The Woolworths Thread (1 Viewer)

bernie14

HSC
Officially back working with Woolies after four months out!

Bit anxious though, my first shift is next Tuesday and I want to know who will be working. Is there a way to check the roster online? I can't remember how I used to do it. I've just signed up to Success Factors again, but I know there was another website to check rosters on.

T_Knight

HSC
WOW People Portal is what your looking for.

You'll need to remember your google+ store account to login.

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Thoughts on all stores and all employees returning to the green micro check shirt now that it's official? We got some pretty ticked off people over in my store

nanakid12

HSC
Whats this?

I was told that the white shirts are being discontinued or something, but thats all I've heard...

bernie14

HSC
Had my first shift back at Woolies in over four months a couple of days ago after resigning to take up another job (which subsequently didn't go to plan, resulting in going back).

Felt pretty nervous walking in, thinking everyone would be like "oh look who's come crawling back!" but everyone was really warm and welcoming and happy to see me again. As a past supervisor, I was wondering if I was going to have to start back at the bottom of the chain and work my way up, but i was given numbers straight away which instilled me with confidence.

Everything felt like I had never left, it's funny how you don't forget how to do certain things. Only thing that keeps stumping me is not being able to scan rewards cards once you hit the pay option window.

They even got me to train a couple of girls on their first day, talk about making me feel welcome again!

nanakid12

HSC
They're pretty good hey. I'm adjusting to my new store and so far it's going well. Getting to know people and whatnot.

And that reward card thing is so stupid. It only came in about a month ago with an upgrade. I look like an idiot to the customers cause I constantly have to scan it twice. Literally don't understand why they did that.

quick_throwaway

HSC
Hey all, I'm back :) So I've been in the job for, wow, just a few months shy of a year.

I was just thinking today.I think after all this time in the job, I know what exactly is my least favourite thing about the job. Those customers that bring their own bags. Those green ones and the cold blue ones, i feel my eyes just burning whenever I see them.. I call them scan-rate killer customers. Also, I've noticed, typically, those customers act much more entitled and bossy. Most of them at least. Like today, there was an elderly woman who was buying tins of cat food, and large water bottles, had two green bags, and she's like I dont want any plastic, dont make them too heavy....Ummm. Ok, I evenly divided the shopping appropriately between the two bags,and then she's like thats too heavy.. Like wtf. You just told me to not use any plastic bags...?? Make up your own effing mind or just effing pack it yourself. And DONT pull a face because you're annoyed I'm not as fast as you want me to be - you bring your own bag, tough luck, I'm not trained to pack those, I will be a bit slower. And finally, some of you, seriously - please learn to wash them. Some of them are so foul its just....URGH. Should levy a 5% surcharge for reusable bag use (like eftpos surcharge we see elsewhere) because I (and my co-workers) hate those bloody bags so much. And those really wonky ones that you can hardly tie around the bag stand.... yeah I won't get started on that.

Then heres another meme from today - I don't think she was deliberately trying to be annoying, but she's just a normal customer, not too much shopping, yeah all in plastic cool, so lets pay with cash.....she just bloody puts the money, some small coins and a $10 note on the belt. Which then was moving and then sucked up some of the money at the end of the belt partially before i could grab all of it, yeah, supervisor sure was pleased to see that. Aka, of course, its automatically my fault, but thats the one supervisor that just hates me. Like is it that hard to just hold it out so my hand can get it?

Of course, I'm not all negative, I do want to give a shout-out to all those customers that smile and actually respond to me when I ask how is their day. Even just asking what am I studying at uni, what I want to do later, and then we can just engage in conversation, that really makes my day at work. And my co-workers too, of course, the experience wouldnt be the same without them. I'm sure it differs per store, but I think, for those prospective people reading this, being part of the service department in Woolies is, in my experience, a great way to make new friends.

Finally, dont forget to check out Woolworths Memes on Facebook if you haven't, when you have some spare time - some absolutely hilarious stuff in there. :) That is all.

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Checkout sturggles hahah. When I was checkouts I always hated people bringing their own bags but after a few months I just didn't care about my scan rate (which my avg was about 21 items a minute) and then dropped to the 17 mark. People slapping their money down on the belt is pretty stupid too, jsut gotta race to block the sensor and switch the belt off before it falls off.

nanakid12

HSC
Thoughts on all stores and all employees returning to the green micro check shirt now that it's official? We got some pretty ticked off people over in my store
Dude please expand on this as I don't know much about it. Does it include store managers and checkout managers/2ic as well?

