Thoughts on CSSA Physics 2008 Paper (1 Viewer)

cweg2002

HSC
Just wondering how you guys nd gals went 2day on the CSSA Physics 2008 Paper? I was under prepared...

sobern

HSC
Felt really good, the exam felt a lot easier then normal. How where the other options, medical was so easy

youngguz

HSC
Did any1 think the data in the transformer question was wrong.

it said the input voltage was 12v and the input current was 0.05A,

the output voltage was 6v when the output current was 0.2mA.

shouldnt the output I > Input I since its a step-down transformer???

dolbinau

HSC
Surprisingly good.

The output should be equal, but it wasn't hence you had to find the powerloss.

P=IV

for primary P=12*0.05=0.6

For secondary P=6*(0.0002)=0.0012

There for, there was 0.5988 Watts of power loss.

At least, this is what I did. I'm not sure if I was right.

zirconian

HSC
structure of test is pretti retarded.... 50% of the exam was Motors and generators....

BackCountrySnow

HSC
youngguz said:

Didn't it ask for the power loss?

edcox

HSC
Yeah i got that 0.5998 thingo..

Anyone else think that motor was frikkin huge or did i get that wrong. i said like 278 or something for the torque.

Also that question about thought and reality was a little philosophical don't you think?

watzupwitdat

HSC
youngguz said:

Lol yeah i know, that transformer lost a shitload of power!!

BackCountrySnow

HSC
edcox said:
Yeah i got that 0.5998 thingo..

Anyone else think that motor was frikkin huge or did i get that wrong. i said like 278 or something for the torque.

Also that question about thought and reality was a little philosophical don't you think?
Yeah, i think i got something like that.
I thought it was wrong because it's a stupidly high number.

shais

HSC
omg that was eazy ( like decent) , compared to what i studied .. and i thought i was under prepared ...

2 question half done , and left one question (projectile motion)

medical killed it

Can someone answer the superconductor Question ???

DunnyBasher

HSC
edcox said:
Well, its a dot point, so I don't see anything wrong with them asking it
Personally I loved that question, as I did an assessment task on it and spent heaps of time researching it.
Structured my answer:
- he initially thought inertial frame had to hold true thus he would see the light travel at speed of light thus see his reflection
- then realised that infinite energy required to get to speed of light, thus not a traditional inertial reference frame
- hence concluded that he would see the light as 'a stationary oscillatory electromagnetic field at rest'
- then discussed relationship between thought and reality, emphasising that just because it holds true in current observations and seems to be applicable in thought doesn't mean it will hold true in reality

Paper was very easy, considering what I was expecting it to be.
Only question I couldn't really answer was the 4mrk medical physics question on bone density, I just repeated for 3 or so paragraphs that it measures the bone density >.>

shais said:
Can someone answer the superconductor Question ???
From my vauge recollection of the questions:
1. Able to be applied in electricity distribution, as there is
2. no resistance thus large currents are able to be transferred with no heat loss caused by resistance.
3. Maglev not used widely because of the costs associated with implementation primarily, but also because of maintainance and running costs.

Last edited:

Cob-was-here

HSC
Well, its a new personal best for me. Only 2 questions unanswered because I didn't have enough time (2 of the black body ones. I left them until last. Bad choice). Our exam was only on core topics with the options part consisting of more core questions. We seriously haven't started our option yet!!! (I'm nearly finished human story for Bio)

Anyway, yes, i got 0.5988 power loss and got around 278 or whatever for the torque question. As for that Einstein question. Well. Uh. I talked absolute shit, but i think it translates mostly to what DunnyBasher said. Something about classical physics being different to relative physics or somethin. I'm just disappointed that i didnt get to talk much about Tesla. I know soooo much about him.

I worked until the time was out. I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing. I looked around at all the other people and they had finished like an hour before the end. How did everybody else go time-wise?

Basically, I could've gone better if i didnt have tonsellitis.

andrewmurphy

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Yeah, i think i got something like that.
I thought it was wrong because it's a stupidly high number.
0.5998 ronded off to 1 ? because 300nm is no decimals

dolbinau

HSC
Cob-was-here said:
Well, its a new personal best for me. Only 2 questions unanswered because I didn't have enough time (2 of the black body ones. I left them until last. Bad choice). Our exam was only on core topics with the options part consisting of more core questions. We seriously haven't started our option yet!!! (I'm nearly finished human story for Bio)

Anyway, yes, i got 0.5988 power loss and got around 278 or whatever for the torque question. As for that Einstein question. Well. Uh. I talked absolute shit, but i think it translates mostly to what DunnyBasher said. Something about classical physics being different to relative physics or somethin. I'm just disappointed that i didnt get to talk much about Tesla. I know soooo much about him.

I worked until the time was out. I'm not sure if thats a good or bad thing. I looked around at all the other people and they had finished like an hour before the end. How did everybody else go time-wise?

Basically, I could've gone better if i didnt have tonsellitis.
Oh god. Was that torque question .40 cm or 40 cm? Was the 278 you got for the Torque or the force on the long wire?

andrewmurphy

HSC
Cob-was-here said:
...wrong question
the transformer question answer was 0.5998w power loss was this rounded up to 1 as 300nm had no decimals.. i never undertand sig figures

DunnyBasher

HSC
Cob-was-here said:
278 or whatever for the torque question.
Lol...funny thing...I put all the values straight into my calculator to determine force and got around...4000 odd...which multiplied by 0.08 gave me a torque of ~300..I thought it was too high, so I went and tried using a different method...finding the force in an individual wire and multiplying by the number of coils...didn't work out too well, so went back to the original method and got a force of ~54000N...which I knew was different, but because I had written up the working assumed it was correct...probably put the incorrect units in somewhere :(
ah well..only 4marks.

henry08

HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
There for, there was 0.5988 Watts of power loss.
That's what I got. We done this paper yesterday (Monday), although it had no CSSA cover sheet, but same questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)