Theres something wrong with me (1 Viewer)

Pisslips78

HSC
N/A
HSC fast approaching....I suppose I should be studying hard by now....but I cant. Theres something I cant explain stopping me from hitting the books as hard as I want to. This may sound strange....but whatever. I'll spend the entire day thinking "man, im gonna get home and study like a whore on fire", but it never happens. Somehow i spend the entire evening/afternoon doing something else, without studying a single bit. Its not like I havent studied at all...but recently im finding it extremely hard to become motivated, when I have every reason to be motivated. Thats it. I cant explain it any better than that. Its like theres a little voice in my head saying "you dont need to study...theres so many other enjoyable things you could be doing". I tell him to shutup, I try my best to ignore him, but he always wins. Anyone else feel this way? Can anyone suggest a soloution? Time is running out.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
yeah i feel like that.. i've been pretty good most of the year - minus a few months at the start. but atm i can't really do anything, and havnt for a while now.

so yeh i have no suggestions, only commiserations :|

Pisslips78

HSC
N/A
im sure there are many people out there going throught the same thing...that made me feel slightly better...thankyou

HSC
N/A
Motivation is a pain in the butt to muster up, regardless of what you're doing.

My best advice is to find out what it is that slows you down, and can really kick-start the motivation. For me, having one of my parents nag me to study was an instant motivation-deflator. On the other hand, studying with a friend via msn or phone turned out to be really good for me :) Bribes and/or blackmail can also work well.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
if i feel like that then just do light study, simple easy stuff that requires very little thought such as just writing out the textbook into your own words.
do the "memorise everything from your textbook" subjects to get you started.

i also uninstalled all my games and other distractions and that has helped greatly.

try just plan ahead, tell yourself "ok im going to go full out for the next 3 minutes, im gonna get my books/pens/calculator/everything out on the desk, open them up and finish copying this paragraph/ finish this question / flick to this one section which i never understood."

really small, achievable goals instead of "im going to study something from some subject at some time" to get you started.

if youre desperate try holding your breath and telling yourself youre not going to breath in again till youre infront of your books with a pen in your hand.

Pisslips78

HSC
N/A
Holy Jesus! That holding your breath thing sounds like absoloute genious! Im not being sarcastic at all. What better motivation than the promise of death via asphyxiation(sp?)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im going to try it at once.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i have your exact same problem :( it's the reason i'm posting this right now instead of reviewing bio notes like it says to on my study timetable.

one of my friends threatened me with being raped by this awful creepy guy we know, to motivate me - it hasnt worked coz i know it'll never actually happen (well with this guy u never know, actually). plausible threats (like "you'll get a shithouse UAI and have to go be a checkout chick at bilo") seem to work better for me. especially after a trip to my local bilo! (no offence to anyone who may work there) lol.

Dejected

Crash into Me
HSC
Pisslips78 said:
HSC fast approaching....I suppose I should be studying hard by now....but I cant. Theres something I cant explain stopping me from hitting the books as hard as I want to. This may sound strange....but whatever. I'll spend the entire day thinking "man, im gonna get home and study like a whore on fire", but it never happens. Somehow i spend the entire evening/afternoon doing something else, without studying a single bit. Its not like I havent studied at all...but recently im finding it extremely hard to become motivated, when I have every reason to be motivated. Thats it. I cant explain it any better than that. Its like theres a little voice in my head saying "you dont need to study...theres so many other enjoyable things you could be doing". I tell him to shutup, I try my best to ignore him, but he always wins. Anyone else feel this way? Can anyone suggest a soloution? Time is running out.
yes this is called. Typicallis hsccbfness

its all about self determintation. reward yourself. gay it sounds i know. but i used to be like, ok tim, lets get this math done and u can call ur gf/play cs/watch movie/burn the paper

that worked for me, but i got the thepoint where i was failing everything and gave up all together. not wise unless u have a backup plan, whihch i didnt. but i wont say it wasnt fun.

bassqueen16

HSC
zomg i haven't breathed for lyk a minute, still i wont die just yet.... but yeah i think alot of the 06ers are going through the same shame spiral pisslips (lawl at ur name :))... but yeah im exactly the same, i know i have work to do, i know ill be in so much shit and hate myself later for being so lazy and procrastinating yet still can't muster up the motivation to study, even my bf denying me stuff isnt working, cos i make him give in :eek: so i think if we start light, like deathb4life said, we might be able to motivate ourselves enough (by completing a small task and demonstrating we're not complete lost cases)--- this thread has vaguely motivated me, to know others are going through the same crackwhore shame spiral encourages me to change my procrastinating ways :)

SomaFairy

HSC
N/A
I have the same problem!!! I've spent the whole year studying and its just like I have run out of motivation to study anymore :(.
I think a big problem is because I work with the computer in front of me and so theres all sorts of distractions like Bos, msn, music...etc.. But then i tried to study in the library and fell asleep...

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
SomaFairy said:
I have the same problem!!! I've spent the whole year studying and its just like I have run out of motivation to study anymore :(.
I think a big problem is because I work with the computer in front of me and so theres all sorts of distractions like Bos, msn, music...etc.. But then i tried to study in the library and fell asleep...
Ditto. Haven't really been fudged to study anything besides simple stuff lately, as i usually feel dead once i finish school.

HSC
Pisslips78 said:
HSC fast approaching....I suppose I should be studying hard by now....but I cant. Theres something I cant explain stopping me from hitting the books as hard as I want to. This may sound strange....but whatever. I'll spend the entire day thinking "man, im gonna get home and study like a whore on fire", but it never happens. Somehow i spend the entire evening/afternoon doing something else, without studying a single bit. Its not like I havent studied at all...but recently im finding it extremely hard to become motivated, when I have every reason to be motivated. Thats it. I cant explain it any better than that. Its like theres a little voice in my head saying "you dont need to study...theres so many other enjoyable things you could be doing". I tell him to shutup, I try my best to ignore him, but he always wins. Anyone else feel this way?
You're not alone. I feel exactly the same. I think I'm just drifting along now...slowly burning out. It's worrying me because the HSC is nearing and I still feel no motivation. I really just can't be bothered anymore and for some reason I'm always tired and need to sleep.

I just keep thinking "I really don't give a sh*t anymore even though I know I should." My marks aren't top, so no point looking for encouragement there. Like you said I can't really explain it, except to agree that I feel that there is something wrong with me.

It could be that I'm sick of school and ready to move on from it because I don't feel like I'm great at anything here and it makes me sad

bassqueen16

HSC
is it just me or is everyone really REALLY (like unusually) tired once school is out??? I havent been studying much at all, yet i find im ten times more tired than I usually am? is it mental stress catching up or something else???

gracie007

HSC
ha, thats exactly like me. i never study. ppl around me always do but i dont, i dunno why exactly its happening but i think the procrastination has gotten the better of me...some ppl rkn i have add or something but god knows, its too late now. i do study for exams and stuff, and will for the hsc, but i will perform nowhere near as good as i could.

HSC
I thought I was alone on the tired thing. Good to know I'm not though! I think after the trials everyone just burnt out. Except I think I should have recovered by now, thus the 'something is wrong with me'. I actually feel completely exhausted after school everyday...sometimes even during school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)