The Woolworths Thread (3 Viewers)

the way to go

HSC
6-24
changed ours to be same as the local Coles!
good job staying ahead of the game!
I'm sure the 5 extra customers are worth the extra hours of wages!

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Out of curiosity, what's the pay like at woollies? Also can you do part time?

the way to go

HSC
everyone get on all yours and vote for the dress up day theme, farmers been done, like wise with Hawaiian, Pirates too much effort and crazy hair means no mufti, so a lazy pyjama day sounds great to me :D hahah

nanakid12

HSC
Our trading hours are the exact same, 8am-9pm weekdays, 8am-5pm Saturday and closed Sunday.
Urgh. When we Sunday trade (like for the two weeks before Xmas) we have this one wacky Sunday where we're open like 10:30am-4pm or something. :S

Also, I heard that our CSM is going to be getting his own uniform sometime in June... not sure whether its for all Department managers or just for the CSM?

p3rf3ction

HSC
any1 know the pay rate for a 17 year old? And i've heard they upgrade your pay after your each birthday. If so, if ur birthdays in a month or two after getting employed, would that mean they'd still upgrade it?

nanakid12

HSC
We wore the Easter bunny ears? I bent mine backwards to try and make them look 'cool' :) oh and I did an amazing BBQ.

nanakid12

HSC
Anyone got any tips for forcing yourself to have a short temper? I'm pretty easy going, and pretty calm... but lately there's this one guy who works virtually EVERY NIGHT I SUPERVISE. He has been given supervisor codes, and thinks he is above me half the time... getting me to do tiny things for him that he can easily do himself.

Anyway, my patience is wearing thin after last week, it seemed to get worse. CSM told me to tell him to "get his ass outta the service desk and back onto your register" but I cannot fathem the courage to do it.
Also, got an operator that I hardly ever work with anymore, she stands at the service desk, and will flately REFUSE to serve customers unless they are at the smokeshop or on express, and she will not do any jobs at all. I don't think she's ever working in frontend any more, but do any of you guys have to put up with these sorts of employees?

Can't wait til I get my three weeks off in April, woot woot :D

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
It sounds like your staff need a slap in the face.
If they are on the roster as an operator, they are nothing more than an operator. If you are rostered as a supervisor, you are their superior. You need to stop letting people walk all over you, as you're only digging your own grave and encouraging further disobedience.
You need to be very firm and direct, but not rude. If they do not comply with your instructions, say "Either do ____ or I'll get the duty manager down here".

Try and organise a meeting with the store manager and your CSM in the one room, explain all your issues. If they are not listening to their superiors, maybe they need to be formally counseled.

There is a hierarchy of management levels that exists, and it exists for a good reason. If you're rostered as supervision, you are above them in that hierarchy.
Also, why is that guy telling you to do those "minor" things when you are supervising? Better yet, why is he telling you to do anything at all when he himself has no authority as an operator?

Also, got an operator that I hardly ever work with anymore, she stands at the service desk, and will flately REFUSE to serve customers unless they are at the smokeshop or on express, and she will not do any jobs at all.
She needs to be terminated. It's her job to serve.

Like I said. Make a list of ALL your problems, organise a closed meeting with your CSM and SM and see what they both have to say about it.

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
It sounds like your staff need a slap in the face.
If they are on the roster as an operator, they are nothing more than an operator. If you are rostered as a supervisor, you are their superior. You need to stop letting people walk all over you, as you're only digging your own grave and encouraging further disobedience.
You need to be very firm and direct, but not rude. If they do not comply with your instructions, say "Either do ____ or I'll get the duty manager down here".
Me and a couple of others were having a big whinge about him yesterday, and the Duty Manager told me, "You need to man up and grow some goddamn balls!" hahaha. In future if he asks me to do anything, I'll just ignore him. He used to be a really good worker, like he would get off his register and all the cleaning and all that would be done, but ever since he has been given supervisor codes, he's gone to shit and tries to boss everyone else around. It makes it worse that he's on almost every single night I supervise.

I made my opinion quite clear to the CSM on Saturday... he said, "Yeah, I can clearly see you are pissed at him"

She needs to be terminated. It's her job to serve.
I have suggested this to CSM, he said she will not be getting anymore hours on frontend, thank god. She is the daughter of the manager of the produce department, and that wouldn't go down well with her... I bet if I upped her over everything she is doing wrong, then her mum would get pissed at me for trying to instill some order. That's the sort of person she is.

I think I need to stop basing my friends around the people I work with too... THAT makes it hard...

sb26

HSC
but do any of you guys have to put up with these sorts of employees?
Your workplace sounds absolutely nuts.

Frontend for our store runs pretty smoothly now that we finally have a 2IC after 5 weeks of the former one leaving. Poor CSM was practically working two jobs for the whole time, 6am to 7-8pm erryday. Yikes.

We have a lot of new-ish regular operators nowadays (between 1-6 months with the company) and there are often times in the afternoon where the only supervisor is off counting tills and there are very few people around with super codes / training. Means customers with refunds, SIM cards, and not to mention any of the operators who need assistance at their register are delayed. Some of us improv and do our best but it basically means we're using other people's numbers which we shouldn't be doing but practically have little other choice.

nanakid12

HSC
It is pretty nuts haha... see, at our store (we're a smaller store and aren't very busy) there's never a shortage of supervisors, and being in a rural area, the people don't quit and transfer as often as I'm guessing they would in city stores. That'd be why it's a bit crazy I'm guessing, cause there's not as many opportunities for progression. That's still no excuse for having no respect for me though.

My CSM and 2ic generally try to count the tills through the day, with that policy that came in at the end of June last year, meaning they only have to be spottied once through-out the day. Do yous still do it the old way?
I think it is the supervisor's responsibility to be assisting with refunds, SIM cards, etc so they should be the one to deal with all of that.

iMathew, now that you're a duty manager, does that mean you have to work in longlife/another department? Or do you still supervise at the frontend, and then the nightfill captain just takes over as the duty manager when you leave?

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
iMathew, now that you're a duty manager, does that mean you have to work in longlife/another department? Or do you still supervise at the frontend, and then the nightfill captain just takes over as the duty manager when you leave?
No, duty managers have their own jobs to do. We are a part of the "non trade" department. Quite often we may need to help out longlife finish their load for the day though.
We don't have a nightfill at the moment, it's dayfill. I close the store up at the end of the night.

nanakid12

HSC
Yeah I do tickets once a week now, I'm rostered in non trade. I know our Duty Manager routine involves filling the Proprietary Bakery, and receiving the load. CSM does it every so often...

What extra responsibilities do you have? Just making sure everyone is doing stuff, making sure it's all done safely, and then handling difficult customers, and ensuring locking up, securing money, all that sorta stuff?
I'm a long way off if I want to be a duty manager haha...

iMatthew

Woolworthian
HSC
Filling and facing ends, receiving loads, bakery/meat markdowns, fixing negatives, packing up produce, making sure chips/drinks are ok, looking over and ensuring all departments are doing what they should, etc.
There is heaps of other little things you do as you go.

As a duty manager, you're basically the store manager in their absence. You are the highest possible person. So you've sorta gotta have knowledge in every department.
The hierarchy technically goes:

Store Manager > Assistant Store Manager > Duty Managers > All other managers

nanakid12

HSC
So does anyone actually use their store iPad anymore? I haven't seen anyone using ours since we first got it... can it actually do anything useful?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)