This Is Urgent.. Help N Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds Please (1 Viewer)

Nickyxoxo

HSC
I AM SO NEEDING HELP RITE NOW IM COMPLETELY STUCK WITH NO WHERE TO GO!

i hav to disect the techniques and wat not on lucy in the sky with diamonds and ive looked everywhere but nothing seems to help.
please if u know anything about the tequniues, the music, the context, PLEASE WRITE BAK THIS IS URGENT IM DROWNING!!!!!!!!!! :bomb:

THANK U

Toranaman

HSC
Hey

I was just working on this yesterday for a media file. I used a few websites to get most of my info. I searched "lucy in the sky with diamonds deep reading" and got a few good results. Really it is about a LSD trip. However there is also refrences to Yoko and McCartney. If all else fails Wikipedia. It has an article on it, which talks about the changes in speed during the song from 4/4 to 4/3 ect.

Hope this helped:)

Nickyxoxo

HSC
hey thanks veri much thats realli helpful, much appreciated! :)

lucyinthesky61

HSC
I think Lucy in the Sky would be a very difficult song to analyse. I don't think it actually has a lot of meaning behind it - this is from what I have gathered and from what I have read. As mentioned above I'm quite sure it was about an acid trip and nonsence lyrics. I know that on other occasions (such as in the song I Am the Walrus) John Lennon actually intentionally included lyrics that didn't make sense. But good luck - and also be careful with the information you find on Wikipedia because it's not always reliable or even true. Good luck though

chim-chimity

HSC
It is in effect about LSD but Lennon gt the idea from a picture his son drew for him and he took the words from images in Alice in Wonderland.
For analysis of techniques used in the song here is a bunch of stuff I found (just copied and pasted hope it is of some help):

Style and Form
"Lucy ..." is comparable in many respects to "Tomorrow Never Knows" and "Strawberry Fields Forever". It is less subtle than either of those two songs, but it also all the more outrageous and not the least bit less ingenious.
It's also the most explicitly drugs-oriented of the three; even the earlier precedents such as "I'm Only Sleeping" and "Dr. Robert" sound tame in comparison. Don't ever forget that just because the title of the song matches the name of picture painted by toddler Julian doesn't mean that the song isn't's about the so-called "dreaded" Lysergic Acid :) Plasticene porters with looking glass ties, indeed.
The music is certainly as mercurial and elusive as the imagery of the words, especially in terms of the constantly shifting key structure and the rhythmic alternation of 3/4 and 4/4 meters. There's also that typically Beatlesque manipulation of form in the way the bridge section is dropped for the final Verse sequence.
The use of drone-like harmony in the verse and rote repetition of a single phrase in the refrain lends an appropriate eyes-pinned hypnotic feeling to the piece.
Melody and Harmony
The melodic material is kept exceedingly simple in consideration of the combined metrical and harmonic challenges which underlie it. Hum it to yourself and listen to what it sounds like independently of the accompaniment. I mean, there's not much there if you take it out of context.
The song's three sections each have a distinct harmonic and melodic profile:
The verse is in the key of A and consists of a repeated chromatic filling out of the I chord. The tune just noodles around the five notes that outline the A-Major triad.
The bridge starts off in the key of B-flat but finishes up in the key of G. This seemingly remote modulation belies a loose relation between the two keys: G is the parallel Major of g minor, and the latter is the relative minor of B-flat. The tune here is almost monotonously stuck on the note D.
In order to provide some well-needed ballast-like oases of predictability, the Refrain is in G and stays close to home with the old I -» IV -» V progression. However, it also pivots on the D chord to get back to the key of A for the verses which follow it. The melody this time consists of a plain downward scale.
Arrangement
Lewisohn says the opening ostinato lick is played on a special Hammond organ stop that sounds like a celeste. Fine; the end result still sounds to my ears sounds like a harpsichord played back with as much seasick flutter as you'd get from my 35 year-old (and counting) Wollensak reel-to-reel tape deck.
Paul's standout performance on bass is ample proof of how the magical collaborative abilities of Messrs. Lennon and McCartney was extended well beyond the arbitrary task divisions of words-versus-music, or verses-versus- middle eights. I am especially impressed by the amount of variation provided by the bass part:
First verse: downbeats only ;
First bridge: every beat, largely with repeated notes;
First refrain: running eighth notes in Baroque fashion;
Second verse: downbeats only, again;
Second bridge: every beat, with more in the way of arpeggio outlines;
Second refrain: running eighth notes, again;
Third verse: more active and in a less regimented manner than previously;
Outro: more running eighth notes, this time with arpeggios as well as melodic runs.
The vocal parts show similar attention to structured variation:
Verses: John solo; at first with so little ADT that you can isolate a pristine single-track vocal by blocking out either of the stereo channels. Final phrase is more truly double-tracked.
Bridges: John solo; heavily echoed with mild ADT, and sounding like he's exhaling helium :)
First refrain: First phrase sounds like Paul solo but with ADT. Second phrase has John and Paul singing in unison. Third phrase has them singing in parallel thirds; with Paul as usual "on top", so to speak.
Second refrain: The parallel thirds start right in the first phrase.
Outro: First phrase has John and Paul in unison, but the rest of the entire outro is in parallel thirds.
Other instrumental details of note include the way the lead guitar always doubles the lead vocal in the bridges, the prominence of the organ during the outro, and the repeated, ultra close-up, yet sparing use of the tamboura drone; "is that you buzzin?" 2

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
I dont think it would be that good to use for english... songs in general arent as good for english as everyone thinks, poems tend to have deeper meaning and take a similiar form to song lyrics.

^emmie^

HSC
i think songs are good related materials more to talk about theyre really just poems with music n beat

i did lucy in the sky with diamonds anyway here is what i handed in

Related Material Analysis

Title of material and composer- Lucy in the sky with diamonds, the Beatles (written mainly by John Lennon)
Type of material- Song
Source- Stg. Pepper’s lonely hearts club band
Date published- 1967

Audience- People who liked pop music, teenagers and young adults. Beatles fans.

Summary of content- It is a song about a persona who is called by a girl with kaleidoscope eyes, then follows her in a newspaper taxi into the sky. He then goes to a train station and sees her at the turnstyle.

Context of text- Psychedelic music was very popular at the time. People have assumed that the song title includes the acronyms for LSD (Lucy, Sky, Diamonds) which was popular at the time, with the Beatles themselves experimenting with LSD’s along with their fans.

Relationship to imaginative journeys- It relates to imaginative journeys as it is clearly imaginary as throughout the song there is the presents of nonsensical images only things that would appear in ones imagination not in reality. It is a journey of a persona following a girl through these images to find her at the end. Also the fact that John Lennon said that the song was inspired by a painting his son Julian drew which he described as “Lucy in the sky with diamonds” shows that it was inspired by a child’s imagination.

[FONT=&quot]Effect of language techniques in conveying the message-[/FONT][FONT=&quot]It is written in second person which allows the responder to feel as if they are there and also on an imaginative journey. Examples include “picture yourself…” “somebody calls you…” “waiting to take you away”. There is a theme of ordinary objects being turned into something extraordinary this helps the responder in escapism from reality and ordinary life. Examples of this include ‘kaleidoscope eyes’ ‘newspaper taxis’ ‘plasticine porters’. The initial sound is cloudy which has the effect of making the responder gain a feeling of being carried away or floating. The music to the song is simplistic including only vocals, backing vocals, drums, bass, keyboard, and a tambourine this helps the responder to be able to focus on the uncanny lyrics and not to be overwhelmed with the combination of both aspects.

hope it was helpful
[/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)