Theatre Reviews for IP (1 Viewer)

Lucie16

HSC
I thought it might be an idea for anyone doing Theatre Reviews to write in here whats on and where and how much it costs and was it good bla bla bla bla. I personally only want to review professional theatre but whatever you thinks relevent just add.

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
I believe Mamma Mia just closed at Lyric Theatre :( Double :( :(!! I so wanted to see it.
The Producers is on now in Lyric Theatre I believe - gonna see it.
Producers goes to Sydney in May - see it then.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Don't review Musical theatre! Thats like IP suicide.

Currently, there isn't much on because most Theatre Companies are on a summer break. It would be worthwile to call theatre companies and ask for a season brochure, OR check out their websites... I'd watch one show from ALL these companies...

Company B Belvior Street - www.belvior.com.au

Sydney Theatre Company - www.sydneytheatre.com.au

Griffin - www.griffin.com.au

The Performance Space - google it :p

-----

For griffin and Performance Space, i'd recomend matinees, so you can train it in... probably same with Belvoir.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
Majority of companies reopen around the 5th-10th of Jan. I remember seeing 3 productions for my Theatre Crit IP all before school started on the 1st of Feb. It's a good idea to see a variety of productions and view them at the beginning of the year, coz you don't want to be still reviewing the week before IP's are due in Mid-August. My advice is to get them all viewed and reviewed by end of term one. So you can spend all of term 2 and the half of term 3 writing and rewriting and working out layouts. :)

Oh yeh and doing Musical Theatre IS IP Suicide :p

pungpui

HSC
i actually commited myself to seeing a play every month and spending that month composing and working on that particular play before seeing the next...so one in February, March, April, May, which leaves like 3 months to finish, polish, or even re-write! reviews

personally i find seeing something then reviewing it while its still fresh in my mind (and not to confuse it with everything else) better than all @ the one go then reviewing...it also keeps you focused (the deadline of one per month, rather than no motives after seeing them all, constantly saying 'ive got so much time left') and less financially committed @ the beginning of the year.

pungpui

HSC
and btw i do agree with everyone else...musical is definately suicide...you've studied DRAMA for the last couple of years, not musicals...and LOTS and LOTS of people are going to see these big productions...try look for a niche as well

Lucie16

HSC
thanks
I think im probably going to go and see three furies at the opera house and that looks really good. Its on before school goes back too so thats even better. I think doing a musical is ok so long as it isnt really large scale like the lion king. You would review it with all the same things you would for anything else.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Lucie16 said:
thanks
I think im probably going to go and see three furies at the opera house and that looks really good. Its on before school goes back too so thats even better. I think doing a musical is ok so long as it isnt really large scale like the lion king. You would review it with all the same things you would for anything else.
Yes, you do have a point, BUT, look at the texts set for HSC Drama. I can't think of one that is a musical. Remember that the HSC is a game, and you need to play by BOS rules. You don't want to shit them! It could be fine to do a musical, but you could get a marker who thinks its trash because a musical is about music and singing, not acting!

pungpui

HSC
Will_Sparky said:
Yes, you do have a point, BUT, look at the texts set for HSC Drama. I can't think of one that is a musical. Remember that the HSC is a game, and you need to play by BOS rules. You don't want to shit them! It could be fine to do a musical, but you could get a marker who thinks its trash because a musical is about music and singing, not acting!
lol reminds me of a DVD ive got of Les Miserables...ABSOLUTE CRAP...just like a concert, except they might leave the stage differently

and hint...just because the stage may be big and fancy...dont generalise that for the whole play...elements of productions are meant to aid a play...you primarily focus on its general appeal, not just a set...and another hint from my teacher (senior hsc marker who helped write the syllabus), dont use words like 'fabuloso' that are too superlative or made up...lol she says she sees them far too often every year.

jaihson

HSC
Will_Sparky said:
Don't review Musical theatre! Thats like IP suicide.

Currently, there isn't much on because most Theatre Companies are on a summer break. It would be worthwile to call theatre companies and ask for a season brochure, OR check out their websites... I'd watch one show from ALL these companies...

Company B Belvior Street - www.belvior.com.au

Sydney Theatre Company - www.sydneytheatre.com.au

Griffin - www.griffin.com.au

The Performance Space - google it :p

-----

For griffin and Performance Space, i'd recomend matinees, so you can train it in... probably same with Belvoir.
Why do u say that musical theatre is suicide?? I think its great to have 1 cause its a totally different theatre experience.

jaihson

HSC
Will_Sparky said:
I totally disagree with you on that buddy. In a musical the singing is driven by acting, otherwise it would just be a concert. There are musicals like Les Miserable for example, that just dont work as a straight play, and are so driven by the acting as well as the music. To say that a musical isnt about acting is pretty false.

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Okay, I see your point, musicals are like plays with music to drive the story forward, its a different type of performance. But then again, so is a dance... So can you review something by the Sydney Dance Company that also tells a story? Personal opinion, musicals would not be the best idea. When the BoS puts "20th Century Musicals" as a studies in drama and theatre topic, or lists "Phantom of The Opera" or "Evita" (sorry, was looking up Webber recently :p) as set texts, then my opinon might change. I just don't think that its as solid to use as a piece of Aborginal theatre, or a new spin on a Shakespeare. Thats all. Just my opinon...

