• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Thoughts people. (1 Viewer)

geezer

HSC
NSW public school students are to acknowledge Aborigines as the original custodians of the land, under new Department of Education guidelines.
The Aboriginal "welcome to country" greeting and the "acknowledgement of country" will be performed at assemblies and other formal school functions. They are already used at functions attended by NSW and federal ministers, including the federal Education Minister, Brendan Nelson, but their extension to NSW public schools and TAFE is an Australian first, and have been hailed by Aboriginal leaders as a major milestone towards reconciliation.
The president of the NSW Aboriginal Education Consultative Group, Dave Ella, said the greetings would engender respect towards indigenous people and raise students' self-esteem.
"It's probably one of the biggest developments since the reconciliation Bridge walk [in 2000]," he said. "The community is really excited about it."
The state Education and Aboriginal Affairs Minister, Andrew Refshauge, said the guidelines were not mandatory but were a "useful" way of explaining the proper form of address and acknowledgement. "People do want to recognise the traditional owners, that's been part of a growing feeling about people understanding our history and having respect," he said. "And all political parties have agreed that respect is the starting point you need for reconciliation."
The guidelines, which will be implemented this year, explain the "welcome to country" can take the form of a speech or a dance but can only be performed by an Aboriginal elder. The acknowledgement, which can be said by anyone, recognises the school event is "taking place on the country of the traditional custodians". Both would show "respect for Aboriginal people as Australia's first peoples".
For Aborigines in Sydney, around the CBD, eastern suburbs and inner west, the greeting would be: "I would like to acknowledge the Gadigal people, who are the traditional custodians of this land. I would also like to pay respect to the elders, both past and present, of the Eora nation and extend that respect to other Aboriginals present."
The plan originated with Aboriginal teachers in the NSW Teachers Federation and was adopted by the Education Department and the Aboriginal Educational Consultative Group, which advises the Government.
The senior vice-president of the federation, Angelo Gavrielatos, said using the greeting in schools was emblematic of Aborigines' "rightful place" in Australia's history. "It will have an incredibly positive effect on Aboriginal students across the state. They will be able to feel pride in terms of their inheritance and identity," he said.
A recent state government review highlighted the acknowledgement of Aboriginal identity - inextricably linked to "belonging to the land and to each other" - as important to improving the performance of indigenous students.
The review found Aboriginal students were up to five years behind non-Aboriginal students in reading and writing by year 7.

FROM THE SMH

I don’t particularly want to spend valuable learning time reciting a speech, nor do I think it will help. I already acknowledge it was there’s first I don’t need to remind my self, is this just bureaucratic affirmative action.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
so now they have to sing the anthem and do the whole greeting thing..........geez.....when r they going to do some learning???? :p

Generator

HSC
N/A
The Aboriginal "welcome to country" greeting and the "acknowledgement of country" will be performed at assemblies and other formal school functions.
Valuable learning time? Right...

A recent state government review highlighted the acknowledgement of Aboriginal identity - inextricably linked to "belonging to the land and to each other" - as important to improving the performance of indigenous students.
The review found Aboriginal students were up to five years behind non-Aboriginal students in reading and writing by year 7.
If it may help level the playing field and instill a greater sense of respect within the student body at large, then why not?

Last edited:

geezer

HSC
I personally cant see how it will "level the playing field" as far as I can see it will create more isolation between the aborigines and non-aborigines, as it singles the aborigines out, and puts special attention on them, and at my school that’s the last thing needed especially if the aborigines begin to think they own the place, it will cause more trouble then its worth, given the already high tension and misbehaviour caused by the aboriginal students, who in relation to "The review found Aboriginal students were up to five years behind non-Aboriginal students in reading and writing by year 7.” never/ very rarely attend class let alone focus or contribute helpfully. For example one aboriginal student in year 9 turned up to a math test without a calculator the teacher lent him one, which he did not have to do, anyway halfway through the calculator stopped working and in a show of appreciation the kid threw it at the teacher spat at him then stormed out, with no questions answered, in the end he got an estimation mark, and no punishment, except a trip to MacDonalds to “discuss” what he had done.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
At UTS they do this often at the start of our lectures (at least in the humanities faculty).... basically it is pointless tokenism. It is a shallow gesture to feign solidarity which does not exist amongst the broader Australian public. Recognizing traditional land owners is not going to improve literacy and numeracy among Aboriginal students. The government should be focusing it's time and energy on real solutions for those problems instead of concocting ways to make it seem as if they care about Indigenous Australians instead of actually caring for them by searching for real solutions to social problems. This is a stupid quick fix idea that won't make a difference but will stop people whinging about the racial divide in schools for a few months at least, and that is all the government cares about. They need to find real solutions to the social problems facing many Indigenous communities.

