The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
In my experience with Woolies back when I was a casual, and even now as PPT, if you do this "just once" or "just this time, come on, we're desperate"

You will be put top-of-the-list for when they call people, they'll assume you're a pushover, and will nag you til you agree to whatever shifts they want you to do.

Tell them you're a HSC student, and you require time to study, and can never work late nights...

I dunno if it's official Company Policy, but for most at least, its common courtesy not to fuck around HSC students whilst they're trying to study

blakegman

HSC
N/A
tillllly said:
cause otherwise we dick head cashiers scan the barcode without looking and we have to put it through as a scanning policy which means supervisors get in shit.. is annoying however.
since when did scanning policy cover operator errors ?

It doesn't at my store.

HSC
makemearedcape said:
I take the tickets down on a Sunday evening...on the roster is says I'm a 'Systems Operator' on that day...
Should I include this in my resume alongside being a service cashier or is it just...no. Is it too small a job to put down...?
I do the same job, and was always wondering what we can put it down as.
On topic, though, I'm not sure how I could put it?

HSC
Mark-AJ said:
In my experience with Woolies back when I was a casual, and even now as PPT, if you do this "just once" or "just this time, come on, we're desperate"

You will be put top-of-the-list for when they call people, they'll assume you're a pushover, and will nag you til you agree to whatever shifts they want you to do.
QFT. I am, sadly, that person.

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
I used to be, I notice your doing your HSC this year, make sure you start now if you plan on being more resilient to that.

Simply say "Nope, sorry, can't work, I'm studying / I have assessments"
Repeat yourself ad nauseum if thats what it takes, keep doing that, and they'll realise your 'unreliable' in the sense you won't come running whenever they whinge.

As soon as your done with exams, and post-HSC insanity, just tell them your available whenever, thats what I did... trust me, after the exams, formal and Schoolies, it all dies down for a while til Uni / TAFE starts.....

Oh, and as for job titles... stick with Checkout Operator / Service Assistant, if you put down Systems Operator when you're just doing tickets, people might assume you know your way around the actual systems operations... and from what I can tell, those things are a right pain in the ass.

greekgun

HSC
Mark-AJ said:

Tell them you're a HSC student, and you require time to study, and can never work late nights...

I dunno if it's official Company Policy, but for most at least, its common courtesy not to fuck around HSC students whilst they're trying to study
Im in VCE, and when they try these lines on me (ie- please where really low on staff...we really need u etc) just say no, clear and simple. If they keep pestering tell them to fuck off because you have to study; Worked for me.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yeah, RTC stickers go over barcodes so that operators notice them, however, they are NOT scanning policy, becuase it's operator error

edit: though when I put on RTC stickers i stick them just above the number, so that it can still be punched in

Last edited:

mlee72

HSC
townie said:
yeah, RTC stickers go over barcodes so that operators notice them, however, they are NOT scanning policy, becuase it's operator error

edit: though when I put on RTC stickers i stick them just above the number, so that it can still be punched in

OMG those things annoy me especially when they are place over the barcode on an angle so when you pull them off it takes half the barcode however i have learnt that you can just go (on WOW PoS) Reduced to clear >> Unknown Item >> and select relevant departments (but you get in trouble if you use them to much cause auto stockR doesn't recognise them)

pezdog

HSC
God dammit, i have a 9 hour grocery shift tomorrow....12 til 9 :(

Completley kcufs up my weekend :mad:

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
pezdog said:

i always do 9 hour shiftso n weekend.

6-3pm on sat
11-8pm on sun

blakegman

HSC
N/A
i got an 8 hour on sunday. 10-6

Should be alright i suppose. Good coin.

born2b

HSC
blakegman said:
i got an 8 hour on sunday. 10-6

Should be alright i suppose. Good coin.
hahah lol i used to get those shifts

started as a longlife asist

then degraded to cashier lol coz of bludging.

anyways anyone used a supervisor code and got caught lol?

i quit coz i got caught lol

lol now i miss woolies lol now work or anything lol

milocole

Plane Nut
HSC
I would rather start earlier and finish earlier(ie-7am start) rather than a 11am start or so...

Say If I clock out 6mins earlier, do they care, or will they not pay me for that whole hour lol (bigW here!)

HSC
Mark-AJ said:
I used to be, I notice your doing your HSC this year, make sure you start now if you plan on being more resilient to that.
I'm not so much of a pushover now, but during the holidays I'm so desperate for hours that I'll pretty much work anything.

Mark-AJ said:
Oh, and as for job titles... stick with Checkout Operator / Service Assistant, if you put down Systems Operator when you're just doing tickets, people might assume you know your way around the actual systems operations... and from what I can tell, those things are a right pain in the ass.
I agree with this point, but doing tickets requires skills that aren't included as a checkout operator, e.g. working independently, working to time limits, etc. Even though I don't have full systems access I'm required to print the tickets out from the computer, but this is placed on my desktop when I log on.

Would something like "Ticketing Assistant" fit it, even though thats not an official position

Mark-AJ

Ncc Tardis
HSC
Fair point on the other skills and such, Ticketing Assistant sounds like a good title, could put Systems Operator if you wanted I guess...

blakegman

HSC
N/A
Mark-AJ said:
Fair point on the other skills and such, Ticketing Assistant sounds like a good title, could put Systems Operator if you wanted I guess...
How about...

Assistant System operator ?

that way you get the rep for doing it but can go "oh i was only an assistant" if they call you out on stuff.

HSC
First Shift tomorrow. Meat Assistant. I thought it was a much more general position within the department, but the store manager only described it as "meat packing" during the interview.

Is there more to it? Or am I really just wrapping meat?

After working on the counter at Maccas for almost a year, it would be nice if the job really doesn't involve customer service.

tillllly

HSC
pezdog said:

haha
yeah its poo i agree
i have a 10 hour shift every sunday on front desk
from before we open until after we shut

i feel like dying every time.

good moneys however

HSC
Oh god, MAKE THE PAIN STOP :(

I was completely alone for the last hour of my shift, everyone in the meat department had gone home. It was quite fun actually, since I didn't know where everything in the cold room is and so didn't do much work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)