Oh, and I didnt say the musical ISN'T about acting, but acting is a much smaller piece than the singing!

pungpui

HSC
look @ the demographs...have u been to star city?? most of the crap they show there is musicals (started with showboat, we will rock you, mamma mia, blah blah) and do u look @ the demograph there?? just the common people who want to be impressed by fast set changes and music...the demograph is very shallow, as is most of the musicals...

cross over to theatre (non-musical), whats the demograph there? lots of oldies yes i know, but theatre enthusiasts...what im saying is, to show your a serious reviewer, go see a serious play, not a shallow, fluffy musical!

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
pungpui said:
look @ the demographs...have u been to star city?? most of the crap they show there is musicals (started with showboat, we will rock you, mamma mia, blah blah) and do u look @ the demograph there?? just the common people who want to be impressed by fast set changes and music...the demograph is very shallow, as is most of the musicals...

cross over to theatre (non-musical), whats the demograph there? lots of oldies yes i know, but theatre enthusiasts...what im saying is, to show your a serious reviewer, go see a serious play, not a shallow, fluffy musical!
Thats what I wanted to say but couldn't put into words :p. I actually had a discussion with my drama teacher about this... She was saying that Company B's audience is different to people who spend $1000 once every two months to watch a musical, have dinner and stay overnight in the city. A 'theatre-goer' is someone who regularly attends $40 shows at STC, Belvoir and Griffin (and even Ensemble), and THOSE are the plays you should be reviewing!

jaihson

HSC
Your being so general. You cant base your assumptions on whether the production is shallow or not based on the demographs. I dont believe 'serious theatre' is restricted to the productions viewed by 'theatre-goers' or 'oldies'. Productions such as the lion king are effective in the way that it brings the film to life on stage. The set in that show is one of the more effective ones Ive seen in a while, the actors are very good, costumes and sound is terrific. The story may not be as thought provoking and confronting as some non-musical plays that you see but its a different theatre experience in itself. Theatre is also for enjoyment; and if people enjoy such a production then I think it highly valuable for review. I dont think students should restrict themselves to just non-musicals, when they can show a broader knowledge across different theatre experiences

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
I really don't think your getting my point :p... Musicals can be deemed 'serious theatre' but obvioiusly the "Board" doesn't think so. If they did, Musicals would be set for study, they are not! We're not here to question their rules, but rather to play by them.

And shouldn't a students knowledge of theatre first come from areas within areas that we are meant to study. I don't understand how you can critique a lavish touring musical can be critiqued when a student still has no understanding of how the space in Griffin's stables theatre creates meaning within a play. Griffin is where so much of Australia's contemporary 'fringe' theatre was born. Personally, I think thats a little more impressive and shows a broader knowledge of stage 6 drama.

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
Preferably to the attention of jaihson and Lucie16: (however all of u can read it ;) )
I cannot begin to agree with Sparky more on this topic guys.

Sparky made the considerably important point of "impressive and broader knowledge of Stage 6 Drama..."

Sophistication when approaching an IP (theory) will reap rewards. The markers want to see something bold, a statement by a student that has set themselves a challenge...and in all honesty I cannot say that musical theatre would be deemed as 'sophisticated theatre viewing'. Musicals are generally considered (and if you dare try and rebut this point I will shoot you down) as 'consumer theatre'. Most are primarily shown at large venues employing extensive casts, having 2 to 3 shows a day and playing for months. They are simple stories usually displayed on lavish and grand scales. They follow linear plots and an array of approximately 3 leads and 10 b lists. And you get my point.
Technically, and so totally obviously they ARE TOO SIMPLE TO REVIEW. A Year 10 English student with no knowledge of conventions, technical theatre or direction could write a good review on a musical with the aid of a program.

Markers are wanting to see you show off your knowledge or theatre and theatre making. To say a review simply comments on acting and a 'story' is ignorant and a simpleton's approach to a task that obviously has some depth to it. Try review experimental theatre, theatre by a small theatre company and then a major Sydney Theatre Co production. That is a demonstration of 'varying theatrical experiences'

The HSC is not about society, demographics, audiences...its about playing by the rules. The Board hasn't set any musicals (with the exception of the Brechtian unit...which is exempt from this discussion as we are discussion musicals of the main stream kind...i.e. Broadway, Touring Productions) for a reason.

If you play by the rules, you will go well...if you stretch them, you're taking a risk...but if you down right break them...because you think you're right...then you've got no one to blame but yourself.

And please 05ers, consider our advice. We are not hear to annoy you about your decision, we are here to guide as we've been through the HSC already.

pungpui

HSC
Thank you Skillo and Will....

look of u still think muscials are the way to go...then fine...ive done my part arguing and advising you, having done drama...if you wanna go ahead and do musicals, then go ahead and do musicals. Trust me, it wont have the slightest affect on me!

Lucie16

HSC
Ju said:
Luci you are officially a geek.

Call me!
Sure sure, but your one two ju. maybe i was trying to get your attention...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)