Thoughts on Music 1 Aural Exam (1 Viewer)

corro91

HSC
Can any1 remember the Artist 4 the last extract....i want to download it...lol. I know the song is called "I want to be like you" just can't remember the artist.

Nª!j∂♫

HSC
hahaha i laughed a LOT at the guy's pronunciation..
he sounded SO much like a robot at the end lol
:]
i loved the last song!
all i could think of was dancing monkeys! hahahaha

laura898

HSC
I used it to notate the rhythms in the second version of They Took the Children Away or whatever it was called. Just the vibraphone ostinato and snare/kick rhythm. Do they normally provide it??

I don't know. I'd say they would. Or else where could people write out rhythm notations or melodies?

laura898

HSC
hahaha i laughed a LOT at the guy's pronunciation..
he sounded SO much like a robot at the end lol
:]
i loved the last song!
all i could think of was dancing monkeys! hahahaha
lol I was the same! All I could think of was the Jungle Book hahaha.

cassdawgs

HSC
just as a side note, how many people actually used the manuscript paper? i used it today for the first time, just to notate out that little keyboard ostinato in that comparative one with the art orchestra.

i used it soo much!!
i wrote the whole pattern the snare drum was playing in version 2 of those songs!!

and i also used it to draw a melodic contour showing a stepping melody..

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
For the 3rd question, I dictated the rhythms straight into the booklet. As a result I didn't use the manuscript.
I wrote all my notes on the table lol. Like little reminders. eg. Pitch - Melody, Harmony, Tonality. Duration - Metre, Beat, Tempo, Rhythm. Etc.

chuboy

HSC
I don't know. I'd say they would. Or else where could people write out rhythm notations or melodies?
I normally just wrote them on the lines provided, though granted I only notated rhythms.

And for that other person, it was Kenny Ball, Kenny Baker and Acker Bilk =)

sungpwa

HSC
FUCKKK i put the kazoo sounding instrument as a synth keyboard

it sounded like it!

sungpwa

HSC
waittttttt a minuteeee sure you say its a medieval piece but that doesn't nessicarily mean it was recorded with medival instruments

Freckles14

HSC
I loved, this paper. So much so that I added that unnecessary comma :)
The Mika song = :D. I was telling myself all day that there wouldn't be a song I knew or liked in there but was proved wrong :) And it being a pitch question? Even more awesome :)

Seriously, Q1 was medieval? I had no idea about that, I just wrote everything I heard. I said the "kazoo" sounding instrument was strings, it had a stringsy kind of quality to the sound - wouldn't kazoo have a little feedback from the act of blowing into it? (Crap explanation, I know - I mean like, you can hear the THTHTHTH sound of playing a kazoo.) I said the second instrument was a "koto? or similar Eastern stringed instrument" because I basically had no idea and figured a guess was better than nothing :) using my amazing knowledge of the recorded sounds in the keyboard I used to play at home.

I had a little bit of trouble with Version 1 in Q3; just it was shorter and I couldn't think by that stage, because I had Grace Kelly in my head still :) But otherwise good.

Q4 I said texture with reference to performing media because I could identify all the instruments - that and I couldn't talk about pitch or duration without mentioning the other one. Okay you know that scary screechy laugh thing in there? What the hell was it? I just put "scary screechy laugh" :S

Filled up all the lines! :D So happy about that. Yay music not screwing us over!

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Yeah but a kazoo? Haha. Kazoos are great.

I think if you clearly described what you heard (without putting a name to the instrument) and how the instrument was being played then it should be fine. I mean the markers should have to know that if they were actually traditional medieval instruments then a lot of students would not have been able to name them correctly unless they actually studied medieval music for the prelim/HSC or just so happen to have an interest in medieval music OR just know a lot about all different sorts of instruments in general. As long as you identified what the instrument sounded like/how the instrument was being played then I think you'll get a mark.

chuboy

HSC
waittttttt a minuteeee sure you say its a medieval piece but that doesn't nessicarily mean it was recorded with medival instruments
Of course not, it was hardly mixed into a .wav master track in the 1100s. But the name of the performing artist and the recognisable instrumentation used implies kazoo would be an unlikely choice. It did sound like one though...

Freckles14

HSC
Was this the guy who was also doing the 'bap bap bup', 'blah de blah' backing vocal type thing in the really gravelly sort of voice?
The scat? Yeah I think it might have been the same guy, though then again it may have been the main vocalist as well.

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
Yeah, that really harsh, scratchy, scatty section was the main vocalist. You could hear it. It was the weirdest thing though! How can someone do that to their voice!?
Either he was scatting REALLY fast, or he was placing a heap of tension in his voice and releasing the tension quickly which singing.
I thought that part was really creepy actually :p

big_jezza

HSC
that was the easiest music exam ive had in my years of doing music at school, question 1 i wrote eerie - the idiophone, majestic - the chordophone, nasaly - the aerophone, question 2 was easy, i LOVE that song, especially that acoustic version, his voice has such a wide range, and that was demonstrated on the piano aswell, almost a call and response pattern between vocals and piano, question 3, i wrote as much as i could, i dont really know how i went, and question 4 really stuffed me up, i just did the best i could.

just out of curiosity, what is the scaling like for music 1, im expecting high band 5 / low band 4, as a raw mark, will that scale to a band 6 ??

Markoy

HSC
I liked how they had the name three tone color instrument you hear question. Or something amidst that line.

matrilldah

HSC
i though this is exam was pretty simple. the questions were straight forward, the extracts short and all were easily relatable. the mika question especially- pitch - so simple! the final question, sherman and sherman and his jazzmen, everyone was dancing in their seats. was the most relaxed exam i've done yet! :)

sungpwa

HSC
every single music exam i do i find a new song that i love and have to find it
it was "i wanna be like you" this time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)