Lol at the ticked off people, find something better to whinge about FFS. Unless they are forcibly having to buy new uniforms now, then yeah that's pretty shit.

nanakid12

HSC
Ah right haha.

In other news, after only my third shift of doing it, I hate self serve. So boring. I think I'd rather serve people on a big register all day with their wonky green bags than stand there idle most of the time.

quick_throwaway

HSC
Ah right haha.

In other news, after only my third shift of doing it, I hate self serve. So boring. I think I'd rather serve people on a big register all day with their wonky green bags than stand there idle most of the time.
The best bit about self serve, compared to checkouts, is that you can actually move around and keep your legs busy. I, comparison, dont like standing around doing nothing, because that supervisor that hates me to death will see me and accuse me of doing nothing (I'm serious she's so bad, that one woman, how she came so high in the ranks I will never know but she's loathed by everyone else too) and honestly, I dont want an excuse for trouble.

Today was HILARIOUS, ok, it was her plus another younger, lax guy being the supervisors. My register was acting REALLY funny, it kept disabling itself at the end of each transaction and would require the supervisors to unlock it, leading to delays ; I still dont know what went wrong. So I had to keep calling her over and shed get so pissed (jesus fucking christ I didn't do anything!) at me infront of the customers (who would actually sympathise with me), but this happened another two times. She pressed a different set of buttons, and then she's like NOW it should work.

And then a few minutes later when I was about to finish serving the next customer, I see snake-face coming to my register through my side vision with a CLOSED sign (I'm thinking oh shit brace yourself), but she's like, can you take over from _____ on Express please? And I'm like okay :D . Then a newbie (complete with the white button up shirt) I've never seen before took over from me. I'm then on my express register which is looking towards her and of course, the problem with the register STILL wasn't fixed so poor her, didn't know to use the bell to ring over the supervisor, eventually she got it (after a long angry line formed) and ohhh my god, just seeing snake-face and how livid she was from my end, pressing buttons furiously on the screen and I was just grinning stupidly at the other end of the store. :D Memes.

nanakid12

HSC
That sounds like there was a saved transaction on there... if you try to sign off and there's still a saved transaction on that register, it'll ask for supervisor codes.

This supervisor sounds like a spightful human. Come work and my store haha I'm awesome to work under :)

FrontEndHero

HSC
N/A
Dude please expand on this as I don't know much about it. Does it include store managers and checkout managers/2ic as well?

Lol at the ticked off people, find something better to whinge about FFS. Unless they are forcibly having to buy new uniforms now, then yeah that's pretty shit.
I think cstm's and 2ic's can still wear their white shirt but don't quote me on that. there was a post on the Google+ page about the preferred dress saying that fresh department shirts wil be phased and the company will be transferring to a more 'simpler' range.

quick_throwaway

HSC
That sounds like there was a saved transaction on there... if you try to sign off and there's still a saved transaction on that register, it'll ask for supervisor codes.

This supervisor sounds like a spightful human. Come work and my store haha I'm awesome to work under :)

Nanakid, you sound awesome :) Hahah I am sure you would be awesome to work under and if I ever move to Melbourne, ill hit you up. :p :)

As a casual, currently, I get 8-10 hours a week, but I'm really happy with that because it means I can strike a balance between work, study, and social life. But some of my co-workers, who are friends too, we were all just talking on our break, they were convincing me if I can, I should go part time.

"aw come on _____, we all became part-timers ages ago. Don't you ever get tired of being a casual and how your income essentially relies on others not being able to be there?"

"Yeah but the pay is incredible. I keep getting rostered 9 hours per week and she says Im always among the first to be called if she needs cover. In addition to 6 hours work, I covered another THREE shifts last week"

"What I mean is, trust me. Once someone better, someone who also costs less to employ, comes along, your days are up. Many casuals here that never converted, that was their sad end. And if that happens to you, theres nothing you can do about it..."

"But she likes me :( "

"But you're also costing her 25% more to employ and you're due for a significant pay rise from $21/hour to $26/hour once you turn 20. "

"oh..."

The red bits really worry me come to think of it. Thoughts? Advice?

nanakid12

HSC
Get a contract if you can. Yes it's a bit less money, but the benefits your coworkers describe are right.

With a contract you have job security, annual and sick leave, second discount card, and can still be flexed up for extra hours if they need you. You'll also be cheaper to roster on than a casual, so in turn, more attractive for your manager (about $22 an hour when you turn 20?).

I think the minimum hours is 20 hours a fortnight for a contract, not sure if this has changed?

I do 34 hours between two jobs (including 20 hours a week at Woolworths) plus full time study. It is full on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)