This year's band E4 cut-off? (1 Viewer)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
read the scaling profile and look at the distribution of marks. we know one starting point for sure (75/84 = 48/50) from FOI and you take it from there. i have heard that e4 cut-offs have been as low as 52/84 but it just doesnt sound right. personally i thought past years' papers were harder purely because difficult binomial and projectile motion questions tacked onto the end.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
blackfriday said:
read the scaling profile and look at the distribution of marks. we know one starting point for sure (75/84 = 48/50) from FOI and you take it from there. i have heard that e4 cut-offs have been as low as 52/84 but it just doesnt sound right. personally i thought past years' papers were harder purely because difficult binomial and projectile motion questions tacked onto the end.

but they were all generic...

the projectile was super easy as "show the motion can be represented by blah"
thats textbook shit, any nerd (or wannabe nerd) which does that enough times (which they may call studying) can recall it - no thought required. The projectile - nothing like any other year, many people would have had no idea and probably drew it out?

But this year's Q7, people could have potentially got 0. (well 1 mark - find the stationary point - but then again that question involves Squreroots that would throw off alot of candidates)

As for binomial... they're all the same.

u needed a wide range of knowledge and extensive understanding of the course for this test - that would probably make it easy (or same) for the 4u nerd but harder for the average individual.

I think there's gonna be a broader range of marks (not everyone clustered between 60-75). but with just as many ppl as last yr getting 100%.

so the band e4 cuttoff will probably be lower..!?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
blackfriday said:
maybe close to 52/84

in 2001 Lazarus received an aligned mark of 46/50

his RAW mark was 56/84....

i.e 56/84...was aligned to ... a 46/50

But i highly doubt a 46/50 will be as low as 56/84 this yr...but then again, no one knows!

I think the E4 cut off will most likely be somewhere between 60-65/84... who knows it could be less... but i dont think it'll be higher than 65... of course i could be wrong Im just assuming here!

however i also think that anything above 75/84 will align to 47+/50

meh!... i just hope some kind of miracle happens and i "somehow" get 40/50... which i highl doubt

the E3 cut off (i.e 35/50)... will probably be something like 42-46/84..once again this is just my opinion!

kenjieh

HSC
haboozin said:
but they were all generic...

the projectile was super easy as "show the motion can be represented by blah"
thats textbook shit, any nerd (or wannabe nerd) which does that enough times (which they may call studying) can recall it - no thought required. The projectile - nothing like any other year, many people would have had no idea and probably drew it out?

But this year's Q7, people could have potentially got 0. (well 1 mark - find the stationary point - but then again that question involves Squreroots that would throw off alot of candidates)

As for binomial... they're all the same.

u needed a wide range of knowledge and extensive understanding of the course for this test - that would probably make it easy (or same) for the 4u nerd but harder for the average individual.

I think there's gonna be a broader range of marks (not everyone clustered between 60-75). but with just as many ppl as last yr getting 100%.

so the band e4 cuttoff will probably be lower..!?

You took the words straight out of my mouth

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
this is how my reasoning works:

there are roughly 10000 kids doing 3u maths. now as bosby pointed out, the 4u kids on bos seem to have killed the exam many times over. there are about 3000 kids doing 4u, and out of them i would say she is referring to maybe 900-1000 of them. these 900-1000 would have hit 78+/84 no worries at all, and this also represents about 10% of the 3u candidature. now traditionally, the top 10% of the candidature would receive a mark within 47-50/50. now based on these assumptions i make, i would say that 78/84 would be a 47/50 and hence the band e4 cut off would be 68-72/84.

if there are any holes in my explanation please feel free to correct me.

jane_yui87

HSC
that's a pretty good logical explanations actually =)
although i still think 78/84 would be aligned to a higher mark say 47-48/50...but it depends on how the state goes since it's all relative...

ishq

brown?
HSC
blackfriday said:
this is how my reasoning works:

there are roughly 10000 kids doing 3u maths. now as bosby pointed out, the 4u kids on bos seem to have killed the exam many times over. there are about 3000 kids doing 4u, and out of them i would say she is referring to maybe 900-1000 of them. these 900-1000 would have hit 78+/84 no worries at all, and this also represents about 10% of the 3u candidature. now traditionally, the top 10% of the candidature would receive a mark within 47-50/50. now based on these assumptions i make, i would say that 78/84 would be a 47/50 and hence the band e4 cut off would be 68-72/84.

