Thoughts on importing JDM cars? (1 Viewer)

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Hey guys, I just want to see peoples on importing JDM cars to Australia or if anyone has done it? Considering possibly for the future.

Discuss!

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
What kind of car? I think most the time you are better off sourcing one locally. All the import yards will claim that imports which have been through a few owners over here are inferior to a fresh import but it's all a bit ironic considering they also trade in cars and most of them have horrible reputations.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
It's not really worth the hassle unless you can't find it locally. Really depends what you're looking for though, importing a hakosuka would be different to 370z as its obviously much easier to get a 370z in Australia.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Well, even disregarding the fact that the 370z's were sold as Fairlady Zs over in Japan, they are not allowed to be imported under RAWS for street registration afaik. No problem since there are plenty of Australian delivered models. With most other import models there are already plenty for sale (which were previously imported used from Japan) on the used car market. Unless you have very specific demands there probably isn't much use importing a car yourself. In fact with some cars like the S15 Silvia/200sx there are both JDM and australian delievered examples to choose from and a steady stream of imports coming in.

Classic cars like the hakosuka are a totally different kettle of fish. Far less red tape involved with cars older than a certain age, but those kind of cars have a cult following in Japan (and overseas) too so you can't expect to find a bargain. I've even heard of some cars "going back home" when exchange rates are favourable. Makes sense though, same thing happens here. A lot of the old Aussie muscle cars were sold and assembled in South Africa before all the anti-Apartheid measures, plenty of them are now over here as they have become fairly collectable.

Yeah, old Z cars are awesome. I like the one that's usually first to come up if you search 240z on google images. It's got a RB26 swap iirc, I have conflicting feelings about that though. There's a shop in Japan who swapped a RB30/RB26 hybrid (with a VL block imported from here haha) with a carby set up into a 240z. Pretty cool!

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Let's not forget the 370z is considered a high performance 6 cylinder and hence no go for a P Plater.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Let's not forget the 370z is considered a high performance 6 cylinder and hence no go for a P Plater.
That always was the case, i just forgot if it was the same with the v35/v36 skylines (or G35 G37 infiniti) so went to look it up. It appears the whole "high performance 6" ban has been quietely reversed!? No more 350z and 370z on the list, same with Honda NSX and all the non turbo Porsches =0 Unless there is another document somewhere?

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/201210_prohibited_vehicles_list.pdf

EDIT: Yeah, nvm, I could have sworn they were on that list before but maybe they weren't. This page still lists the previously mentioned cars as banned http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/downloads/p1p2_conditions_dl1.html

That PDF document was updated later than the other page though... But does say it's not fully inclusive.

Last edited:

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
Really haven't decided on what I wanted to import, in some cases it does seem to be cheaper than buying a car here but I guess that does come with risks not being able to test drive it before buying etc but there are some sites that send in a mechanic for you that give it a once over and send a detailed report and all that jazz. Main reason is that it's cheaper. I wanted to really just get peoples opinions on importing cause I don't have a fabulous array of knowledge on importing.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If you want cheaper, buy locally. All costs inclusive you are usually better off buying a car locally if it has already been imported in a high quantity. That holds even more true for P plate legal cars. Most the cost invovled with importing cars is compliance + shipping (often more than the price of the car), so it's more economical to import a more valuable car. Something like an FTO (random example) can be bought locally for maybe 5-7k, but could be 10k or more to import.

EpikHigh

Arizona Tears
HSC
If you want cheaper, buy locally. All costs inclusive you are usually better off buying a car locally if it has already been imported in a high quantity. That holds even more true for P plate legal cars. Most the cost invovled with importing cars is compliance + shipping (often more than the price of the car), so it's more economical to import a more valuable car. Something like an FTO (random example) can be bought locally for maybe 5-7k, but could be 10k or more to import.
Really? I've been of a few sites and including shipping and compliance etc for say a silvia it comes to around 15-6grand where as buying locally is around 20 grand. I may be missing out on something but yeah thats just from what I've seen.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Really? I've been of a few sites and including shipping and compliance etc for say a silvia it comes to around 15-6grand where as buying locally is around 20 grand. I may be missing out on something but yeah thats just from what I've seen.
What kind of Silvia? The Autech S15's are only 20 grand when buying off the import yards, you can sometimes get them much cheaper on gum tree. Currently three for less than 16.5 grand. There is also room for bargaining with the prices listed on carsales, gumtree etc. ads but on the other hand it's definitely possible for the costs to go over the estimates when importing.

Tbh, I wouldn't bother with a non turbo s15. s13/s14s are cheaper. Any extra power the autech s15 has over a stock sr20 in something like a SSS pulsar would be offset by the drive train losses (rwd not as efficient as fwd) and that's not even taking in to account that the silvia would be heavier.

Toy86

HSC
What are you after? Imported a car last year, its time for her to go. :( She's considered a very powerful p plater car if not most. S15 Autech. Here's my ad..

http://forum.jdmstyletuning.com/showthread.php?55231-NSW-Nissan-Silvia-S15-Autech-(P-Plate-legal)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Clean Autech but I'm not after an S15 - currently have an N15 SSS and am 9 months off my fulls. I think OP may be though.

While the Autechs are nice, an sv6 commodore, xr6 falcon or sportivo aurion would be the most powerful stock and affordable p plater car imo. An average SSS or Honda would have a better power to weight ratio too.

alrxate

HSC
Already planning on importing an FD over to OZ from Japan.
Will go there and get it myself later next year, cheaper and wiser.
You must consider if it is eligible to import it here, if not, then spend 12 months with it in japan lol.
Anyway, as calculated, I'll be bargaining it if i was to import it rather than buy it locally.

for 6k+3K+4k+2K..... ILL BE DRIVING IT here. R-spec FD3S imported... holds a value of 24K haha

alrxate

HSC
yeah, you'll have unconsidered fundamentals and needs the car pursuits popping up and all you can do is just spend on it.. having said that, i am ready to go on with this. a friend imported an s15 silvia (famous, has a channel call Mighty car mods if u know him). i was there with him when he calculated the outcomes of importing it, especially with that of the compliance costs.
nevertheless, totally wooooooorth it!
the fd will cost me close to 12K.. 15K max if not 16K, have the exporter, importer and the legislation office to finalise it all.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
yeah, you'll have unconsidered fundamentals and needs the car pursuits popping up and all you can do is just spend on it.. having said that, i am ready to go on with this. a friend imported an s15 silvia (famous, has a channel call Mighty car mods if u know him). i was there with him when he calculated the outcomes of importing it, especially with that of the compliance costs.
nevertheless, totally wooooooorth it!
the fd will cost me close to 12K.. 15K max if not 16K, have the exporter, importer and the legislation office to finalise it all.
lol Moog and Marty

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I think you are seriously under estimating the costs. Afaik only the series 8s can be imported and since they are the late models they command a premium in Japan even for a good one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)