for the fact my pay is slightly better than I thought ($9.64, 16-year-old).

Is racism, general discrimination, not being allowed to go on breaks to which one is entiltled, disrespect of availability, being cheated out of pay, etc. a common occurence at all stores?

And doesn't pay go up every year of work completed? It didn't for me.

I hate the touch-screen computer checkouts. It makes it harder to Reduce-To-Clear stuff when you need it verified by a supervisor half the time. Heh, doesn't stop me from just giving it to the customer for free.
Pay goes up on 1st July and 1st January each year by a few cents, and after birthdays untill 21

Gangels

HSC
I've been at Woolies for about 2 months now in Orange and my managers are fantastic. They're really easy going but still get the job done. They just gave me a retail traineeship so im there for another 2 years. Hooray for me. Oh well, a jobs a job. I'll have as much fun as they want me to if they pay me.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, Woolies can be absolutley fantastic if u get the right people. Like i work in like one of only two metro's in the state, and because we're so small, u get to know all the customers and all the staff, which makes for a good time working

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)