Think bout it (1 Viewer)

suchet_i

derka derka
HSC
if u hav a tv connected 2 ur sattelite travielin away from earth near the speed of light (the radio waves will reach tv at normal time due to time n destance chage thingy), ne ways say the tv was live.. would u be seeing the stuff happening on earth at fast forward? that would be cool 2 look at. also 1 more thing of how some 1 can travel to the past. well u go 2 jupiter by ur self ( has greater mass than eath so u wont be pulled away 'i think') and then u attach giagantic rockets to the earth and you accelerate it away near the speed of light away from the solar system (dw bout how u'll get the energy for that) ne ways then lyk 10 earth years l8r the earth some how manages 2 come back exactly into its orbit in the solar system then the guy on jupiter comes back. oh btw during this time the guy in jupiter had aged lyk 50 yrs and he also had a virtual tv thingy so he knew every thing happening on earth .. blah.. so he come back n technically every 1 on earth is young and hez old.. so in a way he travelled back in time!
one last thing i rkn it would be possible to travel very near light speeds .9999999999999c easily if we can find an easy way to completely change matter into energy e=mc2 which would giv u loads of energy .. can this be possible!
oh also dont bother replying if u dont get wut i saying .. i can go a bit into my dream physics land sometimes ...
adios

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
No. Just... no. It won't be possible because of the following:

u attach giagantic rockets to the earth and you accelerate it away near the speed of light away from the solar system
then lyk 10 earth years l8r the earth some how manages 2 come back exactly into its orbit in the solar system then the guy on jupiter comes back
one last thing i rkn it would be possible to travel very near light speeds .9999999999999c easily if we can find an easy way to completely change matter into energy e=mc2 which would giv u loads of energy .. can this be possible!
Unfortunately for us, we have to worry about these little considerations because all the lightspeed stuff is useless if we can't get the energy in the first place.

I_F

deadnature

HSC
for your first Q - i cant really answer that because i have no idea wat your on about - 'time and distance change thingy'? i know wat you mean jus dont get the question

second Q - once agian a bit blury on your description 'jupiter pulling ypu away BECAUSE of gravity - mmm. I think what your saying is basically the same principal of relativity - remember light and EM waves are one in the same just different freq.

third Q - Matter into energy, well small amounts are proving to be much more that we can handel, but to answer your question - well maybe but then agian maybe not. I know i'm not a physicist - but think of what is actually happening (in either fusion or fission reactions) the small amount of matter lost in the transformation between two elements or more elements is turning into pure energy in the form of heat and other radiation. what i'm trying to say here is that for your scenario there must be ...... i am soooo lost.

If you don't have a degree in quantum physics there is no way in hell us mere mortals are going to understand. result? argh!!! ARGHH! ........:bomb:

We all like to feel smart by thinking about ..... stuff

deadnature

HSC
One word ppl:

Blackhole.

Like 'god' whatever you dont understand just use the unimaginable as a failsafe in our case 'blackholes' - although blackholes have been proved to exist.
Sorry if i'm offending any religious types, ill stop now before i tread on any toes.

It's part of being a human we don't like to not understand things so we create notions so far out that let us have a good nights sleep. That's my two cents.:sleep:

suchet_i

derka derka
HSC
i might just add 1 more thing 2 think bout it..
i havent read ne books on all the shit bout the universe
but i heard ppl say its endless
endless.. huh. wot would that mean .. lyk really.. isnt that a bit wierd to ne 1 ? my imagination doesnt even stretch out that much that it can picture wut endless might seen like ...
dunt u guys wonder lyk where u would be if u travell 100k away from earth or 1million km or 1 million light years.. and if it is so wide, therez gotta be some possibility thru which organisms evolved in other planets via simple molecules joining together.

one more thing, i dun believe in god or miracles, but then again .. big bang .. wut started it .. wut was bfore that, wen did every thing start

also we r all a very smallllllllllllll part of this "endless" universe, we'll each liv for like 90 yrs and then die .. wut i m trying 2 say .. even if we reach andromeda, wuts the total purpose, some 1 every 1 will die, blah ..
this last part i dun really no how 2 put my thoughts into words so dun wory bout it

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
suchet_i said:
i might just add 1 more thing 2 think bout it..
i havent read ne books on all the shit bout the universe
but i heard ppl say its endless
endless.. huh. wot would that mean .. lyk really.. isnt that a bit wierd to ne 1 ? my imagination doesnt even stretch out that much that it can picture wut endless might seen like ...
dunt u guys wonder lyk where u would be if u travell 100k away from earth or 1million km or 1 million light years.. and if it is so wide, therez gotta be some possibility thru which organisms evolved in other planets via simple molecules joining together.

one more thing, i dun believe in god or miracles, but then again .. big bang .. wut started it .. wut was bfore that, wen did every thing start

also we r all a very smallllllllllllll part of this "endless" universe, we'll each liv for like 90 yrs and then die .. wut i m trying 2 say .. even if we reach andromeda, wuts the total purpose, some 1 every 1 will die, blah ..
this last part i dun really no how 2 put my thoughts into words so dun wory bout it
The universe most likely isn't endless. It would end before you got to see all of it however. Also please try at typing. You don't need to balance the missing two letters from are with an extra ten (10) 'l''s on small.

deadnature

HSC
The questions will come and go, they always do for any physics student - try not to worry too much about 'why' or 'how' for now leave that for university. For the moment focus on what's in the syllabus

deadnature

HSC
The universe is expanding - Edwin Hubble proved that but what lies at the end can only be presumed in other words guessed, at this moment in time.

