The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

yobob

HSC
I know payslips are available on Wednesday from the Cash office, but do you have to collect it that day?

Can you wait until the weekend to collect it?

yobob

HSC
Its basically a piece of paper stating how much you made and were paid during the last week.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
payslips will just keep accumulating untill you collect them, they dont get chucked out afaik, i still have every single one of my payslips filed away in a drawer somewhere

lordtopcat

Woolworths Bitch
HSC
I always check my pay slip to ensure I have been paid correctly. I always keep an excel document of everytime I have worked, and what hours and what pay rate I should have got (I have two pay rates because as the Assistant Produce Manager I get a higher rate of pay when the manager is away) so I can always be sure I have been paid correctly.

If something doesn't seem right the cash office lady hides behind her desk when she sees me coming :)

Roga

HSC
KaaN10 said:
When do I get my finger scan? Didn't get it first shift..
Just ask cash office... it took me about 2 weeks to get mine so I had to manually sign in/off on paper.

Roga

HSC
Be patient, there'll be someone in there one day...

nicollette

HSC
I just got my finger scan number today. Also took two weeks. Just sign in via the book, and keep nagging your manager/supervisor about it. Then resort to asking the cash office people to get one for you. :)

Harry778

HSC
Dearr Townie,

I'm just doing small stuff in the Cash Office at the moment. Answering Phones, pick-ups and change oders. Learning how to balance the safe and all that.

I freak out when it dosent work for me!!!

WTF is National Payroll?

ytrbut

HSC
Trampoline Man said:
Looks like I might have to change my hours, going to uni 4 days a week and working in the meat department the other 3 is really fatiguing me, and I find myself struggling to get out of bed in time, even if my first class is at 1pm.

My store closes at 10pm, but do any departments (like Perishables or Longlife) work past close? Or is it only Nightfill that keeps working?
At my store, Nightfill work until 2330-0000, perishables has two people until 2300, I do orders and other shortlife refrigerated filling until when I'm done, which is often 0000-0100ish, plus the bakers start at 2300/0000. There's always someone in my store except Saturday nights, I think. On Sundays they build ends so they're there from 1400-0600 (I occasionally hang around a bit and help them out).

But, to answer your question, yes :)

ytrbut

HSC
phoneyid said:
Townie, you're doing a great service to woolies and possibly even to woolies employees with this thread.
Ditto. I've read some random pages from this thread - I'm the reading sort of person :) - and the people you've helped, whether directly or indirectly (people who see this thread when they Google their question - that's how I found it!) are most appreciative, I'm sure.

katie233

HSC
hi just new to site does any one know if u can wear a nose stud workin at woolies 4 religious reasons ? itd be excellent to hear back

ytrbut

HSC
katie233 said:
hi just new to site does any one know if u can wear a nose stud workin at woolies 4 religious reasons ? itd be excellent to hear back
Definitely not in fresh food departments, I know that much. Without looking at the terms of employment I couldn't be sure, but I doubt that it would be allowed.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
katie233 said:
yeah, not fresh food, and the general policy is only earrings in other departments, there was a case a few years back where the court of industrial relations ruled that part of the policy invalid though because of inconsistent enforcement, BUT the new agreement would may have changed that.

i suggest you get permission from your line manager, they may grant it if it is for religious reasons

ytrbut

HSC
Cos I'm in a lame mood, I went and got all my training stuff out which I have to run through every time I'm stuck doing first shift inductions:

"No jewellery is to be worn in Fresh Food departments other than a plain wedding band (no stones), one small closed sleeper in each ear, and/or an approved medic alert necklace/bracelet if applicable.

[In other departments], no more than two studs/sleepers are allowed in each ear. No other visible body piercing is permitted; this includes tongue piercing. [Yadayada about necklaces and keeping to a minimum]"

So, yeah. As townie says, speak to your department manager on your first (?) shift, if you're not in a Fresh Food department, and they may be willing to compromise, whether this means a small piece of skin-coloured tape or leaving it fully exposed - it'll likely depend on the manager of the department and the store. If you are in a FF department, the State Health Department Food Safety Acts prevent you from wearing nose jewellery, regardless of religious observances.

Hope this helps :)

PS: The case referred to above by townie is described as follows: "THE AUSTRALIAN INDUSTRIAL Relations Commission has held that a Woolworths employee should be allowed to continue wearing a nose stud at work, but not while handling fresh food or when in contact with customers...She also noted that another employee, who worked as a checkout operator, was allowed to wear a nose stud because of her religious and cultural beliefs." Source: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa5393/is_200604/ai_n21390548/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

Last edited:
HSC
Hey Townie, thanks so much for the tip on scanning. I'll try that this weekend when I work and I'll see if my scan rate goes up! :D

yobob

HSC
How much taxes do you guys get taken off your wages?

Is 10% normal?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
yobob said:
How much taxes do you guys get taken off your wages?

Is 10% normal?
yeah, between 10-15% is about average, depending on earnings

nicollette

HSC
Err, I got paid 355 but taxed like 45% so I ended up with 183. Grr. Once I get my TFN, who do I give it to? Safeway or the bank? And will they backpay the money I was taxed back into my account during the next payday?

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
you'll get it back at tax time (i.e. when u file ur next tax return)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)