• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Woolworths Thread (8 Viewers)

T_Knight

HSC
Shouldn't be as bad as Thursday night which was stupidly ridiculous!! We're only closed for just one day before reopening but with the crowds at 9pm, you'd think its the end of the world. Oh and is anyone starting to getting tired of hot cross buns & broken chocolate eggs in the lunch room lol? Ah well, easter's almost over, lets do it all again tomorrow.

nanakid12

HSC
Went to Flinders St Woolies at melbourne today, one of those mini convenience type stores. Was pretty cool. So weird seeing these supermarkets that sell alcohol compared to QLD where it has to be in a seperate store!

bernie14

HSC
Where's the Flinders St Woolies? Never seen it. Have been in the Southern Cross one though.

Having my first supervision shift next week. Any advice? Will be a 19:30 - 0:30, so think I just have to count all the registers and cover any service 10s. Want to make a good impression as they are seeing if I am going to be cut out for it.

nanakid12

HSC
It's like half a block down from Flinders St station to the East. It's one of those small convenience store ones. Had a little coffee shop near the entry too, free wifi, all the mod cons :p

This from Google:

Also good luck! One thing I was told was to ALWAYS a remember staff breaks. And that is still my main priority.

I like to be a bit chill and easy with my staff, not a strict ass hole like some people can be. If you respect your staff they will respect you, but don't be a pushover.

At our store, we usually just ensure the cleaning is done primarily, smokes are full, spot checks are done, drinks are filled, ice chest is full, confectionary date checks and filling, stock return, etc. if it's quiet we deep clean.

Last edited:

bernie14

HSC
Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, being very casual and laid back is my go. Not really the controlling type.

Another thing (sorry for the questions), can someone explain the different service calls? I hear service 40 called sometimes, what's that?

nanakid12

HSC
Service 40 is a price check. I don't even use the service calls anymore I just say what I need. Unless it's security I call service 100.

From memory, the calls are:
10: Service supervisor required
20: customer service required
30: telephone call.
40: price check
50: first aid required
60: can't remember ha. Trolley collection maybe?
70: building emergency
80: bins are being emptied at the back dock, so you can take your rubbish out there
90: phone call for Store manager
100: Security alert
200: product recall

Oh and Priority 1, for people to come and serve. They use this in the Deli as well when it's busy but mainly registers :(

FrontendFreak

HSC
Just a question, what is the point of using service 10? Shouldn't there always be a supervisor at the frontend?

FrontendFreak

HSC
Yeah, every time or area manager pays a visit, I'm always standing out watching all the registers. If it's really busy, I will jump on to express or smokeshop, but yeah, supervisor is never supposed to be on a main.

BSammy

HSC
Just a question, what is the point of using service 10? Shouldn't there always be a supervisor at the frontend?
Yes, but this is to tell them they are required at a certain register (or in liquor). It might not be as needed if it's a smaller store with all the registers closer together, but in a bigger store, or if the supervisor is busy at the service desk it's needed. Only every second group of registers has a PA tho, this is annoying if you're on one without a PA.

bernie14

HSC
Yes, but this is to tell them they are required at a certain register (or in liquor). It might not be as needed if it's a smaller store with all the registers closer together, but in a bigger store, or if the supervisor is busy at the service desk it's needed. Only every second group of registers has a PA tho, this is annoying if you're on one without a PA.
Our store is huge (I think one of the biggest in Melbourne), and calling service 10 is definitely necessary as the supervisor can sometimes be up to 30 metres away.

Cannot wait for these stupid dominoes to finish! So sick of people trying to get a few extra.

"Hey mate can I get some dominoes?"
"Yeah sure mate, how much did you spend?"
"Ah, $13. But I got two kids"
"Hmmmmm"

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
Yeah, every time or area manager pays a visit, I'm always standing out watching all the registers. If it's really busy, I will jump on to express or smokeshop, but yeah, supervisor is never supposed to be on a main.
I fking hate this, I'm busting my ass with 10 others on a register while the supervisor is reorganizing the bloody smoke shop

FrontendFreak

HSC
My store is really small and old so we don't have PA's on the mains. Only PA we have is our Cisco phone because the microphone port has been dead for years. We have these things on our registers called "bells" and the cashiers ding them to get a supervisor ;) There's been more talk about the store getting a refit soon which would be nice but I think they are keeping it all confidential at the moment. Aldi will be opening up in the next week or so, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes for us.

Those dominoes are the bane of my existence. Swap day this Saturday -_- I hate being the Saturday supervisor sometimes because of crap like this haha

BSammy

HSC
I fking hate this, I'm busting my ass with 10 others on a register while the supervisor is reorganizing the bloody smoke shop
As long as they come when you need them, why is this a problem? That is what you're being paid to do. The CSM might have asked them to fix up the smoke shop or whatever.

subtekjr

HSC
Service 40 is a price check. I don't even use the service calls anymore I just say what I need. Unless it's security I call service 100.

From memory, the calls are:
10: Service supervisor required
20: customer service required
30: telephone call.
40: price check
50: first aid required
60: can't remember ha. Trolley collection maybe?
70: building emergency
80: bins are being emptied at the back dock, so you can take your rubbish out there
90: phone call for Store manager
100: Security alert
200: product recall

Oh and Priority 1, for people to come and serve. They use this in the Deli as well when it's busy but mainly registers :(
What do the Stars mean? We often have stuff like "(Produce Manager), Service 30, Star 41" called, or "(Night Fill member) Service 30, Star 11" called. What do they all mean?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 8)