And what physicists guess is that there is nothingness. A popular book uses an anology -

An elderly lady attended a public lecture given by an astrophysicist on how the Earth goes around the Sun and how the Sun circles about with countless other stars in our galaxy the Milky Way. During the question and answer session, the woman stood up and told the distinguished scientist that his lecture was nonsense, that the Earth is a flat disk supported on the back of an enormous tortoise. The scientist tried to outwit the lady by asking, "Well, my dear, what supports the tortoise?" To which she replied, "You're a very clever young man, but not clever enough. It's turtles all the way down!"

When ever you ask questions in physics you inevitably are locked into a chain reaction of non-stop questions that always have harder questions to answer each time i.e. what makes up matter - atoms, what makes up atoms? protons neutrons and electrons what makes up them? quarks gluons and what about after that - strings?

If you are really interested in physics and you are intending to go to uni take a major in science or just pure theoritical physics.

recc. reading: A breif history of time, Hawking
E=mc2 a life, Bodanis

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html give that a whirl

Last edited:

Ludlum

HSC
the thing about wats at the end of the universe is that there is absolutely no way to prove anything. true its been shown that the universe is expanding, but, i think, due to the speed of light being a constant and not being able to exceed the constant speed its impossible to even reach the ends of the universe, if ther are indeed ends...

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
I think that the universe is like a very big ball (and it is expanding, like you blow a balloon), so whenever you go, you will eventually come back to your starting point.

But that's just what I think as I don't know about the extra dimension that string theory proposed.:confused:

And whenever you look into the sky, you actually look into the past.

suchet_i

derka derka
HSC
XcarvengerX said:
I think that the universe is like a very big ball (and it is expanding, like you blow a balloon), so whenever you go, you will eventually come back to your starting point.

But that's just what I think as I don't know about the extra dimension that string theory proposed.:confused:

And whenever you look into the sky, you actually look into the past.
i dont understand your thoery about looking in the sky and seeing the past, but if you are saying that the universe is a ball.. wuts there outside it? and if you say blank space i cant picture endless blank space in my head

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
i dont understand your thoery about looking in the sky and seeing the past
Well, light takes time to travel, so if you looked at the star that is 1000 light years far away from the Earth, then you actually looked at the light emitted from that star 1000 years ago.
but if you are saying that the universe is a ball.. wuts there outside it? and if you say blank space i cant picture endless blank space in my head
OK, I am not sure about that one, but what if the ball has infinite radius?

Last edited:

deadnature

HSC
Somethings just can't be imagined by our brains like extra dimensions - we can only suppose and propose

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
suchet_i said:
if you are saying that the universe is a ball.. wuts there outside it? and if you say blank space i cant picture endless blank space in my head
There's a theory that our universe is just a thin membrane of 3 dimensions floating between other universes with many more dimiensions :p Someone also claimed that 3 dimensions is the best for survivial of our universe - those with more dimensions just can't help but keep clashing with each other (for example, two strings which can be seen as having just one dimension are much less likely to clash than two pieces of paper, which can be seen as having two dimensions), while 1- and 2-dimensional universes have too few dimensions for life to form :p OK I'm considering myself lucky then :p

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
You are on the right track with the balloon analogy, but you are mistaking how it should be interpreted. (There really is no need to try imagine a balloon with an infinite radius).

Imagine the balloon as TWO-DIMENSIONAL universe. That is, all that exists is the SURFACE of the balloon.

Imagine you are one point on the surface of the balloon.
As the balloon inflates, the 'universe' (the 2D-surface) increases in size and everything moves away from you.

The balloon analogy is useful for a couple of reasons:
1. You realise that the universe has no "end". You keep going round and round the surface of the balloon but there's no edge to be found.
2. In the same way, you can see that the universe has no "centre". It is true that the universe is expanding, but there is no central focus of expansion. The focus is in the centre of the balloon, and by definition, this lies outside our universe.

You just imagined a two-dimensional universe.
Our universe has four dimensions, so it's a little bit trickier to imagine. Try not to get bogged down in questions like "what shape is the universe", or "where is the edge of the universe".
Use the analogy - we know the universe is expanding...

-------

Off-topic.
Good luck on exams etc. Aerospace engineering was my second preference. =)
Also, I know this has been said before, but your first post would have been so much easier to understand if it has been typed in such a way so that it didn't just look like a jumble of letters...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)