The Woolworths Thread (2 Viewers)

undertides

HSC
Do we get 10% off this December as with last year? Does this apply to Big W (they keep refusing my card so I have to go through self-serve.)

Last edited:

BSammy

HSC
Do we get 10% off this December as with last year? Does this apply to Big W (they keep refusing my card so I have to go through self-serve.)
I haven't heard anything. I'm gonna have to say NO, unless they announce it. But don't hold your breath.

BSammy

HSC
According to the agreement, this is the amount of notice you have to give based on how long you've been working for Woolies:

Less than 1 year - 1 week
1 year or more but less than 3 year - 2 weeks
3 years or more but less than 5 years - 3 weeks
5 years and over - 4 weeks

A few people at my store are still employed as casuals, do a 3 hour shift once every three months, basically just still on the books just in case. You keep your discount card. Not every store manager likes doing this though, we had one who threatened to terminate employment of a few who were doing it.

Also speaking of the agreement, WHEN ARE WE GETTING A NEW ONE?! Bloody hell, it's a piss-poor effort that it's soon going to be 2 years since we were due for a new one. Definitely signing up to this new union, screw the SDA.

Also @quickthrowaway, sorry! I'm in VIC, used to be in QLD though.
There was apparently some sort of inquiry into penalty rates and stuff happening and I was told they're probably not going to commit to anything until after that's resolved. I'm keen on this new union, but I have to actually organise paying for it because it won't come automatically out of my pay.

nanakid12

HSC
Our store has just decided to cut all our casual frontend staff for Christmas week. What the actual hell is wrong with them

BSammy

HSC
budgets are fucked yo

i imagine even more than usual based on the amount of recostings we've been needed to do

(ironic as all the recostings means i've been getting more office hours to cover for the sso who is too busy recosting everything to do the work that is actually important, so we're spending more in an attempt to spend less.)
also with all the emphasis being put on Voice Of the Customer and AllEars and all that sort of thing, why are they doing to their best to lower customer satisfaction and staff morale?
Yes, Masters and Big W are fucked, money is being lost, don't destroy Supermarkets because of that.

(almost hope someone from head office does see this, because they need to.)

subtekjr

HSC
Budgets are down all around from what I've been hearing. I heard from other stores that the budgets in supermarkets are lower for December than they were for November.

I'd say it's not true, but if it is, holy hell head office have no clue.

At my store, full timers aren't allowed to work Sundays without getting time off for it, we can't get paid for sunday work atm. All because of tight budgeting...

nanakid12

HSC
I hope they do see it! speed6, are you here? Whoever is responsible for these decisions seems set on running the supermarket's division into the ground!

I don't know about you guys, but what an absolutely ridiculous mess our store has become. I haven't enjoyed working there for months, but I just know the job so well, and in the tough job market at the moment, I don't want to be poor lol.

That is hilarious though the recosting thing. Totally fits with the Woolworths logic though.

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
holy hell head office have no clue.
This.

At my store, full timers aren't allowed to work Sundays without getting time off for it, we can't get paid for sunday work atm. All because of tight budgeting...
Whaaaaaat? So they're changing contracted Sunday shifts to other days?

Theres a clause in the agreement where if they pull this shit with less than 7 days notice, you can negotiate for overtime pay. I'm waiting for the perfect opportunity when I'm desperately required and there is no other staff left to try calling in.

I'm curious however, if I decide to walk out on the job (say its busy as fuck, customers everywhere, no staff to serve them, I say screw you and leave never to return), do I lose all my annual leave? Or is there some miraculous clause that they are obligated to pay it out?

Last edited:

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Yes I am still here, but not forever.

As you know, Woolworths is struggling. This is evident with the closure of its failed hardware chain, Masters. Also, at one stage there were talks of ceasing Big W as well due to the decrease in sales and failed leadership of CEO Sally MacDonald, evident with her resignation.

Unfortunately, this has put even more pressure on Woolworths and has resulted in tight budgets affecting staff income as well as store operations.

With the Christmas/New Year period looming, this is going to truly put staff and stores under immense pressure to meet operational goals and thus the Woolworths Group is also under pressure to reduce the burden that its budget is having on its stores and staff members.

Corporate/Head Office is currently aware of these issues affecting the Woolworths Group across the nation and whilst there won't be immediate change, it is in the interest of the Woolworths Group to listen to its staff and consumers and take appropriate, corporate action in conjunction with the recommendations put forward, to continually achieve success in the Group.

undertides

HSC
My store just hired sixish new casuals for the front end. And a couple weeks ago maybe four others. Meanwhile, casuals who have been here a year plus are lucky to get a shift a week. I don't get it.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
My store just hired sixish new casuals for the front end. And a couple weeks ago maybe four others. Meanwhile, casuals who have been here a year plus are lucky to get a shift a week. I don't get it.
That's not good :(

BSammy

HSC
i can only assume it's because of availabilities.

if it isn't then there is a problem

subtekjr

HSC
This.

Whaaaaaat? So they're changing contracted Sunday shifts to other days?

Theres a clause in the agreement where if they pull this shit with less than 7 days notice, you can negotiate for overtime pay. I'm waiting for the perfect opportunity when I'm desperately required and there is no other staff left to try calling in.

I'm curious however, if I decide to walk out on the job (say its busy as fuck, customers everywhere, no staff to serve them, I say screw you and leave never to return), do I lose all my annual leave? Or is there some miraculous clause that they are obligated to pay it out?

Sorry, should have mentioned that my store (WA) doesn't trade most Sundays, only when Saturday is a public holiday (I think it's possible if Aus Day is on Sat), and 2 or 3 leading up to Christmas, that's all for the year. So if full-timers want to work Sundays this year, they have to get time off equivalent to the hours worked multiplied by overtime rates instead of the extra pay. Because of the budget issues.

As for the changing shifts thing, if they change a roster to avoid paying penalty rates without 7 days notice, they have to pay you the overtime rates for your new shift. Whatever your roster says you're working and are going to be paid for, they have to pay you at the end of the week at least. If they changed a Sunday shift to a Monday shift, they would need to make that Monday shift at Sunday pay.

If you leave the company, any remaining TOIL and Annual Leave is paid out. Most stores will send you on holiday for 2 weeks so they can kill 2 weeks of leave payout though.

undertides

HSC
Dumb question, but where do we order uniforms now? It's all changed since I ordered my first one back last October.

nanakid12

HSC
https://www.totalimagegrouponline.com/

Right there.

Read a news article today that said Woolies have spent $1 billion on cutting grocery prices. Damn.

How's everyone's current staffing situation? According to the roster, I'm supervising no operators whatsoever tonight for 3 hours after 6pm. But I think my manager will just roster some juniors (the very few that we have) on cause that definitely can't happen.

We're definitely getting busier than usual now, Christmas seems to be starting to hit a little later than usual this year, for us anyway. Still scared about Christmas week :S

nanakid12

HSC
What is this "Greeter Vest" for $44 on Total image group? Can I buy one and wear it for funsies? Or is it for those people who stand at the front entrance and welcome people into the store?

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Do your stores frequently run out of trolley's for customers?

Last edited:

nanakid12

HSC
Nope. Not when I'm supervising anyway. I collect them regularly. (We don't have trolley contractor)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Hmm.. Have you heard of any stories of a serial trolley hoarder pest?

Also, I think we are way overdue for another story? Any stories of catching shoplifters at your store, especially nowadays, since the holiday period is approaching and people may be desperate in not paying for what they take?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)