tim winton = sex addict? (1 Viewer)

aussie-boy

HSC
(we are doing cloudstreet at school)

this is not a joke post... it is something that really annoys me about Cloudstreet and other Winton novels

To me, he seems overly obsessed with human bodily functions. Whenever describing characters he always talks about their breast, bottoms and penises. He describes sexual encounters in over the top vivid detail and uses coarse words like guts and talks about characters' abilities to urinate. And then there is the sphincter quote.

So I think Winton's writing is vulgar to put it in one word. From reading his self-critiquing and the reviews of others, it is suggested that this style of writing reflects Australia... and naturally I completely disagree with this. I think Mr Winton should get over his primordial obsessions and not make HSC students read such trash.

other than that, the actual stories are ok

now that my rant is over, what to people think - is it just me being over-conservative, or has stylistic literature really gone too far when it falls to Winton's low level

HSC
i dislike tim wintons writing. we had to read it a book of his for year 9.

though...alot of the "postmodern" novels do go into graphic detail.

i remember doing snow falling on cedars last year and reading "...his scrotum slapped against her skin..." ...and then the stuff on the lawyer...

die postmodernists...die.

solomarc20

*Yawn
HSC
N/A
He was a bit 2 descriptive describing the sex in Dirt Music... But if u go beyond that, his texts aren't 2 bad...

Foxodi

HSC
Hah yeah, sex scenes are defiantly over represented in Cloudstreet, and he goes into unnecessary detail. But still, it made for a more interesting read.

law

HSC
N/A
I like Tim Winton, he writes in a very abstract/ symbolic way a lot of the time. I agree that Cloudstreet/ Dirt Music do have a few references to sex but I guess that just adds to the reality of life.

READ CLIVE JAMES' UNRELIABLE MEMOIRS - NOW THAT'S VULGARITY!!!

ikarusdanoz

HSC
I would have to say Winton's writing style is pretty unique, but irritating for alot of people. Yes, his novels are generally very over-the-top descriptive but then again, that helps when studying them for english, because you've got alot of literary techniques to analyse.

In terms of being a sex addict...I've read The Riders and the scene in Amsterdam makes Winton sound like hes been to brothels or something lol

but like...he uses the sex imagery for a reason, not coz he gets gratification from using it

Last edited:

umaycallmealex

HSC
i dunno, i reckon it is not a mistake of a novel to realistically represent the physical aspects of the world. an author has every right to do so - particularly considering here it's not grotesque or perverse but in fact just damn real.
if you are squeamish then that is an issue of personal preference (and a completely legitimate personal preference) but it is by no means a failing of the text or of tim winton's moral calibre.
if it detracts from the success of the novel because it's so confronting it distracts one from the rest of the text, that's one thing; but the use of strong corporeal imagery is not in and of itself condemnable - stylistically or morally.

anyhow, it's not like sex and urination are particularly appalling - in fact, i think you'll find they're both really quite popular at the moment...

Last edited:

sajad07

HSC
we're doing it for adv english and i cant find any plot summaries

i dnt think anyone is fuked enough to read it

jesuslovesyou

HSC
i agree that it is at times vulgar as he is just too descriptive or writes things that just aren't neccesary. i am not looking forward to reading it aloud in class, i go to a catholic school!, as we usually get class members to read as characters, a joke in my class is that every second page someone is having it off.

takito

HSC
I agree that Winton highlights vulgarity in situations to a great extent however you're indeed right it's a device used to exentuate the theme of nostalgia and the unique identity of Australia. In my opinion though Winton does seem to purposely ostracise these events from others.

rachinie

HSC
i wouldnt describe tim wimton as a sex addict at all - certainly he describes bodily functions and sex in perhaps not the best light but arent these things which we all avoid talking about or reading about. in many other books sex is mentioned euphamistically or jsut in passing. its refreshing to know that there is some one out there who takes the step into the real world because it is like that whether we like it or not and avoiding a subject or written text because its 'icky' is silly, you'll have to get over it sooner or later in anycase

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
sajad07 said:
we're doing it for adv english and i cant find any plot summaries

i dnt think anyone is fuked enough to read it
That's why 8 other students in your class read it...

Cloudstreet simply magnificent; yes Winton's wirting is very explicit at times but hey isn't that the society we're living in

wellz1234

HSC
ok... me and my friend read his latest book. it was soppose to be about a guy finding himself after a tragedy... the book was about a boy who had sex with a pregnat whilst strangeling her with a plastic bag... wtf?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
wellz1234 said:
ok... me and my friend read his latest book. it was soppose to be about a guy finding himself after a tragedy... the book was about a boy who had sex with a pregnat whilst strangeling her with a plastic bag... wtf?
"breath", and it's fantastic you gronk.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Mabye you should ask yourself why vivid description of meaningfull, passionate sex bothers you so much? It's just sex.

"sex addict" is a bit over the top, he just writes about sex a bit, and it's fairly central and meaningfull to his characters relationships and development. Most people are preoccupied with sex, or thoughts thereof, a fair amount of each day, Winton is just more honest and open about it, and any deviancy he describes is hardly extreme compared to some of the stuff people are involved in. He is an honest man, true to himself, true to god, and true to everybody else.

janaranaran!

HSC
I'll admit when I was first introduced to Winton's work with 'that eye, the sky' I was a little taken aback by his frankness (even though that book is very tame compared to others).

Once you get past that initial ewww reaction though, I found I really appreciated his idiosyncratic, slightly surreal at times style, and I don't think his books would be as meaningful or impactful without those kinds of descriptions

lukey321

HSC
i'm sorry your post is really stupid.... he does get into sex in great detail but i would hardly call it trash, and they call him a great Autralian writer because of these other stories you are so fond of. The sex is not the Australian part. idiot, No offense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)