Thesis for imag. journey (1 Viewer)

tomcats 72

HSC
Hey guys,
I'm doing Coleridge for my imaginative journey text. I've specifically focused on This Lime-Tree Bower my Prison and Frost at Midnight. I understand the poems but the only thing that I can really say that they say about the journey is that it is valuable. For example the imaginative journey in LTBMP is valuable because the persona learns that "Nature ne'er deserts the wise and pure". How could I make my interpretation of these texts more sophisticated.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
well, you have to look for techniques within the poem and what effect these techniques create.

also, there is a reason why these poems have been set for imaginative journeys, because there is a journey undertaken. try to look for what the journey involves and the different realisations/obtacles/issues that the author/narrator undertakes during the course of the journey.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
*Turns the 'pseudo-intellectual' setting to MAX*

Coleridge's poetry provides metaphysical enlightenment through imaginative
exploration, achieved through his use of conversational poetry, enhanced by both subtle and vivid metaphoric devices....

Whatever that means. :D

tomcats 72

HSC
Ok thats really good, but I don't even know what it means lol. What if I was to say the LTBMP takes the persona beyond the normal through the imaginative journey to contemplate their place in the universe? With Frost at midnight it is the imaginative journey which provides solace for the persona and hope for the future. I'm not sure which stimulus booklet text i'm going to use. Any suggestions?

hipPo3

HSC
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go" - R.L Stevenson scottish novelist ..
My thesis would be about the journey in-between being more important then the realisation at the end and the arrogance at the start.

I'm also doing Coleridge, but Rime of the Ancient Mariner And Kubla Kahn .. maybe i might put in Frost at Midnight or Lime tree Bower

tomcats 72

HSC
For LTBMP the realisation does come before the journey ends, and the same thing occurs in FAM, but with our thesis, or whatever you want to call it, doesn't it have to be more sophisticated than journeys are learning experiences or lead to some form of realisation?

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
it depends on your thesis which BOS booklet text would work best. In my opinion, the ivory trail can work with most theories, and as it is visual, this makes a nice change of textual medium.

i am doing the ivory trail with Kubla Khan and TLTBMP and my thesis is basically that the texts contextual medium binds it to a certain milieu, and thus the physical realm is more important than the imaginative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)