Thoughts on Frankenstein/Bladerunner (1 Viewer)

geesauce

HSC
I have to say the beginning of Frankenstein wasn't so good, but i plowed through it, finished in 4 days and in the end thought it was fair good!

Blade runner i hated the first time i watched it but by the second time, i loved it.

Hang in there '09 guys! not long now! :)
x x

Juliaan

HSC
I doubt frankenstein has a detective theme integrated in the text due to a chapter explaining that Justine is trialled falsely...

Though maybe your right, dnoh.

I like made myself enjoy frankenstein and bladerunner, cause you have no choice.. ha.

amiet

HSC
seems like im doing the same things as all you guyyyys.
Read the first 50pages of Frankenstien and got over it.
but i get the idea.
We've watched Bladerunner twice now, the first time i was like whaaaaaat? I get it now, but its still a stupid movie.
Now we have to compare the two. The different contexts and values and ideas.
HELLLLP?

Amy-Elizabeth

HSC
Yeah I've had to make myself try and like Frankenstein and Bladerunner as well. The concepts are alright, just wish they'd get to the point a little quicker than they did.

I feel your pain Amiet, we've just started relating the two aswell. The only thing I've picked up on so far from watching the film one is that the scene where Pris gets killed by Deckar is fairly closely linked to the part in frankenstein where Frankenstien's wife is murdered by the monster. There are quite a few differences, but they share some of the same idea's about humanity and how it is natural for humans to feel the need to belong.
Still working on a solid answer for how the two relate, but the other replicant (can't remember his name) in blade runner that came in and found pris dead shows a stong sense of love and effection to her which show that the replicant's have human like qualities, he then also seeks revenge because Deckar has taken his mate away from him. I've compared him to the monster in frankenstien because the monster who is also not human develops these same emotions and wants to form relationships and seeks revenge because Frankenstein has stoped this from happening by refusing to create another monster as his mate.
anyway hope that helps you a bit.

Last edited:

Kirstan

HSC
i have a speech due on this tomorrow.
and i have been working away but i just have no idea
like values and perspectvies i just dont get what they are.
and for blade runner.. the teacher says like everything has a meaning like the unicorn or a man with the erection and i am like WHAT!!
how does this have a meaning i just dont see the meaning in anything.
i am finding this so hard so if am one can help PLEASE
im desperate!!!!!!

ixswans

HSC
Frankenstein is a great book..

Blade Runner was boring and confusing but once you start to analyse the whole humanity issue, it becomes interesting.

KayJayBird

HSC
Everyone seems to have found Frankenstein a tedious read, but many gothic novels are likely to be this way, afterall the romanticists were well known for their over board descriptions of things such as nature, which alone is likely to bore us to tears. However it is the concepts of Frankenstein that I found truly interesting and horrifying, I did rather enjoy the book, though I must admit to skimming.

keetah_x0

HSC
i didnt like frankenstein, maybe because im a romanticism hater. anyway, blade runner is heaps good.
maybe the ppl doing modern or extension history will understand this better, but i think it has a slightly marxist outlook on the future. not that ridley scott ever said the movie was "marxist" as such. but J.F sebastian lives in a huge building that is completely empty apart from him, when the streets are clearly overcrowded (the whole gap between socail classes thing). tyrell also seems to have connections with the police(corruption?) and the movie seems to take a critical stance on the corporate capitalism issue. also the fact that ridley is a brit enables him to have an outsiders relatively objective, if slightly critical, view on the future of america.

u probably didnt get any of this since u havent watched the movie but the thought hit me this morning during extension history n im just like sho excited over it. even tho its a lame thing to be excited over. :rolleyes:

anyway, is it just me or did anyone notice how postmodernist our english curriculum is?

HSC
I thought Frankenstein was easy reading compared to Dracula and the Turn of the Screw in Ext 1 last year!!

Once you get to understanding Blade Runner & Frankenstein, it gets more interesting (for me, anyway ;) )

.Joe.

j.man
HSC
when i read frankenstein for the first time and watched bladerunner, I didn't think too much of them, but once we discussed it in class, i am very interested.

the end of both texts are quite sad

Lauren1992

HSC
the teacher says like everything has a meaning like the unicorn or a man with the erection and i am like WHAT!!
Say What!! Man with an erection!

