Thoughts on 2015 CSSA MX2 Trials? (1 Viewer)

Ekman

HSC
Re: 4u trials CSSA

He typed the question slightly wrong.

I also feel stupid realising that I missed how to interpret my sums and products of roots.
Ok that makes sense since:

Drsoccerball

HSC

Drsoccerball said:

Easy 2 marker.

And that was out of 3.

Have a go if you want.
i)

b)

Hows this
Someone sent me the question in inbox
EDIT: If you square the result that means your halfing the roots doesn't that mean the sum should be up to That was my working out but i dont think its right
Actually makes sense because lets let u=z^2 and do sum of roots ! thats it fin

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

Edit: I noticed something fishy about roots being purely imaginary and that the double sum of roots being equal to a positive number, that could explain the reason why it would need to be positive n(n-1)?
Look at my working

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Someone sent me the question in inbox
EDIT: If you square the result that means your halfing the roots doesn't that mean the sum should be up to That was my working out but i dont think its right
Actually makes sense because lets let u=z^2 and do sum of roots ! thats it fin
It's just:

sum of squares of roots = (sum of roots)2 - 2•(sum of roots taken two at a time) (just rearranging the expansion of (a1 + a2 + ... + an)2)

i.e.

You should probably explain your steps a bit. And what do you mean let u = z2. Why do we need to do that?

Edit: oh I see what you were doing, you were treating the polynomial as a polynomial in z2 I think. But this argument only works for even n, because for odd n (e.g. imagine if the polynomial's first term was z5), substituting u = z2 would not give us a polynomial in u (as the leading term's power of u would be a non-integer). And for even n, your sum on the RHS of third line of part b)'s working would indeed be twice the sum of roots of the polynomial in u (which your LHS is), but you would need to provide explanation for why this is the case (using the conjugate root theorem to explain it).

Last edited:

Drsoccerball

HSC

It's just:

sum of squares of roots = (sum of roots)2 - 2•(sum of roots taken two at a time) (just rearranging the expansion of (a1 + a2 + ... + an)2)

i.e.

You should probably explain your steps a bit. And what do you mean let u = z2. Why do we need to do that?

Edit: oh I see what you were doing, you were treating the polynomial as a polynomial in z2 I think. But this argument only works for even n, because for odd n (e.g. imagine if the polynomial's first term was z5), substituting u = z2 would not give us a polynomial in u (as the leading term's power of u would be a non-integer). And for even n, your sum on the RHS of third line of part b)'s working would indeed be twice the sum of roots of the polynomial in u (which your LHS is), but you would need to provide explanation for why this is the case (using the conjugate root theorem to explain it).
So id lose one mark since i didnt prove for odd n?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)