this late into the year, and we're still running in circles... (1 Viewer)

sardonicerrors

its do or die this year.
HSC
just feel like I need some guidance at the present moment

extension history has been a bit of a confuzzling course as of late - we tend to go off on massive tangents and debate about issues and junk rather then do class work.

i feel like i know nothing in regards to not only what is history but also the section 2 personality or case study, in which we're doing kennedy.

anyone willing to take me under their wing and give me some guidance as to where to start studying, how we're supposed to answer questions and whatnot?

it would be much appreciated. :)

technicolour

HSC
What sort of resources have you got? Warren for the core is always a great place to start, and Bastian does a great JFK section.

sardonicerrors

its do or die this year.
HSC
ive got the ken webb textbook for the what is history section and my teacher has photocopied sections from other things for that.

we've got bastians book for kennedy, good to know its an excellent resource (Y)

ive been told by my teacher not to rely too much on warren, because a lot of students tend to use his understanding or 'view' of history as their own and quote stuff to the masses from his 'history and the historians' book

technicolour

HSC
Yeah, I try not to use Warren too much either. You should try the bos resource section for historiography. Most of the resources there are great. I pretty much survived on the historians mentioned by Warren and some out of the bos resources.

For the JFK section, try having a read of the historians mentioned by Bastian. So anywhere from the Sorensen to Parmet and Reeves. I know it's hard to get access sometimes, but the State Library has almost every book in the world. Our teacher is actually giving us the relevant chapters by those historians, which I find really useful, so yeah, try accessing them.

I'm sorry I can't be more help, but it sounds like you're doing fine! :)

zipperchan

HSC

extension history has been a bit of a confuzzling course as of late - we tend to go off on massive tangents and debate about issues and junk rather then do class work.

i feel like i know nothing in regards to not only what is history but also the section 2 personality or case study, in which we're doing kennedy.

anyone willing to take me under their wing and give me some guidance as to where to start studying, how we're supposed to answer questions and whatnot?

I feel much the same as you.

I understand the content, (am also doing JFK) but I have no idea of what the actual structure of both the trial and the HSC is going to be like. What sort of questions will we be asked? What do we specifially need to know? I know that
we have to make reference to historians, but what exactly does that entail?

These sort of things I am really confused about, so if anyone knows it would be really helpful. ;)

katykiddx

HSC

I know how you feel.. seems the same as what we are doing..
Stupid crusades.. :(..
but thankfully my school library has a book called Crusades for Dummies.. superr excited :)

GOOD LUCK!

sardonicerrors

its do or die this year.
HSC
tis mighty sad. all of us are on the same boat eh?

ANYONE OUT THERE WHO CAN GIVE US A HEADS UP ON ESSAY STRUCTURE/GUIDELINES?!?!? D=

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Have you actually seen a past paper yet?

If not ask your teacher to give you some for practice. Unfortunately some of the sources for Part A are still awaiting copyright and so aren't fully available on the BOS website.

Basically Part A will see you given an extended quote - can be a page or more long. You analyse the quote with reference to a question asking you to assess construction of history or something similar. As you discuss the quote you bring in your other historians.

For Part B you will get a short quote and again have to relate that quote to one or more of the debates about your case study and changing interpretations.

Rjat

HSC
N/A
They key for part one of the exam is the extended quote (last year's HSC quote was quite long). You need to pull this quote apart as it will set up many of your discussion points in the essay. Look particularly for any assumptions the author has made about history's purpose and ideas like 'truth'. If they talk about truth then you have plenty to argue about.

Analyse the quote closely, understand it, plan your response (you must do this) and then start writing.

Remember you are answering the question asked, but you are using what the quote says and the historians you know to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)