The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
God, I can't imagine ever wanting to progress at Woolies. I plan to be out of there in a few months. I don't hate it too much but I'm 20 so I think I should be getting an office/degree related job soon.

Pilotdude

HSC
The good thing about woolies is that it offers heaps of opportunitys to do what ever you want basically. I never thought i would want to stay at woolies, i actually hate it so much i like it (if that makes sense) and i would love to get up to upper management. Just think i'd be quite good at it :)

Found out today my service manager is leaving mid year and im prob going to get promotion to service manager and get a nice pay packet with it :) $50,000 PA which suits me just fine alot more than my friends with apprenticeships earn but they get something at the end lol!, bit worried about all the stress though lol, but if i can get ahead that way...why not!

pete_mate

HSC
Pilotdude said:
The good thing about woolies is that it offers heaps of opportunitys to do what ever you want basically. I never thought i would want to stay at woolies, i actually hate it so much i like it (if that makes sense) and i would love to get up to upper management. Just think i'd be quite good at it :)

Found out today my service manager is leaving mid year and im prob going to get promotion to service manager and get a nice pay packet with it :) $50,000 PA which suits me just fine alot more than my friends with apprenticeships earn but they get something at the end lol!, bit worried about all the stress though lol, but if i can get ahead that way...why not!

what is there to be good at? i dont know how this job could excite you.

whether or not the shelves are stacked well is the entirity of your job

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
That's what I was thinking. It's not a matter of "being too good for it" but it's not exactly mentally challenging stuff. Alot of the stuff dealt with by supervisors/managers on a daily basis is important in terms of running the store but so petty in the wider context of things. Each to their own I guess but it seriously confuses me when people think supervisor status or higher at Woolies is something to go on a power trip for or write home about.

Pilotdude

HSC
I dunno what excites me lol, i think its managing the business. I eventually want to start my own business any way but being able to see how a successful business is being run is interesting.

I dont really want to stay at woolies all my life, just want my resume to look good :D

But some divisions of woolies is good and alot of people foreget that woolies aint just a supermarket. If i stay at woolies longer than 2 years+ i will move out of supermarkets defintley.

Excalibur_

Not an Executive Member
HSC
Woolies is good because it does give those currently studying some managerial experience (in the form of supervision, both official and informal) or just general work experience to add to their resume.

Of course it doesn't mean much after you get your first grad job :p

"Chubby"

HSC
Pilotdude said:
You can always do the woolies graduate programme lol :p
My friend's sister got that!

i work at big w as an apparell associate, ocassionally recovery and sometimes fitting rooms. I have never ever been on checkouts.lol.

i have to admit..i don't mind what i do or where im currently working. Atm, all my managers are nice to me :) I just hate it when people drop things and don't pick it uP! (escpecially in footwear!!!) LOL

Last edited:

Pilotdude

HSC
No ones posted for a while!

Had a cyclone alert yesterday and had to close early. Was incredible the amount of people when we opened!!!

half hour after we opened we had a queue of 100 people waiting to be served on the main registers and 1hr after we opened every one of the 3,500 car parks in the mall car pack were taken and the line streched from our reigsters down through persihables and along the meat unit and then down to deli joining the express lane, atleast 200-250 trolleys in line!!!!!

Unbelieveable!

G

Gavvvvvin

Fuck the Woolies recruitment process is just about as useless as the Coles Myer one =\

HSC
Pilotdude said:
No ones posted for a while!

Had a cyclone alert yesterday and had to close early. Was incredible the amount of people when we opened!!!

half hour after we opened we had a queue of 100 people waiting to be served on the main registers and 1hr after we opened every one of the 3,500 car parks in the mall car pack were taken and the line streched from our reigsters down through persihables and along the meat unit and then down to deli joining the express lane, atleast 200-250 trolleys in line!!!!!

Unbelieveable!
OMG I didn't even think about that. I mean, I thought christmas was bad. Imagine what a natural disaster could do?
On a more personal note, how did you hold up? I was in hospital on friday and was discharged as they tried to free up beds. Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital was packed, so I don't know how many beds they managed to free up, or even how many were actually needed.

kaatus

HSC
townie said:
you need to be an absolute cunt just go get to store manager, it's not about smarts, it's about being a bastard

hahaha thats gold.

Pilotdude

HSC
The grad program:

You need to be studying towards or have graduated in a Diploma or bachelors in a business related discipline etc. I know someone who got into property with a diploma in frontline management, so i dont think its too hard to get into.

Basically if you dont live in sydney they fly you over for a day for interview etc, my friend from Morley had to stay the night. When he got offered the position they give you all this info about sydney and public transport. They also give you a unit for a couple of months untill your on your feet plus they pay most of your relocation costs, flights removals etc etc. So it aint too bad.

Go to www.wowcareers.com.au and its on there.

The cyclone was crap lol we didnt get much at all but got a bit of rain, which was nice from the usual blue sky and sun :)

Pilotdude

HSC
The grad program:

You need to be studying towards or have graduated in a Diploma or bachelors in a business related discipline etc. I know someone who got into property with a diploma in frontline management, so i dont think its too hard to get into.

Basically if you dont live in sydney they fly you over for a day for interview etc, my friend from Morley had to stay the night. When he got offered the position they give you all this info about sydney and public transport. They also give you a unit for a couple of months untill your on your feet plus they pay most of your relocation costs, flights removals etc etc. So it aint too bad.

Go to www.wowcareers.com.au and its on there.

The cyclone was crap lol we didnt get much at all but got a bit of rain, which was nice from the usual blue sky and sun :)

G

Gavvvvvin

Re: Woolworths FAQ- how to get a job

FINALLY got the stupid job! Anyone know how much they pay per hour for a Sunday night? And what am I supposed to wear to induction?

klyie minogue

HSC
N/A

Gavvvvvin said:
what am I supposed to wear to induction?
Thats exactly what I wanna know to. I have my induction next week. Also should you bring along anything :confused:

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC

Gavvvvvin said:
FINALLY got the stupid job! Anyone know how much they pay per hour for a Sunday night? And what am I supposed to wear to induction?
If you work midnight onwards on a Sunday it's counted as Monday hours so it's normal rate (as in usual Mon, Tue, Wed & Fri rate).

Induction - registers wear plain white collared shirt (like those school uniform shirts) or maroon polo for nightfill. Bring bank details and food (otherwise your stuck with candy machines for the whole 5-6 hrs).

klyie minogue

HSC
N/A

The induction goes from 8:00am - 4:30 what exactly do they make you do other then watch videos? (I applied for a night fill position)

hmmm... if they don't tell you to wear a maroon polo to the induction would they care if u just wear something like smart casual?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)