Thoughts on Extension 2 Maths (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
dodgyv said:
alot of azns that do 4unit maths are like the guys that come from china and the guys that studied 4unit maths like ages ago. giving them such an advantage alot are pretty pathetic and arent gifted but you cant say cause they get to do esl english which totally more easier then standard and standard english get scaled down lOl mehhh this was in my school BUT still there were some that were gifted...FREAKS
On the general proposition that imagrants (in this case Asians) dont do well in english, there are only 5 people who do english extension and 1 is an indian. I would say that imagrants dont do well because they have never spoken english! Its like you going over to asia and you being great at physics, they would be like, he is crap at aisan but is genius at physics! It would just be because you have never spoken Asian!

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
kaz1 said:
change of plans for 4 unit looked through the textboooks and was like WTF?
That's just the dumbest excuse I've ever heard.

How about you being year 7 and looking at the year 12 2-unit book? You would've been "wtf" yourself.

Everything falls into place when you do it.

mick135

HSC
tommykins said:
That's just the dumbest excuse I've ever heard.

How about you being year 7 and looking at the year 12 2-unit book? You would've been "wtf" yourself.

Everything falls into place when you do it.
yeah,
well - im doing 4unit and im still questioning what on earth is happening
but im kicking in ext 1 - so i dont think i'll drop
i hate it when i get an ext 1 maths + ext 2 maths assessment in the 1 week
which my school happens to do every time.

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
Doctor Jolly said:
rofl. Yup yup, asian tradiation to do science topics and 4U Maths. You're probably disowned by your parents if you don't do it or something *shudders at the thought*

Yeah my non-asian friends always go "why do you asians so smart? is it all the rice you eat?" i love the rice connotations :p
i'm the exact opposite, hate science but love social sciences/humanities (good bs'ing skills) & do mediocre/sligtly above average in 2u & ok in ext1 maths.

jules.09

HSC
Bored of SC, I think that being honest with yourself is important. Are you really understanding the math in 2/3 unit math at the moment at school? I reckon that 4 unit math requires persistence and hard work, but even then, you have to understand what's going on, as opposed to rote learning, which you would be able to get away with in 2/3 unit maths.

Mathematics, like any other science, is something you need a passion for. Sure, the BOS wants you to be mechanical, good uai-churning students and good marks really do count, but if you enjoy your subjects, and have a willingness to learn, 4 unit math should be an 'inviting' challenge.

bored of sc

HSC
jules.09 said:
Bored of SC, I think that being honest with yourself is important. Are you really understanding the math in 2/3 unit math at the moment at school? I reckon that 4 unit math requires persistence and hard work, but even then, you have to understand what's going on, as opposed to rote learning, which you would be able to get away with in 2/3 unit maths.

Mathematics, like any other science, is something you need a passion for. Sure, the BOS wants you to be mechanical, good uai-churning students and good marks really do count, but if you enjoy your subjects, and have a willingness to learn, 4 unit math should be an 'inviting' challenge.
Thanks. Well, I am going well in 2-Unit and quite well in 3-unit (despite my average test mark) and I love maths and understand most of the work so far (polynomials is confusing me a bit). I would do 4-unit maths for sure if it went like this:

Mathematics = 2 unit
Extension 1 = 1 unit
Extension 2 = 1 unit

That would be like a godsend - cause mathematics is my stong point!

I can handle it but I'm not sure if I wanna through away the chance at good mathematics marks (if I keep up my efforts)... It's a hard one.

It is understandable to do what you WANT to do i.e. enjoyment factor but that doesn't really come into it since I undoubtly enjoy it, just not sure I could cope with the abstract thoughts of 4 unit though (I am already struggling a little with the long division of polynomials).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Thanks. Well, I am going well in 2-Unit and quite well in 3-unit (despite my average test mark) and I love maths and understand most of the work so far (polynomials is confusing me a bit). I would do 4-unit maths for sure if it went like this:

Mathematics = 2 unit
Extension 1 = 1 unit
Extension 2 = 1 unit

That would be like a godsend - cause mathematics is my stong point!

I can handle it but I'm not sure if I wanna through away the chance at good mathematics marks (if I keep up my efforts)... It's a hard one.

It is understandable to do what you WANT to do i.e. enjoyment factor but that doesn't really come into it since I undoubtly enjoy it, just not sure I could cope with the abstract thoughts of 4 unit though (I am already struggling a little with the long division of polynomials).
If you do Mathematics Extension 2, Mathematics won't count towards your UAI. In fact, you won't even sit for Mathematics exam. Mathematics Extension 1 becomes 2 Unit and the Mathematics Extension 2 becomes another 2 Unit.

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:
If you do Mathematics Extension 2, Mathematics won't count towards your UAI. In fact, you won't even sit for Mathematics exam. Mathematics Extension 1 becomes 2 Unit and the Mathematics Extension 2 becomes another 2 Unit.
Yeah, I know :) - I wish it was maths = 2 unit, ext 1 = 1 unity and ext 2 = 1 unit; oh how good that would be

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Yeah, I know :) - I wish it was maths = 2 unit, ext 1 = 1 unity and ext 2 = 1 unit; oh how good that would be
Why?

I reckon getting Band E4 in Mathematics Extension 2 is better than <95 in Mathematics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)