if there are any holes in my explanation please feel free to correct me.
1. I don't think 900 4u kids nailed it. Half that number and maybe we'll be close.
2. I think BOS would make the procedure such that it favoured 90% not 10% of the population. I don't know much abou the aligning/moderating procedures, but I'm guessing that there are some measures in place to ensure that 4u kids don't reap the benefits.
3. It is possible that through the linear thingy that RENCH explained in the 4u Forum, many of the 78+ marks get aligned to decimal points (because there are less of them and more of the 50/60 marks). These, when rounded up/down would have similar marks - not 47 - maybe 48 etc.
4. You must really take into account previous aligning. Laz's marks, acmilan's marks cannot all be VERY far from this year. It was a hard paper. You found it simple, lots of others didnt. Response from a selective school is not the state response. (I'm not trying to be offensive or critical :D)

That is all. :D:D

Yes, english here I come...

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
1. i say 900 kids nailed it because 900/3000 kids get 90+/100 in 4u maths. thats where i arrived at that magical number.

2. some questions in 3u are specifically for the 4u kids (and any very, very smart 3u kid) to determine the scaling for the 4u exam.

otherwise everything you say makes perfect sense to me.

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
blackfriday said:
1. i say 900 kids nailed it because 900/3000 kids get 90+/100 in 4u maths. thats where i arrived at that magical number.

2. some questions in 3u are specifically for the 4u kids (and any very, very smart 3u kid) to determine the scaling for the 4u exam.

otherwise everything you say makes perfect sense to me.
well last yr Acmilian got 75/84 which gave him a 48/50.
Now this includes the girly binomial and the decent SHM.

there's like limited correlation but you are setting the standards too high..

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Last year I'm quite sure I got 74-75/84 and I, like acmilan, got 48/50. The cut-off for a Band E4 last year would most probably have been around the high 50s or low 60s...because neither my mark nor ac's was reported /100, we can't make any accurate deductions about the cut-off since 48/50 could double to virtually anything from 95 to 96.99/100.

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
blackfriday said:
yeh you are right there lostauzzie, its stays the same for everything.

this year's scaling will suck because the paper was easier than usual.
Really? You think that this year's paper was easier?
I've done the past papers from 95 to 04, and i agree q7 was quite nice. Not totally solvable, but u could get bits. But i thought the first 5 q's were harder than usual. I do ext 2 so the ext 1 papers are easy neway, but normally i look at q1 and start laughing, so i reckon i can do it in 2 minutes or sumthin. This time it took me 7 min. Maybe i was jus working slower. And also, normally its Newton's method, and this time they changed it for halving the interval. I think that threw some ppl. Also, the internal division of the line. Not asking to find the point P dividin the interval but to find Pt B. That seemed like a trick to me.

I noticed all these subtleties that made me think that this year was a harder paper, thought that is good for me, cos i can answer qs 1 to 5 easy normally anyway, and it will make my mark better in comparison to everyone else.

So was it a harder paper? This is just IMO.

And also, wot mark do u reckon raw 79/84 will give?

EATAPIE

HSC
haboozin said:
yeh, exactly. ext 2 students found q7 easier, and thats good for us i guess, cos it means that the marks will be aligned higher than in previous years.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Q7 was doable in some bits, but it threw me off beacuse there was so much work to it! At least I could do bits of it, which is better than non-attempt of q7, which is what hapepned when I did previous years' 3U papers. The inequality induction, the halving interval, and 4a)--the tricky integration question, threw a lot of people off.The projectile--parts ii) and iii) were like mini-essays, and I was like stuff it--q7 looked ok during reading time, so I thought I'd pick up marks there, so I went straight on.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
yeh its really bloody hard to get your marks from FOI unless you're prepared to apy lots of money. 58/84 sounds kinda low for last year...

haboozin: im saying last year was more difficult because the binomial question was harder than this year's graphs question. the shm was also slightly more difficult (if you arent used to tide questions) than this year's projectile since it was straight forward.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
shiroangel said:
according to the stats, last year 58/84 would give you a 90% in 3unit
Like ying, I'm curious as to how you can be certain that the cut-off was 58/84 for 2004.

ying123123

ehehehheeh...
i was hoping that mark will be give ya 90!!
but i noe it wont happen
but then agian u never noe
want i think 58 will give ya is around 85> and <90
but the scaled mark is nice it can get ya around 43/50

EATAPIE

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Most likely 98/100.
ok, thanks. That's good news. Now just hoping for no stupid mistakes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)