Thoughts on Sturt's Dreaming (1 Viewer)

SPX

Lets share our perspectives towards the poem. Such as issues, ideas, your interpretation and any comments. By the way how can I relate the poem to the statement:
"Your perspectives change with your experiences".

HSC
N/A
We did that in class....

All I have to say is that Sturt's a fool! And his dream was an empty one...he's an idiot for going through life trying to find something that didn't even exist...seriously, if you don't find it after all that time then *maybe* you should just let it go!!??

So basically the poem is trying to make us think that Sturt's some brave heroic guy "efficient explorer", who also happens to be a loving husband "charlot called him charlie dear" (yeah right...how loving can he be if he spent all his time in the desert looking for water :lol: ) anyway...the poem basically tries to change your perspective on Sturt and his (over-the-top) dream he was attached to. And that even though he didn't find his inland sea he was noble for trying blah blah blah every f***** minute he thought about the sea "coolying lapping in his mind" that's what gave him the inspiration and energy to keep going....along the way men died because of his stupid dream, not that he cared, cause he kept on going showing how brave he was...which he wasn't cause he pyschotically obsessed!!

In conclusion, Sturt's a loser and his dream was worthless. :teacher:

*I hold no responsibility for changing anyone's perspective*

big_will08

hmmm this is what i saw when i looked at the poem:

i think the poem is to show the viewer the contrasts between the world of the whiteman and the world of the aboriginal. The imagery of the "boat" reflects the aboriginal's "dreaming" when they reminisce about their origin.

i dont know about your school but my school is using the text "the dreamers" and this poem is really good to use as a supplementary text with it. (ie transition of aboriginal "dreamtime" to the life of the aboriginal in today's society [redfern, drinking turps, etc])

there is one thing id like to know: did sturt make it alive? i mean, when he decided that nothing is there...did he survive or did he die like the rest of them?(blaxland, etc)

HSC
N/A
he survived....
but died a couple of years later

bigwill that's an interesting view you have relating to the aboriginals.....
what AOS are you doing?? what's your core text

big_will08

hmmm at my school the advanced are doing changing self and standard are doing changing worlds

i was in advanced but decided to drop down to standard at end of year 11, even tho i got a 60ish mark and beat most of advanced students!!

ummm like i said before, my core text is "the dreamers". dont know about yours but "sturts dreaming" is really relevent to my text!

HSC
N/A
I'm doing changing perspectives...
but I'm not doing sturt's dreaming

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)