I don't think this level the playing field in any way..... trying to guilt non indigenous Australia in to acknowledging Indigenous Australia in this way is only going to create further tension....

But ultimately, it's not that big a deal if they do it. I think it should be left up to the individual school if it is suitable for their area etc if they implement it, and when it is said blah blah. It's not going to change anything for the better though, and that is what people should be aiming for instead of building up shaky foundations of token gestures towards the Indigenous community which will carry little meaning or sincerity from the majority of people.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Any post I make in regards to this would be deleted on a public forum.

K

katie_tully

I already acknowledge that the Aboriginals were the first inhabitants of this land. I disagree though with this instatement of a welcome speech. At Forbes High, where I did year 10, our whole school/community assemblies where opened by an Aboriginal teacher. He couldn't speak a word of his language, he had it written down on paper and read it off there continuously. At Condobolin Primary school it is compulsary to study/learn an aboriginal language. I don't disagree with this to some extent, considering I've had to learn Japanese, German and French unwillingly.
When I first heard about this, I was told we had to sing an aboriginal national anthem along with the Australian National Anthem, and this struck me as odd. They never had a national anthem, they were a nomadic race ffs. There was no sense of unity, so whoever came up with this national anthem was obviously pissing in our ears.
How many elders are there around anyway, enough to go around every school?

This isn't a step forward to reconcilliation. This is just the government pissing in everybodys ears, doing a side step away from the actual problem, whatever that may be.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
At uws at the hawkesbury campus our lecturers are always going on about the aboriginal people whose lands we are on. And it was a real pain when our aboriginal teacher said it ... then she wouldn't shut up. Everyone just sat in the lecture and rolled their eyes ... they didn't really give a toss ... they just came to the lecture to learn.

Its not like every school sings the national anthem before class anyway ... i don't even remember how it goes ... lol.

Its not going to reconcille between indigenous and non indigenous people ... i think its going create a further rift between the two ... many non indigenous people might look at it and say why do they get a meantion ... especially if this is done in primary schools.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I would like to acknowledge the fact that the Aborigine people are descendants of the people of what is now China and the rest of South East Asia, and therefore the land belongs to me.

G

Gavvvvvin

I remember these abos came to our school and started doing all these wacky dances, and threatened to kick me and my mate out because we were laughing our asses off :p

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
yes, ATSI have been privy to discrimination, they have suffered a lot
but, this is taking it too far, people are taking advantage of the situ
blah blah, cbf arguing

iamsickofyear12

HSC
The aborginals lost their land a long time ago. Now most of them are just troublemakers. They shouldn't be recognised in any way. Even when they had Australia to themselves they were useless. They didn't even have houses or a written language or anything. Complete morons.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
The aborginals lost their land a long time ago. Now most of them are just troublemakers. They shouldn't be recognised in any way. Even when they had Australia to themselves they were useless. They didn't even have houses or a written language or anything. Complete morons.
Thats a bit harsh and sterotypical isn't it!

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
fuck off u ignorant moron..........

Last edited:

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
To an extent it's true. While the Aborigine people have faced discrimination, this was Long before any of today's society were even born. NONE of the aborigine people alive - and I repeat NONE - were around when white people settled in this country, and NONE of them had land stolen. They have the same opportunities and obligations that every single other citizen in this country has, they don't deserve any more or any less because of their heritage.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes not because of their heritage, but i agree with supporting their education costs because the aboriginal people really don't have many educated representatives.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)