The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

BSammy

HSC
Log in to All Yours, and in the Getting Started menu there's a link to get your google plus account.

BSammy

HSC
oh man you guys looking forward to the woolworths olympic coins coming this week?

nanakid12

HSC
I saw the corecomm about them but didn't really read it. What are they? Do they actually have monetary value?

BSammy

HSC
yeah, they are legit $2 coins, there is a coloured band on them, one coin for each ring of the olympics, plus one for paralympics

youll start seeing them in your registers from tuesday.

undertides

HSC
Coins actually sound pretty cool, which probably speaks for how mundane opening my register is.

nanakid12

HSC
My managers keep rostering casual staff on and cutting their shifts on the day they are supposed to work. Lost count of how many times it's happened. I'm PPT but feel for them :/ is there anything against this practise in the EBA or anything?

They drop other commitments to come to work and then their shift gets shitcanned and they've got nothing :/

subtekjr

HSC
It's a poor practice to keep doing it to casuals (probably the reason it's happening, casuals are being cut at my store too), and the EBA states if the hours are changed (in other words cut) they are meant to notify: "Where the labour schedule is changed after the schedule has been posted on
the noticeboard, the Company will notify the employee of such changes". So they're definitely not meant to cut their shift and not tell them about it, that's against the EBA's guidelines.

Can't find anything else relevant in the EBA (there might be something else) but it's still not allowed from how I'm interpreting that.

In other news, who else hates the new autotuned Woolworths song?

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
It's driving me mental. I like the new radio and all these new songs are a njce change but every hour or so that song plays and it's getting pretty annoying.

Last edited:

subtekjr

HSC
Yeah it's quite a horrible song. Even worse, I can't even just get over the fact that it's hourly, because for my store, it plays at anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes past any hour...

I can't believe I miss Showtime

undertides

HSC
I've been casual for just over nine months. Is it appropriate to ask for part time (I need the stability, post-uni) or should I wait until they come to me?

T_Knight

HSC
I've been casual for just over nine months. Is it appropriate to ask for part time (I need the stability, post-uni) or should I wait until they come to me?
Speak to your line manager about converting to PPT to make them aware of your intentions. And keep on raising it up every so often until they consider it. Hopefully availability opens up in the near future and you'll be signed

My managers keep rostering casual staff on and cutting their shifts on the day they are supposed to work. Lost count of how many times it's happened. I'm PPT but feel for them :/ is there anything against this practise in the EBA or anything?

They drop other commitments to come to work and then their shift gets shitcanned and they've got nothing :/
Put simply - theres nothing they can do. As long as work gives notice by phone or text BEFORE the worker arrives on site for their shift , it can be cancelled - just like that. In practical terms, most workers usually arrive at work right on-time or for early birds up to 30 minutes early before signing on. Therefore work can give a casual as little as 30 minutes notice by phonecall or text to say, "hey shifts cancelled". If i recall, its around 2.7 or 2.7.6 in the EBA (pretty familiar with this scenario). So unfortunately its a legit practice.

It def sucks, but as a casual when works wants or doesn't want you, they call you (regardless of how much notice is given). Your next shift isn't guaranteed, so planning your week is a hell of a lot tougher.

Heath Loxton

HSC
To the woolworths customer service experts;
What do you enjoy most about your customer service position?

nanakid12

HSC
I thought it would be a legit practise :/ it sucks for them. There was some staff they couldn't reach via a phone call to cut their shifts, so they put up a sign over the finger scanner for them to not sign on due to their shifts being cut! Couldn't believe my eyes.

@Heath
I've been in customer service for nearly 8 years. The majority of the people I deal with on a daily basis are awesome. I love just being able to help people and ensure their needs are tended to, to resolve problems, most of of all though I just love how you can improve a persons day just by being nice and taking a genuine interest in what they have to say. And it's also awesome for me when customers are the same back to me, it makes me happy.

So yeah, most people are generally pretty good, but there are those few that just stand out and make your day and that's what I love about it :)

I definitely don't want to make this my career, but I love how it has vastly improved my social skills.

subtekjr

HSC
EBA Clause 2.7.6:

"Start times may be changed, if contact is made, prior to the employee's arrival for work. Where the labour schedule is changed after the schedule has been posted on the noticeboard, the Company will notify the employee of such changes. Notification will include contacting the employee by telephone or other electronic medium and leaving a message."

So yeah there isn't much they can do, but if they're just putting up a sign, that's pretty shitty of them to do. Wages are being squeezed by the balls by the company, we didn't have a single casual on last Saturday, only Part timers and Full timers. That's why most managers are putting their reliable workers on Part Time rosters before this time of year so they avoid having to cut their hours.

Cutting so many checkout workers though, we're getting Priority Ones so often it's like I'm working an hour or two on checkouts a day

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Ha, it seems like my store just keeps on hiring and hiring. Many of us casuals are just getting 1-2 shifts a week which is really sad to see since I love work so much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)