This question is breaking my head (1 Viewer)

upishcat

HSC
Im literally woke after seeing your explanation. Thank you so much my dude.

upishcat

HSC
woah is euler's formula in the new 4u syllabus now?
Yep! I personally think it a great addition. It truly is fascinating how Euler combined so many fundamental numbers in math and made a forumula out of them.

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
But when we take the Im(RHS) shouldnt we not consider 2cos(a-b/2) because that is a real part?
I did consider it. The Im(RHS) line in mine has the 2cos(a-b/2) in it..

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
May i ask how you got this? I got as far as to understanding that 3pi/12 and 2pi/12 are used because we know their values using pythagoras triangles
It's from the formula we obtained for tan(alpha + beta \2). You just plug in the values of alpha and beta into the sin and cos equation.

upishcat

HSC
S
May i ask how you got this? I got as far as to understanding that 3pi/12 and 2pi/12 are used because we know their values using pythagoras triangles
shouldn't you completely rationalise the denominator to get surd form?

HeroWise

HSC
interestingly I want to be a farmer when i grow up. So no uni for me amirite.
Jokes aside, aah. Interestingly, my career path atm looks really unrelated to maths rip.

stupid_girl

HSC
N/A
I guess the question is not expecting you to apply trigonometric identities for product to sum or sum to product. Otherwise, there's no point to bring complex number into the question. Having said that, I think a trigonometric approach is more elegant, especially for the second part of the question.

upishcat

HSC
I guess the question is not expecting you to apply trigonometric identities for product to sum or sum to product. Otherwise, there's no point to bring complex number into the question. Having said that, I think a trigonometric approach is more elegant, especially for the second part of the question.

Sorry DrDusk but I think I will have to go with this one. Stupid_girl's got a point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)