Think bout it (1 Viewer)

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
It's not space.
Because the universe includes all space (and time). If it were black 'space', then you'd still call it part of the universe. There is nothing.
Idono... maybe we're expanding into the fifth dimension... *shrugs. But that's just speculation on my part.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
I heard there are eleven dimensions according to one of the many proposed string theories. Or is it M-theory?

Ludlum

HSC
the whole thing bout a ball wif infinite radius doesnt work, if you hav an infinite radius it cant be called a ball because it cannot be defined....

i lyk the balloon theory it makes things clearer (as clear as it can b anyway)

alternate universes and multiple dimensions is the biggest spinout ever... i dont even bother to try and comprehend that stuff nemore, to far over the boundry between physics and philosophy

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
The way we would measure the size of the universe is by distance, the distance between the two furthest points observable.

The problem is that it's possible to imagine a hypothetical "point" in the universe that goes beyond it.

So here's my first conclusion: There's an infinite amount of space out there, but a finite amount of material to occupy it.

...which gives rise to problem #2... i can't imagine an infinite amount of space. Maybe +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ was on the right track with HIS version of the balloon analogy: we're walking on a 4D "surface" of an impossible sphere. I dunno. Maybe i should take up philosopy...

Sam.

bored.
HSC
Okay, I'm not a straight A physics student, but hey I'll have a stab in the dark. Technically, a universe can't really expand as such, if it is infinite. Realistically speaking, we can't have infinty + 1, as infinity encompasses all values afterward. So, in my view, according to Hubble's view (and proof, though we do know that scientists more often than not get it wrong), I would personally see the universe as having a finite space.

What I seem to be getting confused between is whether some of you guys are talking about the matter and space within our universe or the boundary of our universe, and that the air inside it would be the matter of our universe. Using the analogy of the balloon, I began by thinking that the balloon "skin" if you can call it that, would be the boundary of our universe. So, if you stick with that anology, our expanding universe would make sense. The balloon skin would be the expanding edge of our universe. That still leaves the question however, of what is outside the balloon. No one knows. There's no way we can know at the moment, other than speculation. These ideas of "nothing, just nothing in which space is expanded into" just don't seem to make logical sense to me. And I know that it's probably something that is just beyond the scope of my physical reasoning, but generally, what I've found, is that all physical principles tend to be based on logic. An area that technically just doesn't exist, seems to me exactly that, it doesn't exist.

Anyway, that's my little physics rant. Please feel free to pick it apart, because I know that almost all of it will be.

Last edited:

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
P_Dilemma said:
...which gives rise to problem #2... i can't imagine an infinite amount of space. Maybe +:: $i[Q]u3 ::+ was on the right track with HIS version of the balloon analogy: we're walking on a 4D "surface" of an impossible sphere. I dunno. Maybe i should take up philosopy...
I would just like to point out that I am very much a SHE.

Sam. said:
What I seem to be getting confused between is whether some of you guys are talking about the matter and space within our universe or the boundary of our universe, and that the air inside it would be the matter of our universe. Using the analogy of the balloon, I began by thinking that the balloon "skin" if you can call it that, would be the boundary of our universe. So, if you stick with that anology, our expanding universe would make sense. The balloon skin would be the expanding edge of our universe. That still leaves the question however, of what is outside the balloon. No one knows. There's no way we can know at the moment, other than speculation. These ideas of "nothing, just nothing in which space is expanded into" just don't seem to make logical sense to me. And I know that it's probably something that is just beyond the scope of my physical reasoning, but generally, what I've found, is that all physical principles tend to be based on logic. An area that technically just doesn't exist, seems to me exactly that, it doesn't exist.
Yes.

Sam. said:
Unless, seeing as though our universe is comprised of matter, that this area is made of anti-matter. But I hardly know what anti-matter is, so I'll just stop right there. Anyway, that's my little physics rant. Please feel free to pick it apart, because I know that almost all of it will be.
Interesting point, but no. Antimatter is theorised to exist within our universe. It needed to have existed for the parameters for the Big Bang to make any sort of sense. But let's not go into that.

Sam.

bored.
HSC
I know it's theorised to exist, and I've read about the Big Bang theory's application, but it was just an observation about complementation - positives/negatives. If our universe is primarily comprised of matter, with unknown levels of anti-matter, perhaps outside our universe is the opposite, where anti matter is the primary and matter is the unknown secondary. Just one of those stupid physics wonderings that passes through my head from time to time.

suchet_i

derka derka
HSC
although i dont believe in god and i need science to prove something for me ... the biginning of the universe got me thinking. before the big bang, the very very initial elements were probably hydrogen, helium etc.. but where did these things come from?
also if the universe is infinite, we are less than 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of it. so is there a purpose of humanity in the universe or are we just a random result of evolution who will just perish as time goes on? i believe that unless a humungous meteorite hits us tomoro morning, humans would live on for ever because technology is increasing and increasing. who knows what we will be up to in 5000 years whereas we still got 5 billion years till this solar system dies out.
personally i think we are just a random result of evolution.

Rax

Custom Me up Scotty
HSC
Here is something People

Ever read into something called dark energy
Its meant to be a form of matter (this is trying to explain why the Universe is expanding at an increasing rate) that
GET THIS
Has a Repulsive form of gravity field
So rather than gravity attracting two objects
Its repelling
Now thats messed
Oh and if you like messed up stuff look up Bosenova in Wikipedia
Its a mini supernova in a Bose Einstein Condensate
GG ALL

rama_v

HSC
suchet_i said:
i dont understand your thoery about looking in the sky and seeing the past, but if you are saying that the universe is a ball.. wuts there outside it? and if you say blank space i cant picture endless blank space in my head
I think you must remember that when they mean the universe is expanding, that means that space is expanding. An important point to remember is that the "Big bang" was not an explosion in space, but an explosion of space.

bboyelement

HSC
about the balloon thingy ... well if you have a shape point then you can pop it rite? and well what happens next we all know ... another big bang ... hehehhe

21st.100

HSC
Re: Think bout it (When u r not high)

all i can say u have a very unusual imagination "what you been smoking", mutters 21st.100 lol.. Keep it up. stupid ideas lead so insane ideas that might just be possible. Possible when u are hallucinating. 21st100

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Re: Think bout it (When u r not high)

Lolz u replied to a post from over 6 months ago!

Well if its not in the physics syllabus I guess we don't need to know. :D

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)