Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

r0kstar

HSC
JamesTockuss said:
I agree. I think the question was more looking at the fact that Ethanol is not in fact carbon neutral, as you need to expend so much energy when you are producing ethanol from cellulose. And then I guess you had to talk about whether or not it was good for fighting against global warming - which it is, because unlike petrol the CO2 that it expels it absorbed by plants, which are used to make ethanol - wheras petrol is from petroleum - and thus it minimises global warming
yay!! good thats wat i put too...
i put in a photosynthesis reaction to show where co2 goes... is that rite?

fishbulb

HSC
r0kstar said:
yep thats right. i also talked about incomplete combustion and that carbon monoxide is still poisonous as it prevents oxygen binding to haemaglobin.

Zephyrio

HSC
For the ethanol 5 marker, I thought it was necessary to bring in one point about moral/ethical issues. For example, the information is made less reliable because of its source: a car manufacturer. I thought they gave us detail on the source of the information for a reason, and since they like that ethical stuff nowadays I shoved it in.

Then, I went onto say that ethanol is not carbon neutral because it use used in petrol and so promotes CO2 production, and then that producing the ethanol takes a lot of effort and energy.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Crap, what was the 17th question again? Anyone remembers the exact words?

lil-monkey

HSC
i think the paper was easier then past papers, but I dont think i went as well as i could of. I completely forgot how to do the simple calculations which is where the majority of my lost marks went.
On the other hand I was so happy for industrial Chem. to me that was the hardest topic while studying but i think it was EASY in the exam. so lucky didnt ask for much of the processes (although because i studied them like crazy i might have been able to do all of them lol)
anyways... what ever happens happens...only one more exam then the HSC IS FINALLY OVER!!!!!
prob should go study now :uhoh:

r0kstar

HSC
Zephyrio said:
For the ethanol 5 marker, I thought it was necessary to bring in one point about moral/ethical issues. For example, the information is made less reliable because of its source: a car manufacturer. I thought they gave us detail on the source of the information for a reason, and since they like that ethical stuff nowadays I shoved it in.

Then, I went onto say that ethanol is not carbon neutral because it use used in petrol and so promotes CO2 production, and then that producing the ethanol takes a lot of effort and energy.
yeh i sed that it had commercial bias

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Please, anyone remember the exact wording of the question for water?

danz90

HSC
Undermyskin said:
Please, anyone remember the exact wording of the question for water?
This is what I remember.

Using TWO examples, describe how features of your local? catchment area determines the way in which water is treated to a safe standard.

samwell

HSC
r0kstar said:
its rite but i didnt put it.
i did fermenation, combustion, hydration eqn
i did not write the photosynthesis eqn

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Crap. I'm totally stuffed. OMG. I know I stuffed up that water question. OK, So how do you answer it? I skipped it! :(

Zephyrio

HSC
danz90 said:
This is what I remember.

Using TWO examples, describe how features of your local? catchment area determines the way in which water is treated to a safe standard.
Lol, I totally bs'd this question.

I talked about farming/agriculture = more emphasis placed on taking sulfates and nitrates from the water, as well as microorganisms from the water from manure e.g. giardia. Use coagulants for the sulfates, chlorine for the microbes.

Then I talked if your water catchment is near caves or something, you have basic carbonates entering the water so you have to add some acid to neutralise the water. Then use coagulants to filter out the insoluble things! Lol!!

samwell

HSC
lil-monkey said:
i think the paper was easier then past papers, but I dont think i went as well as i could of. I completely forgot how to do the simple calculations which is where the majority of my lost marks went.
On the other hand I was so happy for industrial Chem. to me that was the hardest topic while studying but i think it was EASY in the exam. so lucky didnt ask for much of the processes (although because i studied them like crazy i might have been able to do all of them lol)
anyways... what ever happens happens...only one more exam then the HSC IS FINALLY OVER!!!!!
prob should go study now :uhoh:
me 2 one more in like 20 hrs.

christiee

HSC
meh i said that also but who cares!!
FINISHED HSC NOW :)
bring on the party!!

SkimDawg

Feeling Good
HSC
Sigh I missed the "your local catchment". Might still get 3 marks though, as I mentioned two techniques, ect.

Undermyskin

Self-delusive
HSC
Zephyrio said:

I talked about farming/agriculture = more emphasis placed on taking sulfates and nitrates from the water, as well as microorganisms from the water from manure e.g. giardia. Use coagulants for the sulfates, chlorine for the microbes.

Then I talked if your water catchment is near caves or something, you have basic carbonates entering the water so you have to add some acid to neutralise the water. Then use coagulants to filter out the insoluble things! Lol!!
Now thinking back, I say it would be about using AAS and BOD or anything else to determine the level of impurities.

Um not sure tho. This question is bloody ambiguous. Is it about filtration and the like? OMG!

danz90

HSC
Zephyrio said:

Lol I bs'd it too.

One point I looked at was the volume of the water body as a whole. Chlorination would be a much more effective way of treating the water for microorganisms, than something like reverse osmosis - due to high costs yadda yadda.

Then my 2nd point related to any industrial sites in proximity leaching out toxic wastes such as heavy metals in effluents. precipitation and microfiltration would need 2 be used bla bla.
lol

tau281290

HSC

I went on and disagree with the statement from the car manufacturer. I didn't agree at all. I think i did the same thing as you. Does that make us "critically evaluate" the issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)