• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Thoughts on Independent Chemistry Paper (1 Viewer)

jessi90

HSC
Well, this was my last exam and was the HARDEST. This was way harder than other of the past hsc questions and was just simply insane. What are you thoughts?

danlan

HSC
Really fussy and annoying, involves lots of speculation.

I think the authors intendedly "shrink" the marks of individual questions, as a result we have many more to do!!!

henry08

HSC
N/A
My trial was also harder than past HSC papers. What werer some of the questions like?

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Not sure if you did the same paper but there's one question that asks you to assess the use of lithium (is it?) in portable battery (?) or st like that. And one had a picture of some weird mechanic stuff.

minijumbuk

┗(^o^ )┓三
HSC
Undermyskin said:
Not sure if you did the same paper but there's one question that asks you to assess the use of lithium (is it?) in portable battery (?) or st like that. And one had a picture of some weird mechanic stuff.
That's weird. What if you didn't choose a lithium cell as your example? Say, like... You used button cell or something =\

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
I really don't know why I've come across two papers with very specific questions like that. One is Petruskey: it asked about PHA (but I choose Poly Lactide) but thank god I studied st from Conquering Chem before. This one, well, I think, targets at how we can draw a general conclusion based on an element's properties. Since there are sections in text books that teach 'how to handle blah safely' or 'how to choose blah for certain purposes' or the like, I assume it's the modified 9.1?

danz90

HSC
Undermyskin said:
Yep... thats the paper that I did. I have to agree with others that the paper was quite hard... I barely finished in time, rushing through the option.

The question on Li cell... basically I said that lithium will readily oxidise (or in effect.. ionise) since it is in Group I and is highly reactive. Therefore, it will readily provide a high voltage bla bla... and is advantageous for smaller devices such as hearing aids, pacemakers etc.

I didn't like the question with the airbag...
The titration question was alsoo crappppp

Aaron.Judd

HSC
Yeah I too done the paper with the lithium cell, and the one with the airbag. The teacher said it was a hard trial paper.

danz90

HSC
lol anyone keen to post their results up from Independent paper?

So far, my teacher has marked only the core section + M/C.. I got 65.5/75, so far... which is the top mark in the class.
I saw i lost quite a few marks on the first part of short answers with that polymer question. I also only got 11/15 for multiple choice.

I hope i get around 20/25 for Option (Industrial)

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Yeah I did that same paper, the airbag question was indeed crap. The optional topic (shipwrecks, ect) was great, got 24/25 for it :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)