Thesis students, how busy are you? (1 Viewer)

franklhy

HSC
Hi. I'm going to start my thesis next sem already. I'm just wondering how busy can you thesis students get? Its not like a module where you have lectures, tutorials, and labs right. I know everyone has different projects, but roughly how much time on average a day or a week do you spend on doing your thesis? Is it as much time as the usual modules? Will thesis part B be much more time consuming? Thanks in advance :)

I'm doing bachelor in telecoms engineering btw.

shannonm

HSC
N/A
It's as hard as you make it..
Ask your supervisor what kind of time commitment they should expect from you for your particular topic.

I think most supervisors would be looking at minimum 6 hours - 1day solid hands-on work per week for your thesis project.
Possibly less at the start when you're doing your literature review/training/inductions, etc. and more towards the end when you are typing up the thesis/preparing presentations/poster, etc.

gwencris02

HSC
N/A
Personally, as an IT graduating student on Friday, we made a thesis and defended it . I encountered many problems in my thesis document. It was a very terrible research paper that I made. I was too busy thinking what should I do next.

Last edited:

Tim035

HSC
I'm doing on average an 8 hour day, 5 days a week, however 10+ hour days and having to come in on Saturday as well are not that uncommon. This is in the biological sciences though, where many experiments you can't just stop and start them when it suits you as your proteins will degrade, drugs will oxidize etc etc..

ianc

physics is phun!
HSC
it's all about topic choice.

i do electrical engineering, and am doing my fourth year thesis this year. for most of the semester i probably spent an average of 1 hour per week on it, and then obviously quite a lot just before we had to submit a progress report and give a presentation.

there's no point stressing heaps -- an undergraduate thesis is not going to change the world. first find a thesis supervisor that you like, then choose one of their topics that you are interested in, and try to make it as easy as possible for yourself.

heaps of my classmates are completely stressing out because they've chosen really hard topics, but at the end of the day it's simply not worth it.

KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)