I love Blade Runner and hate frankenstein... Have not passed a single essay on frankenstein so far!!

-xDan

HSC
Blade-runner is boring...partially due to the fact that I've already seen it like 50 times when we used to bludge too much in year 10 english..

Only highlight was before we start watching it, my friends like "isn't that the movie with the Jamaicans and the bobsled" ROFL!!! He got Cool Runnings confused with Blade-Runner...haha

LOL. my teacher made the reference to it in class. when some people said it was boring

-xDan

HSC
Say What!! Man with an erection!

I love Blade Runner and hate frankenstein... Have not passed a single essay on frankenstein so far!!

Lol, some people also linked the little robot sebastian made with the long nose to an erection too.

arumisan

HSC
Frankenstein wasn't the best i've read but the do enjoy the themes explored. in all, i though the ideas, and the characters explored were pretty good. however the writing style of the book, and especially how slow and boring the beginning was made me want to just give up on reading the book (like for emma and dracular - though i now regret not finishing dracula) and just read the summaries. it did get better once it got to the creation of the monster, though i found the book unfulfilling again as once it reached the climax, it plummeted staight down and it looked like that shelley was rushing to finished the book (i mean the entire chase scenario was basically summed up in one chapter!).

bladerunner on the other hand, well the first time we saw it, i kinda nodded off in a couple of places (due to my tiredness mainly) and when my class was discussing the film, i had no idea who roy was and so forth. the second viewing wasn;t anything better, but the class discussions does help me understand the text better, though my teacher forces her views onto us. :(

hopefully i am able to understand blade runner fully by the end of the week, especially when we have an assessment on it. come to think of it, does anyone know of a good website that has some critical analysis notes and stuff on blade runner :p?

amyrowe

HSC
LOVED Frankenstein..it really impacted me...i tried to start watching Blade Runner but it was like being continuously punched in the face.

HSC
LOVED Frankenstein..it really impacted me...i tried to start watching Blade Runner but it was like being continuously punched in the face.
i agree! i loved frankenstein!
but bladerunner is slowly killing me.
im trying to get past the first hour. but its too difficult.

HSC
ok almost finished bladrunner now.
its um....interesting.
i get whats going on but sometimes i just dont get why its happening.
i dunno...hard to explain.
definatly like frankenstein better!!

hentaisama

HSC
rubric does mention treatment of similar content in a pair of texts composed in different times and values; considering the texts in thier contexts and comparing values and ideals brings a heightened understanding of meaning.

so im assuming, and this is entirely speculation; they are referring to the entire concept of the artifice and playing god? animated life in frankenstien and the replicants in blade runner.
the mary shelly romantic era depicted the post-enlightenment argument of the supernatural over the comprihensible (therefore the cautionary tale of warning against science).
in the 1980s however, the boom in attention to the value of technology, blade runner similarly sorta is a warning tale in itself? (the neonlit city, the vanity in the excessive fashion of the people (my entire class totally went wtf when the woman put on a plastic jacket) <- a complete loss of identity; furthured on by the fact deckard can no longer discriminate between humans and replicants, the real and the arifical)

the differnece between the two i guess is shelly more or less conforming to the social perception of her context whilst ridley scott confronts his.

anyone reckon im sorta on the right track?

ps: doing romanticism for ext 1, cant believe we had to do northanger abbey which was friggin pointless, instead of frankenstien!

HSC
ps: doing romanticism for ext 1, cant believe we had to do northanger abbey which was friggin pointless, instead of frankenstien!
i thought that exact same thing actually! although i dropped ext 1 at the end of last year (couldnt stand romanticism) i wondered why oh why we had to do northanger abbey instead of frankenstien.
im not a real romanticist person anyway.

Last edited:

hentaisama

HSC
haha sorta forced into keeping eng ext atm due to oversight of how intensely hardcore eng ext 2 and how boring mod hist got.

save the novels which are absolute snooze fests, romanticism isnt actually all that bad; sorta like a 1800s hippy movement if you think about it, fight da man and get high (coleridge was high when he wrote kubla khan, which we studied LOL). and i absolutely have no problem with that :D

plus everyone says gets you more intouch with your feminine side and closer to the ladies? hahaha thats probably not true but i can hope

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)