This is how I think ATAR should be calculated. (1 Viewer)

llllllllllll

HSC
All students do either scientific subjects (maths, sciences and English), social stuff (English, Economics, History, Geography, Legal, etc...) or (English, Music, Art, Sport, Applied stuff...) and the only mark that counts towards your ATAR is what ever you get in the actual HSC, I think this would be more fair :) wouldn't it? because school ranking/others ranking can sometimes impact the ranking of an individual. The first set of subject is for people who wanna do science/eng at uni, the other set of subjects is for people who want to do humanity stuff and the 3rd set is for those who want to do music, art, sport etc...

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
1 test, what if people go poorly? The way the assessments are set out in my opinion is for the best. As students can work at their own pace toward the HSC where there are plenty of chances.

Thief

!!
HSC
All students do either scientific subjects (maths, sciences and English), social stuff (English, Economics, History, Geography, Legal, etc...) or (English, Music, Art, Sport, Applied stuff...) and the only mark that counts towards your ATAR is what ever you get in the actual HSC, I think this would be more fair :) wouldn't it? because school ranking/others ranking can sometimes impact the ranking of an individual. The first set of subject is for people who wanna do science/eng at uni, the other set of subjects is for people who want to do humanity stuff and the 3rd set is for those who want to do music, art, sport etc...

Nope. What happens if you stress out and bomb the exams on the day? Does this mean that all the effort you may have put in prior to the HSC will go to waste?
Regarding the grouping of subjects, what if a student doesn't want to stick to a certain set of subjects but would rather do 1-2 from each? Or what if they haven't made up their mind what they want to do at uni?

llllllllllll

HSC
Yeah, true, but I still don't like the idea that the person who gets rank 1 has more advantage than others, in chemistry, I'm 5 percent away from rank 1, I'm so pumped for the trials, I'll demolish these noobs, hopefully.
Maybe my system is not the best but the current system isn't perfect either. IMO

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Yeah, true, but I still don't like the idea that the person who gets rank 1 has more advantage than others, in chemistry, I'm 5 percent away from rank 1, I'm so pumped for the trials, I'll demolish these noobs, hopefully.
Maybe my system is not the best but the current system isn't perfect either. IMO
I don't think any system developed will be entirely fair. But BOS are doing their best to make the system as fair as possible.

Alkanes

HSC
I disagree.

What about an individual who studies hard all year round getting the top marks at school but bombs the hsc, and you have another person doing jack shit and a miracle happens that they beat the people who studied hard. Is this fair?

Your HSC mark is a combination of hardwork and dedication all year round, not just a couple days of cramming before an exam. I think the way BOS designed the HSC is somewhat very fair to an extent.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There's two major problems with this:

1. You've lumped people into categorises that don't fit the needs of all students. Not all jobs fall into those groups, there's plenty of overlap. Music and Mathematics, Sport and Biology, Drama and Business. All pretty standard combinations in the real world.

2. The actual HSC is a poor measurement of overall knowledge. What you are tested on is purely recall on the day. Long term development, longer deadlines for better tests of process ability, and non-test based performance are all current measures that you'd effectively be removing

Thief

!!
HSC
Well obviously they ranked first because they did better than you in the other assessments, which is fair and they deserve the advantage.

llllllllllll

HSC
I disagree.

What about an individual who studies hard all year round getting the top marks at school but bombs the hsc, and you have another person doing jack shit and a miracle happens that they beat the people who studied hard. Is this fair?

Your HSC mark is a combination of hardwork and dedication all year round, not just a couple days of cramming before an exam. I think the way BOS designed the HSC is somewhat very fair to an extent.
Yeah, maybe, but person who comes first should be treated the same way as someone who came second. I'm second in chemistry because of the stupid practical test, practical exams are not a measure of how smart/how hard some1 works because anyone can do well in pracs. I got 21/25 while class avarage was 22/25 and the highest was 24/25, due to a silly mistake that I made. Now, I have to get like 100% in trials to get rank 1 because I'm sure the guy ranked first will get a 90% I'm really pumped for those trials, I've done 30% on the ATAR so far, and I'm on about 25/30 average for all subjects, trials and HSC are 70% so I'm planning on getting at least 67/70 for all subject but I'm worried that not getting rank 1 will affect my final ATAR :(

enoilgam

HSC
The current system in place at the moment isnt perfect, but I think it doesnt do that bad a job.

llllllllllll

HSC
Well obviously they ranked first because they did better than you in the other assessments, which is fair and they deserve the advantage.
I'll beat him up in the trials. No more advantage for him.

Thief

!!
HSC
Yeah, maybe, but person who comes first should be treated the same way as someone who came second. I'm second in chemistry because of the stupid practical test, practical exams are not a measure of how smart/how hard some1 works because anyone can do well in pracs. I got 21/25 while class avarage was 22/25 and the highest was 24/25, due to a silly mistake that I made. Now, I have to get like 100% in trials to get rank 1 because I'm sure the guy ranked first will get a 90% I'm really pumped for those trials, I've done 30% on the ATAR so far, and I'm on about 25/30 average for all subjects, trials and HSC are 70% so I'm planning on getting at least 67/70 for all subject but I'm worried that not getting rank 1 will affect my final ATAR :(
But even if you rank 2nd, then you'll still be fine! You're not suddenly going to lose all these marks in the HSC. There's nothing at all to be worried about.
I would attempt to explain how ranking works but I'd probably stuff up on something and then everyone would get mad lol. But chill, its alright :)

Besides, you may have made some silly mistakes in an exam, but then other people could make the same argument as well and believe that they should deserve better marks

llllllllllll

HSC
But even if you rank 2nd, then you'll still be fine! You're not suddenly going to lose all these marks in the HSC. There's nothing at all to be worried about.
I would attempt to explain how ranking works but I'd probably stuff up on something and then everyone would get mad lol. But chill, its alright :)

Besides, you may have made some silly mistakes in an exam, but then other people could make the same argument as well and believe that they should deserve better marks
I have been in Australia for 2 years, I'll apply for disadvantage since my English is a barrier preventing me from performing my best and reaching my full potential, my carriers advisor at school said they will give me about 11 marks for my ATAR and my ATAR ranking will no longer compare with people who speak English properly since that it unfair, REAL ADVANTAGE RIGHT THERE :) hope it works out, I'm sure it will, they can have a look at my passport, LOL

Thief

!!
HSC
I have been in Australia for 2 years, I'll apply for disadvantage since my English is a barrier preventing me from performing my best and reaching my full potential, my carriers advisor at school said they will give me about 11 marks for my ATAR and my ATAR ranking will no longer compare with people who speak English properly since that it unfair, REAL ADVANTAGE RIGHT THERE :) hope it works out, I'm sure it will, they can have a look at my passport, LOL
What made you decide to advanced english over ESL, then?

Good luck to you for your HSC though =)

HSC
how would you apply?

llllllllllll

HSC
What made you decide to advanced english over ESL, then?

Good luck to you for your HSC though =)
If I do ESL my english will not improve since they study retarded stuff. I'm doing well in English though. So if I get 98, I don't think they will give me any marks, I think they add marks only of I get bellow 90 so it might not benefit me that much. My cousin did her HSC 5 years ago when she came here and she got a really bad ATAR of 79, they boosted it to 87 but I'm pretty sure I'll get 90+ so they might add no marks since it would be unfair. I don't know how it works, will talk to my carriers advisor.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)