Thebes Canals on West Bank??? (1 Viewer)

NellyBelly89

HSC
I am doing a presentation on the Beautiful Feast of the valley and am trying to find a simple map of the canals that were used to transport the 'gods' across from Karnak Temple to the festival. I had one in an illustrated atlas but i cant photocopy the whole thing without losing parts.
If anyone can help PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post a picture for me.
Thankyou for any help, if not I hope all is well for you all. :)
~Nelly~

X

xeuyrawp

Here is one that has canals marked on it.

The Beautiful Feast of the Valley wasn't as big in the periods which I'm totally familiar with - but to my understanding, this is what happens.

1. People gather at Karnak,
2. the hem-netcher (high) priests, get the image of the god onto a bark - a small boat representing the trip of Ra through the sky,
3. the bark is carried around by the priests and there's some sort of celebration,
4. the bark is put onto a large (real) boat infront of Karnak, and is sailed up and down the river in some sort of celebration,
5. the boat was taken to the other side of the river, and the bark was taken off,
6. the bark was paraded around and put onto a smaller boat on the canal between what is now Amenhotep's mortuary temple and Dier el Bahri (ie, the northern-most east/west canal on the map),
7. the bark is sailed up towards the Valley of the Kings and dismounted, where it is paraded around and ends up at Hatshepsut's temple.

I thought that there was a canal going straight from Hatshepsut's temple to the Nile (ie, following the road that was built), although the canal on the map is only about 500 meters from the temple-Nile road.

NellyBelly89

HSC
thankyou thankyou thankyou. i would kiss your feet right now. i went to my local library to see if i could get a different book and couldnt get anything. i called my history teacher and he told me to draw it. so.............you have saved me (and the rest of my class) from my drawings.

X

xeuyrawp

NellyBelly89 said:
thankyou thankyou thankyou. i would kiss your feet right now. i went to my local library to see if i could get a different book and couldnt get anything. i called my history teacher and he told me to draw it. so.............you have saved me (and the rest of my class) from my drawings.
That's okay!

I know there was a canal going down the Nile between Amenhotep's Mortuary Temple and Dier el Bahri, but I'd never noticed it on a map. :)

By the way - that's from one of Breasted's gazillion volumes - <3s Breasted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)