Tiberius Gracchus Assignment need help (1 Viewer)

theorater4321

HSC
Please help me with these questions any input would be a great help. It's due next monday and i'm struggling to find information.

A) Explain why Octavius, Scipio Nasica and Scipio Aemilianus opposed Tiberius Gracchus

This is to be 1-2 pages tped and is worth 10 marks

B) Assess the impact of Tiberius Gracchus Reforms

2-4 pages, typed and is worth 15 marks.

Please any suggestions would be great, i really need it especially for A and B

Bainesy

HSC
well for A, octavius, who had a relative, i think a cousin, who was a senator, and a powerful senator at that. Cicero says something like "Octavius, influenced by his cousin, a senator of powerful standing..." and that was why he was against tiberius

Scipio was against him because Tiberius's sister was meant to marry Nasica, but she married Aemilianus instead of nasica. She did that because Nasica was switching factions, to become a claudian member which Tiberius's sister didnt like, and so Nasica didnt like Tiberius because of what happened with Tiberius's sister

And Aemilianus didnt like Tiberius for the lex Agaria law that tiberius wanted because Aemilianus had the most land of any person in Rome and so he would lose the most land. Scullard, a historian, also said "Aemilianus was opposed to Tiberius due to a disagreement that had arose in Carthage, which, over time, grew to a fierce resentment of the other"

hope that helps, I'll ask my teacher tomorrow about the second question.

Bainesy

HSC
asked my teacher today about those questions. she said to also include that most senators didnt like tribunes because they cause too much trouble

and for the second question, the impact one, she said to focus on the death of tiberius as his death was because of his controversal reforms. she also said that those reforms could ruin Rome, and that is why the senators were against them

so just talk about his death and how his reforms would destroy rome

I hope this helps, i know how hard Tiberius is *sigh*

theorater4321

HSC
Thanks for that information man

It's been a real help i was looking for some scipio informations and now i have some i reckon the stuuf you wrote for the first question about hs sister was good and thanks for the scullard quote my teacher really likes it when you can back up your source with a quote it's going to be in my opening pararaph.

But do you have any more information on Octavius with quotes?

Last edited:

Thekirk

HSC
well i can help you with that.

My counter part here has given you some good points but here is the real good stuff. Band 6 style.

You asked for Octavius information. Here is some good points.
Octavius opposed Tiberius gracchus because the senate allowed Tiberius to marry into the scipio faction and out of the Claudii faction. Scullard says "Tiberius secured the marriage into the scipiones and by doing this blocked any chance Octavius had in marrying into the Scipio's" Feeling threatened Octavius sought out to destroy Tiberius out jealousy. He would block out Tiberius' land bill by veto's. Ciciero says "Octavius blocked the lex Agraria in order to stop Tiberius in giving more land to the rich" (this is a good quote and is rare I advise you to use it) With the land bill unable to go ahead Tiberius had to depose Octavius. You should know this bit. Later towards the end of Tiberius life Octavius delivered the final blow which ended not only the life of Tiberius but that of himself as he killed Tiberius. After killing him he tried to dump the body in the river tiber. But Octavius' foot got stuck on reeds and he drowned. Herodotus say "as Octavius drowned in the river tiber his final words were that he should have been a scipio, he later cursed Tiberius"

So i hope that helps you i know that Tiberius is really hard, i'm glad to help at any time. By the way good luck in your assignment i hope it helps you and anyone else from your class who views this thread.

AK81

HSC
Thekirk said:
Octavius opposed Tiberius gracchus because the senate allowed Tiberius to marry into the scipio faction and out of the Claudii faction.

Ciciero says "Octavius blocked the lex Agraria in order to stop Tiberius in giving more land to the rich"
Ok firstly, doesnt Tiberius marry into the Claudii faction out of the Scipio (his mother was a scipio), not the other way around? I think ur gettin mixed up with his father.. who has the same name...

And isnt Tiberius trying to give more land to the poor not the rich?

i might be wrong.. not completely sure...

44Ronin

HSC
theorater4321 said:
Please any suggestions would be great, i really need it especially for A and B
Go to the state library.

Bainesy

HSC
AK81 said:
Ok firstly, doesnt Tiberius marry into the Claudii faction out of the Scipio (his mother was a scipio), not the other way around? I think ur gettin mixed up with his father.. who has the same name...

And isnt Tiberius trying to give more land to the poor not the rich?

i might be wrong.. not completely sure...
yea its the other way round. Tiberius is wealthy and wants to give more land to the rich, and therefore give more land to himself so he gets richer.

its a complicated story

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)